I Don't do Boycotts Anymore -- 2. Neither do I Get q in Endless Eschatologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings, fellow Sinners and Saints of God,

I first made this post way back when the anime discussion was going on. I decided to post what I wrote even though it's way after the fact. There are two things following where I might be a man alone.

Thankfully, I have no idea what anime is. I am not about to spend any time dealing with things that just plain don't matter in the eternal scheme of things.

List of several things I no longer involve myself in.

1. I Don't Do Boycotts:

A Christian family member came down a little hard on me about the dog food I bought at Target, saying, "I would not enter any Target store for any reason."

I answered, "That's an interesting position. Want to hear my take?"

I take the opposite position. I think the trans clothing and CEO's commitment to the cause will likely bring additional people to the store who may have boycotted it for not having such things. Anyway, in most places, Christians wouldn't be seen in; Jesus would make a beeline for them. Got it? It's in the Bible.

2. I Don't Do Endless Genealogies -- Oops, I mean Eschatologies.

I no longer involve myself in the endless discussions of eschatology. The weirdest thing about it to me is that many participants in the debate are there mainly to express their own opinions and wisdom. Come on, come on, everyone. We don't know how it's going to all workout. And you don't know either.
~~~~~~~~~~

Now for a little bit on the Apostle's insufficiency for the ministry.

2 Corinthians 3:4–6 -- Sufficient for Ministry. I don't recall just now who the author of what follows was.

Vance Havner, beloved preacher, pastor, and evangelist during my early years of ministry, recalls the beginning of his itinerant ministry:

Here I was, about to begin a full-time traveling ministry which meant sleeping in a different bed every week, changing food and climate, always getting adjusted and never getting adjusted—and utterly exhausted before I started! Any adviser would have called it sheerest folly. I felt more like quitting instead of undertaking a most demanding work which many strong men have tried and been unable to continue. If ever there was a chance to prove that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness and that when we are weak, we are strong, this was it. The Lord had the strength and I had the weakness so we teamed up! It is an unbeatable combination.

And it was, as all who heard his inimitable, soul-searching messages will attest. In relation to what the Apostle Paul says about sufficiency for ministry in the brief text before us, Vance Havner’s words serve as a cheerful invitation to apply the apostle’s wisdom to our lives and ministries.

Frankly, Paul was confident about power and effectiveness in his ministry because, as he had just said, the Corinthians were “a letter from Christ” written by “the Spirit of the living God” (v. 3). With such living, breathing letters he had every reason to be confident, and so Paul summarizes, “Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God” (v. 4). Because his confidence is “through Christ” and not through any power of his own, and because his confidence is “toward God,” it focuses on nothing earthly as its source or end. Paul was supremely God-confident. And Paul confidently fought for the gospel and advised his gospel partners to be “not frightened in anything by your opponents … a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation” (Philippians 1:28).

Paul’S PERSONAL INSUFFICIENCY (v. 5a)

Confidence, however, is one thing; claims of self-sufficiency are quite another. So Paul was quick to renounce any measure of self-sufficiency, saying, “Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us” (v. 5a). Paul was quite sincere. As Calvin emphasized, “this disclaiming of all merit is not … pretended modesty, but he says what he really feels from the heart.” Thus with a fine irony Paul asserts that his confidence was rooted in his personal inadequacy—there was no self-generated capacity in him adequate to do ministry.

By emphasizing his insufficiency, Paul is consciously alluding to Moses’ insistence of his inadequacy when God called him to lead Israel. His demurral and God’s response were as follows:

But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.”

Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?

Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”

But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.”

Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses, and he said, “Is there not Aaron your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet

I could go either way with the boycotts. As I understand, they are part of the mission field. I also don't want to contribute needlessly to their financing(in some cases), very ungodly actions.

Edit: Also, virtue signaling is not the gospel. My not buying products at Starbucks may lead to a conversation where I can share the gospel. Or it may just be seen as virtue signaling, and people may deliberately avoid conversation with me.

Last edited:
I could go either way with the boycotts. As I understand, they are part of the mission field. I also don't want to contribute needlessly to their financing(in some cases), very ungodly actions.

Thanks for the reply.

My thinking, try as I might, I can't find an example or warrant for believers to punish certain sinners for their sins.
Example: Speeding is a violation of the traffic laws. But does anyone other than the police have a right (duty) to "punish" the offender?

Of course, there will be exceptions. I don't leave the house without my 12-shot Sig P365c 9mm daily carry, but I have no misgivings about how dangerous it is that I could be in the right and still go to jail.

