• Priscilla

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Barnabas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not listed

• Do not care

• Holy Spirit (even though you said human author, I have to say who is the primary author)

• Mystery (for Grant Jones, so I better see at least one Cote)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jude (for Post Tenebras so one vote expected. Grant, spelled it right this time!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he disqualified from summarizing a Paul sermon?

Edited: removed snarky comment.

There are commands which are to be followed. Our faith is built on a foundation of the prophets and apostles. Which Luke is not.

There are commands which are to be followed. Our faith is built on a foundation of the prophets and apostles. Which Luke is not.

In that case it was rather presumptuous of him to take upon himself to write an orderly account of Jesus' life. What was wrong with the other ones?

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first for you, most excellent

EDIT: Didn't copy/paste right.

So strictly speaking, according to your logic, Luke isn't good enough to give commands but he is good enough to write a gospel. So can I say that my faith is built on the Gospel, at least?

Last edited:
Should we disregard the theology extracted from Acts? God entrusted Luke, through the Holy Spirit's guidance, to give us the history-altering account of Pentecost. There are some important verses in Acts that build upon our understanding of Baptism, Covenantal familial blessings, and the sealing of the Holy Spirit. I would have to disagree with your line of thinking.

Should we disregard the theology extracted from Acts? God entrusted Luke, through the Holy Spirit's guidance, to give us the history-altering account of Pentecost. There are some important verses in Acts that build upon our understanding of Baptism, Covenantal familial blessings, and the sealing of the Holy Spirit. I would have to disagree with your line of thinking.

A historical account of what happened, and the telling of such, conveys an account of the work of the apostles.

In that case it was rather presumptuous of him to take upon himself to write an orderly account of Jesus' life. What was wrong with the other ones?

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first for you, most excellent

EDIT: Didn't copy/paste right.

So strictly speaking, according to your logic, Luke isn't good enough to give commands but he is good enough to write a gospel. So can I say that my faith is built on the Gospel, at least?

What is your foundation built upon?

What is your foundation built upon?

Hopefully the same one as Luke's. No one is disputing that the foundation is built on the prophets and apostles. What we are disputing is the overly strict schema you've constructed, which if followed consistently, would leave Luke out

And to say that non-apostles/prophets can't give commands ignores the Reformed teaching of Good and Necessary Consequence.

For example, I have every right tell a believer that he is bound to confess God as 3 Persons/1 nature, yet no apostle ever said those words.

And to make matters much, much worse (and this is the ultimate clincher), assuming that "prophets" = NT prophets, and that prophets could give commands, this means Phillip's daughters could give commands.

So now we have the weird situation where Phillip's daughters could give theological commands to the church, whereas Luke couldn't!

Hopefully the same one as Luke's. No one is disputing that the foundation is built on the prophets and apostles. What we are disputing is the overly strict schema you've constructed, which if followed consistently, would leave Luke out

The "good and necessary" flows from the teaching of the Prophets and Apostles which is inscripturated.

And to say that non-apostles/prophets can't give commands ignores the Reformed teaching of Good and Necessary Consequence.

For example, I have every right tell a believer that he is bound to confess God as 3 Persons/1 nature, yet no apostle ever said those words.

And to make matters much, much worse (and this is the ultimate clincher), assuming that "prophets" = NT prophets, and that prophets could give commands, this means Phillip's daughters could give commands.

So now we have the weird situation where Phillip's daughters could give theological commands to the church, whereas Luke couldn't!

You assume the the daughters were doing the same thing as the prophets and apostles.

You assume the the daughters were doing the same thing as the prophets and apostles.

Earl,

It may be wise to slow down a little. Were Luke's biblical writings (Luke, Acts) inspired? Paul infers at least that the book of Luke is inspired (1 Tim. 5:18). If inspired, they were also prophetic. You are creating a false dichotomy.

Last edited:

Jacob,

You now have the best avatar you ever have had since my time on PB. I hope this one stays longer.

