I am apostating from Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as crappy as it is, I think that it actually got worse w/ IE 7.

Unless disaster occurs, Firefox is it for me, as it has been for the last three years. I'd make the jump to Camino on my Mac if it supported FF extensions, but alas.

I guess I don't know what I've been missing. I've been using IE forever and never really had any problems. :think:

I guess I don't know what I've been missing. I've been using IE forever and never really had any problems. :think:
Well, if you've been using IE forever than you've at least been missing tabbed browsing for years, since tabbed browsing has been in Firefox for a long time. ;)

I changed my mind. As bad as Firefox is (and it is bad), it is much better than IE.

I was going to post that you went out from us because you were not of us but I now see that it was not apostasy after all, but a brief period of backsliding!

As others have said, Opera is a rockin' browser. For basic web surfing, I think it's number one. It's a slim piece of software too. The only problem with it is that some sites aren't as compatible with it as you'd like.

:ditto:

I've been running Firefox as my primary browser for the past three years and have never encountered crash problems. :think:

Same here. Are you using Vista? I've been using Windows XP with no problems.

XP and now Vista. Firefox runs great. I only use IE to access my company intranet which will only work on IE. Other than that I am a Firefox man.

No need even for that:
mozdev.org - ietab: index

The problem is probably in Windows and not FF. I used FF on both PC and Mac (I have a school district issued laptop that I put Firefox on because they tried to make me use IE) with no crashes or very little.

Safari is my back-up browser.

If you want to become more of an apostate, you can get a Mac with OS X 10.5, add Ubuntu to it, and download Flock for a web browser for either Ubuntu or Mac or both.

Windows XP was a solid platform. But Vista on my newest laptop has me contemplating the strange fire of Mac. I just wish that Libronix had its Mac version out already. With more than 3,500 books in the Libronix format on my machine, it is prohibitive for me to change yet.

Well....there's the $79 option of installing Parallels (which enables you to seamlessly run Windows and Mac OS X at the same time). On top of it, Mac OS 10.5 comes with Bootcamp, which enables you to boot to Windows if you really like to torture yourself like Martin Luth....er......a.....if you really need to. Bootcamp comes free.

The latest version of Acrobat (not Reader) is very good and quick. Still takes up a lot of disk space (2GB), but in the days of cheap HDs, who cares?

Real Player is so bad that I have not even bothered to listen to .ram files for years. I refuse to ever have any version of Real Player on my system.

iTunes is typical Apple. Looks cute, is a huge hog, is nearly impossible to customize, cannot be backed up, does not work well with other programs, etc. If I did not like my iPod, I would never even look at an iTunes website. Ugh. If you really want to see how bad this is, go to Apple's own support forum and look at the "advice" that you are given as options for basic things like "back up my library" "transfer my library to a new external hard drive." You have a better chance of converting Iran than getting iTunes to play nice.

I haven't used IE for years either. Now with an IE tab view extension in FF, I never have to for anything, even MS sites.

Outlook is the one program that I can't live without. It works fine for me. I need it because I have so much productivity software that works with it - a great search engine (X1), GTD addin, Calendar print add in, addin for my phone PBx, etc. You need to customize and massage it - keeping your main PST file small (archiving) and compacting after deleting big emails, but it can run pretty smooth. There is also a tool (scanpst.exe) that helps to keep it on track.

The latest version of Acrobat (not Reader) is very good and quick. Still takes up a lot of disk space (2GB), but in the days of cheap HDs, who cares?

Real Player is so bad that I have not even bothered to listen to .ram files for years. I refuse to ever have any version of Real Player on my system.

iTunes is typical Apple. Looks cute, is a huge hog, is nearly impossible to customize, cannot be backed up, does not work well with other programs, etc. If I did not like my iPod, I would never even look at an iTunes website. Ugh. If you really want to see how bad this is, go to Apple's own support forum and look at the "advice" that you are given as options for basic things like "back up my library" "transfer my library to a new external hard drive." You have a better chance of converting Iran than getting iTunes to play nice.

I haven't used IE for years either. Now with an IE tab view extension in FF, I never have to for anything, even MS sites.

Outlook is the one program that I can't live without. It works fine for me. I need it because I have so much productivity software that works with it - a great search engine (X1), GTD addin, Calendar print add in, addin for my phone PBx, etc. You need to customize and massage it - keeping your main PST file small (archiving) and compacting after deleting big emails, but it can run pretty smooth. There is also a tool (scanpst.exe) that helps to keep it on track.
Be nice about Apple Fred or I will keep emailing you with my iPhone!:lol::lol::lol: Steve thought it was funny.;)

Last edited:

Be nice about Apple Fred or I will keep emailing you with my iPhone!:lol::lol::lol: Steve thought it was funny.;)

No worries! I'll just take comfort in the nice steak dinner and bluetooth headset that I can buy with the difference in price between an iPhone and my Blackberry! :p

This is interesting. With my old XP machine, FF was more stable than IE7. With this new Vista machine, the exact opposite is true. I have zero problems with IE now. In fact, dare I say it, I've become a fan of IE!

