Hurricane Katrina: We're OK...Kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin.carroll

Puritan Board Junior
Dear Friends and Family,

This is my first opportunity to get word to everyone regarding our condition. As you know Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast on Monday as a Category 5 storm. While New Orleans is inexplicably getting all the press, the Mississippi Gulf Coast bore the brunt of the hurricane. Biloxi, Gulfport, Bay St. Louis, Pascagoula, Waveland, Moss Point, and Pass Christian are all but destroyed. Thousands of homes and businesses have been destroyed. It will be years before the rebuilding is complete. Katrina´s fury was not limited to the coast, however. From the coast she headed north/northeast and passed over Hattiesburg as a category 3 storm. They eye continued northeast, passing 15 miles east of our house as a strong category 2 or a weak category 3. We had sustained winds of 120 mph and torrential rains for over 6 hours. We lost power shortly before noon and have been without ever since. We were fortunate however. The damage to our home and to the church was minimal. But the county is absolutely devastated. 60-65% of the homes and businesses in Laurel (30 miles east) are destroyed. Trees are down everywhere. There is no power, mail has just resumed, power lines are down everywhere, many roads are still impassable.

Conditions are slowly improving, though. We can get around carefully but we have to watch our gas consumption. While the state is holding gas prices down, gas is hard to come by. Lines are long and rationing is in effect at many stations. Wal-mart finally reopened yesterday but they only let 20 people in at a time and they have practically nothing on their shelves anyhow: no meat, no vegetables, no frozen items, no batteries, and very expensive water ($.58/gallon before Katrina; $1.74 now!).

Our time is spent cooking food before it spoils (and we have to eat everything we cook!), trying to keep things sanitary, cleaning up storm damage, and hunting for gas and ice. Still we expect to be without power for another 2-4 weeks. We have gotten our hands on a generator. Because gas is so scarce, we only run it 3 hours in the morning and in the evening. Essentially we are just keeping the freezer cold but we do look at the news in the evenings (and, of course, this is how I am able to write you now!). We have also been out in the community a good deal, visiting folks, praying with people, and distributing what food and emergency supplies we can spare those who are worse off.

We did have church yesterday (the only church in town that did!) and attendance was good. It was hot and dark, but it was good to worship together. After church we got a pallet of bottled water (a gift from Miami, FL) delivered. I spent the rest of the day driving all over the community giving water to those who are without.

If anyone can help out, we would really appreciate it. We (and by "œwe" I also include the members of our church) could use:

Batteries, especially C and D cells;
Dry ice;
Plastic silverware;
Diapers and baby food (we have a couple of 1-2 year olds in the church);
Canned food (veggies, fruit, meat).

All of these things are in very short supply and hard to come by. I hate to mention a personal need but I will anyhow: While we rejoice in having a generator, it hit our wallets very hard: $712. We were able to pay cash for it, but it leaves very little for gas and other necessities for the rest of the month. Any contributions of any sort would be very much appreciated.

You can mail any assistance to:

Kevin Carroll

908 SCR 59

Mize, MS 39116.

Our phone service is spotty. We can receive calls at home but have a hard time calling out. Cellular is slowly returning but coverage is inconsistent. Our home number is 601-733-9042 and my cell is 601-832-2421.

Finally, pray for all of us. This is hard on the body, the emotions, and the soul. Tempers are short and frustrations high. Pray that we will live out Christ´s admonitions to not worry but seek Him. Also pray for my school situation. With limited power, I am unable to use the PC long enough to get any homework done, short of writing everything out by hand (by candlelight!). Gas is the bigger concern. It´s not that gas is expensive, there just isn´t much of it. I don´t know if I will even be able to commute back and forth this fall. I am going to plead for some sort of special dispensation from the school to keep my in classes. If that fails, I am faced with one of two unpleasant possibilities: one, spend the week in Jackson and come home on Friday nights. I don´t like this option for several reasons: I don´t really have anywhere to stay. I can´t afford a hotel room. And there are looters about. The police have advised me that people are getting a little crazy and this will continue till the lights come on. (I keep a shotgun close at hand for ugly situations.) I have no wish to leave the family alone after dark. The second option is to withdraw from classes unto J-term. Obviously I do not wish for that either. Please help us pray about the situation. Well, that´s it for now. I need to power down the generator. We miss and love all of you. Please feel free to pass this email on.

Love,

Kevin

Local churches in my community have banded to send a massive caravan of relief... It's Christian charity not the gov'ment that makes a difference in times of national calamity.

"Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ."
:)

Kevin,
If you think you can leave your family for a week (I understand your reluctance, though), I can put you up in my room and I'll take a couch. Also, there might be a room in my apartment that might open up in a week or so. But this isn't official so I can't promise an apartment room, although you can have my room.

Kevin,

It is good to hear from you. I am glad that nobody is hurt. Thanks for the update, and I will pray for you.

:pray2:

Praying for you and yours Kevin. I wish I didn't live so far away from where the need is. :( I will see if there is anything we can send you. I am so glad you have a generator to help you out. Praise God for that mercy!! :pray2:

Kevin,

I know you said your mail has resumed - but how reliable is it? We want to send up some things and we want to be sure you will actually get the package by mail.

Matt,

Kevin will be at my house tonight and I will tell him to post. Even if he does not have mail, you could always send stuff to me. Kevin's wife said that members of his church will be periodically in Jackson and could get stuff from me at the seminary (again, even if Kevin cannot).

Good to hear from you Kevin. And, I can relate all too well. I'll call later on.

Lawrence

Originally posted by webmaster
Kevin,

I know you said your mail has resumed - but how reliable is it? We want to send up some things and we want to be sure you will actually get the package by mail.

I honestly don't know. The carriers are coming by everyday, but I do not know if we are getting all that is sent. Does that make any sense?

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Kevin,
If you think you can leave your family for a week (I understand your reluctance, though), I can put you up in my room and I'll take a couch. Also, there might be a room in my apartment that might open up in a week or so. But this isn't official so I can't promise an apartment room, although you can have my room.

Thanks. Let's talk at chapel (after, I should say) tomorrow.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Kevin,

Thanks. Let's talk at chapel (after, I should say) tomorrow.

See you tomorrow.

Hello, everyone.

I wanted to let all of you know how grateful Tammy and I are to the PB for your generous gift. Katrina continues to affect us to this day. We have had my mother living with us for 2 months now because her house was severly damaged by the storm. Repairs are almost complete and she will hopefully be able to move into her own place next week. But it is amazing how much more it costs to feed just ONE more person. You're gift was very helpful. May God richly bless all of you for your generosity. Now, back to the salt mines!

It;s great to hear from you. So glad you and your family are okay.

Your in our prayers! Thank you for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back