I am no longer Baptist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The ESV and NASB don't agree with what you are claiming here. The NASB reads: "Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you - not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience - through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" Baptism is an appeal FOR a good conscience, from God. This verse is not man-centered, but God-centered. Baptism shows our hope for the promise of forgiveness of sins. Justification. This forgiveness of sins clears our conscience as having been set free by the blood of Christ, and is accomplished "through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" not because we have been Baptized. This shows nothing but applying a sign of the covenant to us with the faith and hope that God will work in us to grant us faith and repentance, give us a new heart, and cause us to persevere till the end - proving our calling and election and that we are true members of the New Covenant, both visibly/externally and spiritually (and not covenant breakers or apostates who may apply the signs of the covenant and partake in its visible/external blessings, but never have the regeneration of the Holy Spirit that comes to God's elect alone). The fact that infants cannot make a request for a clear conscience means nothing, as it is clear in the passage that the act of Baptism makes the appeal to God."

Gabe,

This is a really good point. I've considered the sacraments sermons composed of pure water, bread, and wine. They minister the gospel to the recipient. This text however appears to be dealing with the reception of the gospel itself in the sacrament of baptism where we truly participate in the drama and use the promise embedded sacraments as a prayer. :up:

I might want to change my wording a bit on that part. I would rather say:

"proving our calling and election and that we are true members of the Covenant of Grace, as administered in the New Covenant"

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
I might want to change my wording a bit on that part. I would rather say:

"proving our calling and election and that we are true members of the Covenant of Grace, as administered in the New Covenant"

Right.

Right??!
umm.gif

[Edited on 15-1-2005 by WrittenFromUtopia]

Just saw this thread today...been quite busy...

And with others, I say "God bless you as you further understand the covenant".

Yes, congrats are in order. Since I've become more covenantal, I've understood my role as husband better...there is so much more to covenant theology than sprinkling our babies. Seems that's usually the hardest to get over as you're mining through it, but the treasure is well worth it.

(I'm not saying Baptists don't understand their roles as husbands, rather, it's been my embrace of covenant theology that allowed me to overthrow certain obstacles in my walk)

Nathan is that you in your Avatar? If it is has anyone told you, that you look like Joel Osteen.:bigsmile:

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Just thought I would share about my recent change. I have been so overwhelmed with Scriptural evidence (not in the writings of Reformers) that Covenant Theology is the only way to read the Bible accurately and understand God's gracious covenant with His people. Furthermore, I now see that the Baptist presupposition to Scripture simply falls apart when you start applying it to Scripture as a whole. Even Reformed Baptist arguments are cornered when you find that the entire basis for believing the NC is "believers only" is based on Jeremiah 31, a prophecy that, from what I can tell, is entirely eschatological in reference to the restoration of Israel at the end of time (cf. Romans 11). Not to mention the fact that we are to interpret Scripture as a whole, with clearer passages to interpret less-clear ones (i.e. prophecy), and the clear teaching of Scripture as a whole is that the kingdom of God, the New Covenant in His blood, has both regenerate and unregenerate/apostates within it. All of the parables of the kingdom point to this, and Judas is the best example of it that is so blunt we cannot ignore that our Lord gave Him the cup of the NC, despite knowing his apostasy to come!

Thoughts?:candle:

Thank the Lord. As I become more knowledgable in the Reformed faith everyday. The Bible, and the History of the Christian Church make more sense now to me.

I hope next Sunday we have an infant baptism.

EDITED FOR CLARITY BY ADMIN

[Edited on 1-17-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Gabriel,
I haven't read the whole forum through (only the first few posts), but I must say-praise the Lord. I recently completed this same "journey"-it all began with the Scriptures for me as well. Began to study and voila-here I am.

Webmaster,
Congratulations...when did you become oficially Dr. McMahon?

*As a side note, yes I did read sources from both "camps"-I even found myself "trying to remain a baptist" no matter what- baptist is all I have ever known; my whole family (mine and my wife's) is baptist, but the Lord continued to work in spite of my wants, and I am convinced of Scriptural paedobaptism. (Yes, I embrace the Presbyterian. view of sacrements and ecclesiology-began to embrace those as my study progressed.)

[Edited on 1-18-2005 by nicnap]

[Edited on 1-18-2005 by nicnap]

Thanks Chris,
You are a pretty handy guy, for us lazy people who do not wish to do the work of searching...:D :handshake: :D .

Ok, you guys. You are disobeying Acts 2:38:

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be BAPTIST every one of you...
CBPV (Canadian Baptist Paraphrased Version)
:D

Actually, major changes in theological perspective are both frightening and exciting times. They drive us to the Word and make us more dependant on Christ as our source for truth. I currently lean to the New Covenant Theology view of the covenants, however in recent days I have been giving the tenets of CT a serious look for the first time. When you think you grasp a system and it makes sense scripturally, it brings comfort yet sometimes stagnation, however when you begin to doubt that system and see the merits of something you don't quite understand, it brings apprehension and fear. May the Spirit of God lead us into all truth!
Soli Deo Gloria,
Darrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back