I am walking on the brink of eternity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
A Periodic Interview with the King of Terrors

by James Meikle, 1730-1799

1786—1799

January 3, 1786. A few days ago, a poor man (rich in this world—but poor for eternity) was carried to his long home—to the house appointed for all living. After the confused merriment of a fair, and the company of jolly companions in an ale-house—he is summoned to the great tribunal. On his way home he fell into the waters of a small river—which wafted him to the ocean of eternity! And in a moment he lost all that world, for which he had toiled so much, for so many years. O that from his eternal folly—may I learn spiritual wisdom!

February 7, 1786. My body is ripening fast for the grave—but my soul is but slowly ripening for eternity! How terrible to misspend time, to sport with death, and to trifle with eternal things! O how sad is it, that the longer I live, I should grow more unwilling, and less ready to die!

March 22, 1786. O how short is the race, and how pleasant the death of some! In the bloom of youth, and but a few months as a pastor, while the hopes of friends and flock are opening with every pleasant prospect—behold, behold, a whole heaven of glory opens and takes him in! And so sure is his hope, and so bright his views—that he forbids his friends to pray for his recovery! Last time we were together, was at the Lord's table. And when we first meet again—it shall be at the marriage supper of the Lamb!

April 4, 1786. Though I have now lived so long that I cannot expect to live much longer; yet, alas! how backward am I to believe my approaching end! O to have my love to the world slain, my carking cares and concern about created things diminished, my views of heavenly glory brightened, and my affections set on high!

May 2, 1786. If anything could make a man immortal, would not every endeavor be used to obtain it, and crowns and kingdoms be bartered for it? A saving interest in Christ, then, is both immortality and heaven and glory. Though death comes to the sinner in every ghastly shape, in every terrible appearance; yet to the Christian it performs every kind office, scatters all his anxieties, finishes his cares, delivers him from all troubles, sets him above temptation and sin, and translates him to everlasting bliss!

August 1, 1786. Death puts all men on the same level. For distinctions drop in death, and rank and wealth enter not into the eternal and unchanging world.

As a mortal man, I am walking on the brink of eternity! But as a member of Christ, as an heir of God, I am in eternity already, being raised up from a state of spiritual death, and made to sit together with Christ in heavenly places; why, then, should I in the least be afraid of natural death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back