Don't get me wrong. I'm ecstatic that Budweiser crashed so hard. (Besides, I don't like Bud :)

Example: Speeding is a violation of the traffic laws. But does anyone other than the police have a right (duty) to "punish" the offender?
Nope.
Of course, there will be exceptions. I don't leave the house without my 12-shot Sig P365c 9mm daily carry, but I have no misgivings about how dangerous it is that I could be in the right and still go to jail.
Exactly.
Don't get me wrong. I'm ecstatic that Budweiser crashed so hard. (Besides, I don't like Bud :)
Good man.

Hello Ed,

You said you would no more participate in "endless eschatologies". Well and good. As for myself, "I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27).

Hello Ed,

You said you would no more participate in "endless eschatologies". Well and good. As for myself, "I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27).
Hi Steve,

How are things going in Cyprus?

Now, Steve, it's not too often I get to address a faithful Christian senior to me, but here goes. I'll try to watch my steps.

What in the world does this mean? "As for myself, "I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27)."

How can you say that? How can you say of any single eschatological scheme when the Church has not yet confessed the one true interpretation?

Aren't you a bit old to hold a view--a particular view which you accept as (capital 'T') the Truth that the Church has not confessed having "not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God."

The Church has counted big time in settling doctrinal (dogma) issues.

Example: Was the group of professing Jewish Christians that came to be called the Judiasers guilty of heresy before Acts 15? I say no! Only after the Church counsel a man be brought up on charges and excommunicated if there is no repentance.

How could you miss this? How could you consider your unconfessed view of a future event as huge as the second coming of Jesus? And then, accuse me of ignoring (or better, disobeying, Gk) your claim to have taught the whole counsel of God.

I'm not at all upset, Steve. Just a bit surprised. You seem not to have grasped that you are claiming to know the Truth about something the Church has yet to confess.

The Church may seem to be taking too long to resolve this issue. But I would sooner wait a hundred years for the Church to speak authoritatively than go it alone with what historically was called a private interpretation. (Not at all a good thing.)

And I say all this knowing your view may be the one Truth.

Your friend, Ed

Last edited:
I say whenever possible we ought to take a stand for the Lord and His glory. To that end and for my part I won’t be shopping at Target to the glory of God. Let each man be fully persuaded in his own mind, I suppose!

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your kind words, as usual!

Eschatology was never in the crosshairs of a church council or a confession, save for the basic truth that Christ would come again in Judgment and to call His elect to Himself, which was wise, as the details of the end were not clear, especially in earlier times.

So eschatology is not a matter for charges or excommunication, save perhaps in a local church or a denomination which has made it part of their Statement of Faith, and someone transgresses that.

As with Baptism where "the Church" has agreed to disagree agreeably (at least here on the PB sector of it), so also with Eschatology.

You asked, "Aren't you a bit old to hold a view--a particular view which you accept as (capital 'T') the Truth that the Church has not confessed"? Well, I hold to paedobaptism which "the Church" entire has not confessed; and likewise with the Amil "modified Idealist" view – it is the truth (as part of "the whole counsel of God") regarding the Eschaton. If I were not 100% certain of the truth of it I would admit that, as in the case of other doctrines I am not clear on, such as head coverings.

You also said, "I'm not at all upset, Steve. Just a bit surprised. You seem not to have grasped that you are claiming to know the Truth about something the Church has yet to confess.

"The Church may seem to be taking too long to resolve this issue. But I would sooner wait a hundred years for the Church to speak authoritatively than go it alone with what historically was called a private interpretation. (Not at all a good thing.)"

Ed, it is highly doubtful "the Church" entire will ever confess the Amil view (or paedobaptism) before the Lord appears to end the final holocaust consuming His people at the hands of Antichrist and his hordes. Perhaps when, in the intense tribulation where a global order is given (as per Haman's decree in Persia which was thwarted by Esther and Mordecai), this final order given by Antichrist and begun to be executed, perhaps then it will dawn upon all that the Amil take was the truth of the matter.

"A private interpretation", my holding the modified idealist view? Hardly! The best contemporary exegetes promote and defend it, and if we watch and see we may find a great multitude cleaving to the fine-tuned synchronicity of the various parts of Scripture in harmonious accord on the matter.

Your brother in the eternal kingdom, Ed!

Per boycotts:

I understood Boycotting Target and all, but usually the alternative was going to Wal Mart, and Wal Mart is a dangerous place in my area. Now that Wal Mart does curbside and drop off, that isn't as big a problem.

Per eschatology:

Eschatological systems are just that: systems. They try to integrate the biblical data. And systems rise and fall in popularity throughout history. I lean pessimistic amil (emphasis on pessimism) and I hold to the basic amil framework, yet I realize that my system, as are all systems, is rough around the edges.

