Hyde Paper on Anointing with Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we aren't as desperate. We believers understand modern medical advancements are Providential help, and we still pray to God as the Healer of all our diseases.

But that blessing of modern medicine has also toned down the desperation of our prayer; and I think that the summoning of the elders (together with anointing) is a recognition of our desperation. So many formerly desperate situation are now more like "routine." We pray to God in routine situations all the time, and so did Christians in James' day, without the added summoning of elders. They were not necessarily lacking in diligence, nor have we necessarily been.

Yet, we perhaps have forgotten the utility James brings to mind, while we were being acclimated to the convenience. It might behoove us to make such anointing a deliberate part of any "special prayer service" called to plead with God for a particular healing (that he will it).

Rev. Hyde's conclusion:

"Thus, it is precisely because we as Calvinists believe in the Holy Spirit, “the Lord and Giver of life,” that we need to add to our elders’ existing ministry of prayer and care, the anointing and prayer over the seriously sick in our day. This is not only exegetically respectable, but also pastorally necessary."

I agree. Personally, I have never been smart enough to figure out why we shouldn't anoint with oil as James says.

Rev. Hyde's conclusion:

"Thus, it is precisely because we as Calvinists believe in the Holy Spirit, “the Lord and Giver of life,” that we need to add to our elders’ existing ministry of prayer and care, the anointing and prayer over the seriously sick in our day. This is not only exegetically respectable, but also pastorally necessary."

I agree. Personally, I have never been smart enough to figure out why we shouldn't anoint with oil as James says.
Same here

The oil and the holy kiss greeting are not removed with proper justification methinks!

Regarding the oil, if there is no solid evidence to not do it, then why don't we in humility, just do it? Benefit has to be given to do it rather than not do it. Besides, hands with good medicated oil is always a physical comfort at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back