Humble souls - Thomas Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berean

Puritanboard Commissioner
(Thomas Brooks, "The Unsearchable Riches of Christ!")

None on earth are so near to God, and so high in their communion with God--as humble souls. And as they have the clearest visions of God--so God gives them the fullest sight and knowledge of their own sinfulness and nothingness.

"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear--but now my eye has seen You. Therefore I abhor myself and repent in dust and ashes!" says Job.

In a vision the Lord reveals His glory to the prophet Isaiah, "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty!" Oh, the vision that I have had of the glory of God, has given me such a clear and full sight of my own vileness and baseness, that I cannot but loathe and abhor myself!

When Abraham draws near to God, then he accounts himself nothing but dust and ashes! Genesis 18:27.

When Peter saw that glorious miracle wrought by the Lord Jesus, he cries out as one very sensible of his own weakness and sinfulness, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" That is, "a man, a sinner"--a compound of dirt and sin! Ah! I am not worthy to be near such majesty and glory--who am a mere bundle of vice and vanity, of folly and iniquity!

The angels who are near God, who stand before Him, in humility cover their faces with two wings, as with a double scarf, in Isaiah 6:2.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

-- from Grace Gems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back