Greetings, fellow Sinners and Saints of God,

I first made this post way back when the anime discussion was going on. I decided to post what I wrote even though it's way after the fact. There are two things following where I might be a man alone.

Thankfully, I have no idea what anime is. I am not about to spend any time dealing with things that just plain don't matter in the eternal scheme of things.

List of several things I no longer involve myself in.

1. I Don't Do Boycotts:

A Christian family member came down a little hard on me about the dog food I bought at Target, saying, "I would not enter any Target store for any reason."

I answered, "That's an interesting position. Want to hear my take?"

I take the opposite position. I think the trans clothing and CEO's commitment to the cause will likely bring additional people to the store who may have boycotted it for not having such things. Anyway, in most places, Christians wouldn't be seen in; Jesus would make a beeline for them. Got it? It's in the Bible.
As one who has boycotted Target for some time, I do appreciate this logic. I wanted to ask, genuinely-- do you make an intentional effort to look for evangelistic opportunities in places like Target, where you expect there to be a larger proportion of unbelievers?

As one who has boycotted Target for some time, I do appreciate this logic. I wanted to ask, genuinely-- do you make an intentional effort to look for evangelistic opportunities in places like Target, where you expect there to be a larger proportion of unbelievers?
I don't really expect to find more believers at Walmart vs Target. I know historically regular Walmart shoppers have been more likely to be Republicans, but I don't know about there being more regenerates at Walmart. I certainly don't observe a lot of holy behavior at my local Walmart. And I saw pride merchandise at both stores last pride month, even in my solidly red county.

I don't really expect to find more believers at Walmart vs Target. I know historically regular Walmart shoppers have been more likely to be Republicans, but I don't know about there being more regenerates at Walmart. I certainly don't observe a lot of holy behavior at my local Walmart. And I saw pride merchandise at both stores last pride month, even in my solidly red county.
Well yes, I get what you're saying, but his reasoning for not boycotting a company like Target was that it would be a place in need of Christian witness.

And to be clear, Ed, I do not mean the question in an accusatory way, I was just genuinely curious.

I sure do! And I'm having the time of my life.

I drive my wife a bit crazy when we are in public. I talk to almost everyone I meet. When I go shopping (or anywhere else), the groceries kinda of get into the cart on their own. I'm busy fishing. You asked if I "make an intentional effort to look for evangelistic opportunities?" It is always on my mind. I live in East Stroudsburg, PA, about 2 miles from the local Wawa (convenience store), directly across from East Stroudsburg University (ESU), and a big hangout for students. For months and months, I got up early each Lord's Day at 1:00 AM, then arrived at the Wawa by about 2:00 AM.

Why 2:00 AM? Easy. That's when the bars close. And maybe 30 kids, most intoxicated in one stage or another, soon pile into the store.

Then I pull up on my 2022 Hayabusa, walk into the store, and beeline it to the fleshy center of mass, pray... Then, I drop a line here and there and hope they are biting tonight. I alternate between three or four teeshirts, each with a Scripture verse in Koine Greek or a Catechism question, then the Five Solas. And they often ask me what they say – On a jet-black tee with white lettering. There are some regulars, but most students are new to me.

One thing I always remember to pray for. It goes something like this. "My dear Father, I request yet again that I never find out in this life if anyone was helped.

busa.png

I sure do! And I'm having the time of my life.

I drive my wife a bit crazy when we are in public. I talk to almost everyone I meet. When I go shopping (or anywhere else), the groceries kinda of get into the cart on their own. I'm busy fishing. You asked if I "make an intentional effort to look for evangelistic opportunities?" It is always on my mind. I live in East Stroudsburg, PA, about 2 miles from the local Wawa (convenience store), directly across from East Stroudsburg University (ESU), and a big hangout for students. For months and months, I got up early each Lord's Day at 1:00 AM, then arrived at the Wawa by about 2:00 AM.

Why 2:00 AM? Easy. That's when the bars close. And maybe 30 kids, most intoxicated in one stage or another, soon pile into the store.

Then I pull up on my 2022 Hayabusa, walk into the store, and beeline it to the fleshy center of mass, pray... Then, I drop a line here and there and hope they are biting tonight. I alternate between three or four teeshirts, each with a Scripture verse in Koine Greek or a Catechism question, then the Five Solas. And they often ask me what they say – On a jet-black tee with white lettering. There are some regulars, but most students are new to me.

One thing I always remember to pray for. It goes something like this. "My dear Father, I request yet again that I never find out in this life if anyone was helped.

View attachment 10522

This is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard.

This is the definition of adventure.

My thinking, try as I might, I can't find an example or warrant for believers to punish certain sinners for their sins.

Thinking of avoiding a certain store as a punishment you'd need Biblical authorization for is a counterintuitive way to look at it. At least there's no necessity to frame things that way.
