I found this irresistible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks like an excellent commentary, thanks for sharing it....perhaps I'll order a copy as well!

It is a very good commentary. I highly recommend it. It is also available online here: COMMENTARY ON ROMANS - HALDANE

My books are ruined for others after I've read them! LOL I must hold them, mark them, read them over and over and mark them some more while trying my best to squeeze all the wonder out of them!

I guess reasonable people would go with the online version. Much cheaper. That reveals that I'm a book spendthrift and unreasonable both!

However, until it arrives, thanks so much for that link as I can get a head start!

I always find myself asking this question as it pertains to Romans commentary`s...What is the authors position on Romans 7. If pre christian I find myself less than desirous of the work. So what is Haldanes position? I am curious because Martyn Lloyd Jones endorses it and he has the unorthodox position as well.

-----Added 6/9/2009 at 08:08:26 EST-----

Ver. 15. — For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not, but what I hate, that do I.

For. — This verse explains and confirms the preceding. That which I do, I allow not. — Literally, I know not. The English word know, as well as the word in the original, is often used as implying recognition or acknowledgment. We are said not to know a person whom we do not choose to recognize. Paul committed sin, but he did not recognize or approve it. He disclaimed all friendly acquaintance with it. For what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. — Every man, regenerate or unregenerate, must be sensible of the truth of this, so far as it imports that he does what he knows to be wrong. As there is no regenerate man in whom this is not verified, it cannot be confined to the unregenerate. But as it is of the regenerate the Apostle is here speaking, — that is, as he is speaking of himself at the time of writing, — it is necessary to apply it here peculiarly to the regenerate. Besides, as it is said that he did what he hated, it must be here applied exclusively to the regenerate. Though an unregenerate man disapproves of evil, he cannot be said to hate sin. This is characteristic of the regenerate, and of such only: ‘Ye that love the Lord, hate evil,’ Psalm 97:10. It is characteristic of the Redeemer Himself: ‘Thou hast loved righteousness an hated iniquity,’ Hebrews 1:9. The following words are decisive on the subject: — ’The fear of the Lord is to hate evil,’ Proverbs 8:13. Some suppose that what the Apostle says in this verse is to the same purpose with the noted heathen confession, ‘Video meliora proboque, deteriora sequor. ’ — ’ I see what is better and approve of it; I follow what is worse.’ But these propositions are not at all identical. The heathen confesses that he practices what he knows to be wrong, but his inconsistency arises from the love of the evil. Paul confesses that he does what is wrong, but declares that instead of loving the evil, he regards it with hatred and abhorrence.

Problem solved for me! :sing::)
Upon reviewing, this does look awesome. It is on the wishlist

I love Max McLean's emphasis in reading on that from Augustine. He declares "I have the desire to do the right thing, but not the ability to carry it out". Wish I could stick in his oratory here as it is just priceless! I keep listening to it and thinking, 'yep, thats me'.
He also uses this stong and elongated emphasis when reading from the Romans CD. Seems words take on new significance as he reads them so beautifully!

Tom Schreiner did our Spurgeon Conference on Romans a few years back and I remember much difference of opinion on who that Romans 7 man is. I'm no theologian so that makes it quite easy for me to read and agree with what is said without all the frustration in deciphering each word. I know; I need to keep reading. Thats the plan!

:gpl::gpl::detective::detective::gpl:wow i love it here!!!

so how do you thank someone when theyr post was helpful???

:gpl: :detective:

lol ok...

i didnt mean to put up all those faces lol. i kept clickin them cuz i didnt think it was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back