Humanism in English Grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidius

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I realized one way in which humanism has truly made inroads into the English language. The only pronoun which must always be capitalized is "I"! The only other time we capitalize pronouns is when we reference God!

I realized one way in which humanism has truly made inroads into the English language. The only pronoun which must always be capitalized is "I"! The only other time we capitalize pronouns is when we reference God!

Heh, except the capitalization of "I" first started in the middle of the 13th century (long before humanism) merely to make it obvious in manuscripts that it was a word, not a simple letter. It dervied from "ich", and when the consonant sound was dropped, they needed to do something to distinguish it.

Heh, except the capitalization of "I" first started in the middle of the 13th century (long before humanism) merely to make it obvious in manuscripts that it was a word, not a simple letter. It dervied from "ich", and when the consonant sound was dropped, they needed to do something to distinguish it.

Whatever. I refrain from capitalizing it all the time on AOL Instant Messenger and nobody has any problem distinguishing it. All i have to say is: "idolatry." ;)

DUDE?! How would you know this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back