I finally surrendered to Logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I just got the Logos software. I wanted access to things like the Lexham Bible dictionary. Any suggestions on using Logos? Any free stuff?

Actually, if you understand what Logos truly does, its a gem. It gives you the ability to add docx files as "Personal Books." Scan your book, turn it into a docx file, upload it. Do it for all your books. Then, you sit at your computer and say, "search for John 3:16", or any search, and in less than a second, all the hits come back. You can search your entire library in less than a second.

Done right, its like having Star Trek's computer at your fingertips.

Logos is free, empty. Just download the free version, create a free account, add your docx books, and its awesome.

I have my whole library in my computer in Logos, and backed up. All my reformed and puritan works except a few volumes left.

Amazing tool.

However, there's not a chance Im paying Logos for all those electronic versions. I just created them all myself. Takes some time, about 4 months. But totally worth it.

Actually, if you understand what Logos truly does, its a gem. It gives you the ability to add docx files as "Personal Books." Scan your book, turn it into a docx file, upload it. Do it for all your books. Then, you sit at your computer and say, "search for John 3:16", or any search, and in less than a second, all the hits come back. You can search your entire library in less than a second.

Done right, its like having Star Trek's computer at your fingertips.

Logos is free, empty. Just download the free version, create a free account, add your docx books, and its awesome.

I have my whole library in my computer in Logos, and backed up. All my reformed and puritan works except a few volumes left.

Amazing tool.

However, there's not a chance Im paying Logos for all those electronic versions. I just created them all myself. Takes some time, about 4 months. But totally worth it.

What would you recommend as far as a book scanner?

Jacob,
I have the Reformed Portfolio. I have had Logos for about 7 years or so; initially, I had it on an older Imac. It wouldn't run efficiently on a standard HD. Load time was like 5 minutes. It was sluggish maneuvering through the pages and search. I upgraded to an SDD and that solved the problem. I called Logos tech support to discuss the issue with them as they do not tell u that the 'engine' really requires a hefty machine. They acknowledged that the program is a power hog. They don't really tell u this prior to purchasing. They do give a money back guarantee-I believe it is 30 days.

Since upgrading my machine, it runs well; the program itself is worth it's weight. Search function (as Matt has described) is irreplaceable! Thats really the method to the madness behind Logos. They do the work indexing all the data and make it available. I know u have a large electronic collection-some of the material you can transition to docx files-others that are PDF, will be more difficult. I use this program for that:

https://www.amazon.com/PDF-Converte...2927350&sr=8-11&keywords=nuance+pdf+converter

I do the same thing McMahon does. Every single digital book I own is in Logos. Even papers or sermons I’ve written or downloaded. One of the best piece of software ever.

I also have the CZUR scanner. I need to scan my print books in, especially since I have books that are out of print now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back