I installed Opera for the first time recently on my new Vista PC, and have found it to work very well - it seems to use perhaps 25% less memory than Firefox. I should have installed it on my previous PC, which was always freezing due to lack of memory.

This is interesting. With my old XP machine, FF was more stable than IE7. With this new Vista machine, the exact opposite is true. I have zero problems with IE now. In fact, dare I say it, I've become a fan of IE!
I would not put it past them -- MS has done this kind of thing before -- purposefully making competing software perform bad on their operating system. I know it sounds conspiracy-like, but . . . :p

I would not put it past them -- MS has done this kind of thing before -- purposefully making competing software perform bad on their operating system. I know it sounds conspiracy-like, but . . . :p

Done it before? That's their business model and the reason for the huge fines in Europe! I got tired of Micro$oft dictating what worked on my computer and what didn't, plus charging me handsomely for the privilege. That's why I switched to Linux and haven't looked back.

Here's just one example. On Linux, no one can install or update software without my explicit permission, period. Micro$oft was caught last year secretly updating its Windows Desktop Search and Windows Update software on WinXP and Vista, which caused seemingly random demands for the user's computer to be rebooted. Those mandatory reboots were the only clue that the system had been tampered with. It took a while for the pros to to sort it out, but in the end MS's excuse had to do with obscure system administration settings that almost no users and few experts even knew existed. As a result, MS was "secretly" updating users' computers with software they didn't want and then requiring the user to reboot even in the middle of their work. No thanks. (don't miss the links above, which in turn link to further background)

To be clear, until shortly before Vista's release I was a Micro$oft fan, but I'd finally had enough. Changing over to Linux was significantly less painful for me than "updating" to Vista was for almost everyone that I know who did so. Ubuntu isn't perfect, but in my opinion is way better than Vista. Plus, it's free! :D

Actually, I wasn't accusing MS of anything. I was simply declaring my support for IE7. I won't bother fussing with anything else anymore.

Changing over to Linux was significantly less painful for me than "updating" to Vista was for almost everyone that I know who did so. Ubuntu isn't perfect, but in my opinion is way better than Vista. Plus, it's free! :D
I've found the exact oppisite to be true. I install Linux on one of my machines and that turned out to be a headache I gave up on. I eventually reinstalled XP and now it runs fine as a secondary machine.

Changing over to Linux was significantly less painful for me than "updating" to Vista was for almost everyone that I know who did so. Ubuntu isn't perfect, but in my opinion is way better than Vista. Plus, it's free! :D
I've found the exact oppisite to be true. I install Linux on one of my machines and that turned out to be a headache I gave up on. I eventually reinstalled XP and now it runs fine as a secondary machine.

I guess it depends on your hardware and the distribution of Linux that you choose to try. Reinstalling XP is way different than trying to get Vista to work with your existing hardware and software, though.

To be clear, until shortly before Vista's release I was a Micro fan, but I'd finally had enough. Changing over to Linux was significantly less painful for me than "updating" to Vista was for almost everyone that I know who did so. Ubuntu isn't perfect, but in my opinion is way better than Vista. Plus, it's free! :D

I'm sympathetic to the Ubuntu thing. And I have looked at it a bit. But what do you do with programs that are written to work in Windows? Specifically, we have a church database and financial software that is designed for Windows. I don't think it would work in something like Ubuntu...

I'm sympathetic to the Ubuntu thing. And I have looked at it a bit. But what do you do with programs that are written to work in Windows? Specifically, we have a church database and financial software that is designed for Windows. I don't think it would work in something like Ubuntu...

I have over $1,000 worth of references in Logos Bible Software, which only runs in Windows. I also do my finances in Quicken, for which I haven't found an adequate Linux replacement. I get around this by running a WinXP virtual machine under Linux using VMware's VMWorkstation. There are other virtual machine solutions available as well, some free. This approach has worked very well for me. Since I can limit what access the VM has to the host computer and the outside world, I can easily compensate for Windows' security shortfalls.

I have over $1,000 worth of references in Logos Bible Software, which only runs in Windows. I also do my finances in Quicken, for which I haven't found an adequate Linux replacement. I get around this by running a WinXP virtual machine under Linux using VMware's VMWorkstation. There are other virtual machine solutions available as well, some free. This approach has worked very well for me. Since I can limit what access the VM has to the host computer and the outside world, I can easily compensate for Windows' security shortfalls.

Would you recommend using Virtual Server (which is supposedly now free) to do this? I understand that it is dependent on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back