Last edited:
I went with Paul for the reasons stated by John Owen. Beyond that, I wouldn't fight over it.

Whenever I read Hebrews I think of Luke 24:27. We get something like the Emmaus disciples got; it is a real blessing.

Of course it is. What we have is Luke telling us what happened and in it he does not instruct like Jesus and the apostles, or James (an early TE) did.

That only punts the problem when we get to Hebrews. We know it wasn't written by an apostle because he "heard the message delivered." Yet this guy presumes to instruct us.

I came across James White saying he thought Luke wrote (because of language) Hebrews based on a Paul sermon (because of theology). There was a post on the board that posited the same in an external link.

Does anyone on the board have any insights? I would not have the skill to analyze this, beyond saying "that theory sounds good".

I also added a poll.

P.S. if Luke, then Paul and Luke certainly have even more % of the New Testament.
This is a classic view. That Hebrews is a sermon is partly attested by the fact that it refers to itself as a "word of encouragement" (Heb 13:22) much in the same way that a sermon in Acts was called (Acts 13:15). Often, people cite Origen on the authorship issue of Hebrews essentially saying "who knows?" However, David Alan Black believes he was referring to the guy who penned it but not the speaker. In other words,, Black thinks Origen was saying it was likely Paul who preached it and whether it was Luke or someone else who wrote it down, "In truth, God knows." See here: https://www.daveblackonline.com/origen_on_the_authorship_of_hebr.htm

So White was presenting a popular and classic view.

Which verse are you referring to?

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him" - Hebrews 2:3 - The Holy Bible: King James Version.

This guy is a second-hand source, not an apostle. Apostles were eyewitnesses of Christ. The author of Hebrews isn't.

How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him" - Hebrews 2:3 - The Holy Bible: King James Version.

This guy is a second-hand source, not an apostle. Apostles were eyewitnesses of Christ. The author of Hebrews isn't.

This could be Paul.

Jacob,

Could not an apostle truthfully make that same claim? Was not the gospel further confirmed by the miracles of the apostolic gifts? Even an apostle could have said that the apostolic ministry was a secondary confirming.

Jacob,

Could not an apostle truthfully make that same claim? Was not the gospel further confirmed by the miracles of the apostolic gifts? Even an apostle could have said that the apostolic ministry was a secondary confirming.

An apostle *saw* Christ and *got his ministry* directly from Christ. The author of Hebrews certainly did not.

An apostle *saw* Christ and *got his ministry* directly from Christ. The author of Hebrews certainly did not.

I understand your point, but Paul's direct instruction was not exactly equivalent to that of the other Apostles. Even so, the writer to the Hebrews does not say "confirmed unto me" but "confirmed unto us." It is easy to think he was speaking corporately and for the majority. Similarly, as a teacher, I might begin a summary by saying, "today we learned..." yet if I taught I necessarily exclude myself since I had to already know in order to teach.

:2cents:

Last edited:
p19d8uj8r8gup1fnv95ascoqb63.jpg

I rest my case. :rofl:

Even so, the writer to the Hebrews does not say "confirmed unto me" but "confirmed unto us."

Which is also something Paul would never have said. Had he said something like that in Jerusalem and Galatia, he would have been seen as a second-class apostle.

:scratch: (is this a confused emoji?)

Not following...

Galatians 1-2 is Paul's arguing that he received his gospel straight from Christ himself, which makes him an apostle. The author of hebrews is saying that he didn't get it straight from Christ himself.

Galatians 1-2 is Paul's arguing that he received his gospel straight from Christ himself, which makes him an apostle. The author of hebrews is saying that he didn't get it straight from Christ himself.

Not sure if you understand my point in post #55. Where does the writer to the Hebrews specifically state that he did not receive instruction from Christ individually? Heb. 2:3 doesn't seem to make clear what you propose.

In my best Inigo Montoya voice (*throat clear*) "I do not think it means what you think it means." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back