I Can Only Buy One. Whitaker or Ussher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Should I get William Whitaker's "Disputations on Holy Scripture" or "A Body of Divinity: Being the Sum and Substance of the Christian Religion" by James Ussher?

Why or Why Not?

Ussher, because of his influence on the Irish Articles and thereby the Westminster Standards.

:ditto: Unless you are really into defending the Bible against Roman Catholics and can work with Greek, Hebrew, and Latin then go for Whitaker.

If evangelizing Roman Catholics is something you see yourself doing, then Whitaker's work is highly valuable. If you expect you'll be spending more time on the fine points of systematic theology, Ussher's little work is one of many that you should obtain.

If neither of those cases describe you, then other considerations may also come into play. If you already have 5 systematic theologies, and you have nothing good on Sola Scriptura, then Whitaker may be a good pick (the King/Webster set would too, though it is probably more expensive).

Besides the RC apologetics, Whitaker's work is also valuable in evangelizing Humanists if a marketplace mission is your fare. His arguments for the divine inspiration and inerrency of Scripture are outstanding.

Theognome

Should I get William Whitaker's "Disputations on Holy Scripture" or "A Body of Divinity: Being the Sum and Substance of the Christian Religion" by James Ussher?

Why or Why Not?

If you'd like, i can send you Whitaker's work...just pm me your mailing address and i'll get it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back