I think we all understand that buying campaign merchandise is one way that political campaigns finance their activities. Selling necessary items is one way that corporations captured by ideological cartels recover the costs of funding cartel activity. And yet a refusal to buy "Gavin for the Win in 2024" merchandise wouldn't be seen as punishing, but as not supporting, a (hypothetical) Newsom presidential campaign.

At least the way I do boycotting, it isn't just about "punishing" the bad businesses. It's also about rewarding the good businesses. Unfortunately, the Second Vote web site is shutting down shortly, but it provides great rating information about hundreds of businesses in a variety of categories. Public Square does something similar. So when one product goes bad, I look for similar products that are actually doing good in the world.

If you know of a Christian businessman in your area and give him your business, are you de facto punishing everyone else for not being Christian?

I suppose I’m more of a passive boycot-er, it’s not the end of the world if I go to Target, but when it’s the same distance away as Walmart, I’ll go to Walmart and enjoy the lower prices. If it’s between a bud and coors light, I’ll take a nice glass of scotch.

YHWY.png I got to the Wawa at the usual time this morning, and it was packed. I wasn't there more than a minute or two when one guy fist-but me and remembered me from last year. While speaking, two more guys stopped by, shook my hand, and greeted me, having also recognized me. Then, they started talking about religion.

I was asked if I targeted groups for evangelism. Here's something I thought I should add.

I gravitate toward at least three classes of fellow Invisibles:
  1. Old Men and Ladies – Aged and infirm, especially if using a walker, etc. "Hi," I might say, then looking at the cart, add, "Man, I gotta get me one of these." Then, the geriatric health talk begins and usually ends with the only hope we have – Jesus.
  2. Black People – All sizes and ages, but particularly couples and families.
  3. Special Needs People – The kind stores sometimes hire to prove their compassion. I have developed several long-term relationships with these often marginalized people.
I have one friend, Franklyn, whom I have known for over 45 years. I bring him to church with my wife, Mary, every week. Frank has been institutionalized for the past 25± years after threatening his parents. He is what I call a "cross-the-room schizophrenic." In other words, - You can tell Frank ain't right from across a room. ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 10526I got to the Wawa at the usual time this morning, and it was packed. I wasn't there more than a minute or two when one guy fist-but me and remembered me from last year. While speaking, two more guys stopped by, shook my hand, and greeted me, having also recognized me. Then, they started talking about religion.

I was asked if I targeted groups for evangelism. Here's something I thought I should add.

I gravitate toward at least three classes of fellow Invisibles:
  1. Old Men and Ladies – Aged and infirm, especially if using a walker, etc. "Hi," I might say, then looking at the cart, add, "Man, I gotta get me one of these."
  2. Black People – All sizes and ages, but particular couples and families.
  3. Special Needs People – The kind stores sometimes hire to prove their compassion. I have developed several long-term relationships with these often marginalized people.
I have one friend, Franklyn, whom I have known for over 45 years. I bring him to church with my wife, Mary, every week. Frank has been institutionalized for the past 25± years after threatening his parents. He is what I call a "cross-the-room schizophrenic." In other words, - You can tell Frank ain't right from across a room. ;)
I need a double portion of this Spirit, Brother. Please pray for me!

This is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard.

This is the definition of adventure.

It is my most incredible adventure. Just like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1988) Well, not exactly.
All you have to do is lose the fear of man. A little something that took me 45 years to get.
The neatest thing is that, except for this post, it's just between the Lord and me. I wish I had a like-minded brother to go with me because that is typically the Biblical pattern. Two are better than one, [~~] and a three-stranded cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor.​
For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow:​
But woe to him that is alone when he falleth, for he hath not another to help him up.​
Again, if two lie together, then they have heat, but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevails against him, two shall withstand him, and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.​

Like the photo of you in post 21, Ed.
You see, a Christian can still have a heart for the lost, even if that someone has a wrong view of the future.
An overzealous view of what our Redemer, the Savior of the World, may yet do during this period. Nobody's perfect. Like the proverbial stopped clock, I'm pretty happy when I get things right twice a day. But I rarely do that well.

BTW - The shot of you at the pulpit looks very natural, like you belong there.

Ed

1010.jpg

Like the photo of you in post 21, Ed

I hesitated to post it because it is obvious I have been sick. In this picture, my weight had increased from 140 to 151. My average weight over the past 30 years has been over 210 lbs. It looked like I was dying, and that was exciting. As I seemed to be getting better, I had to deal with accepting that I might have to stay here a while longer. Yuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back