I got a Kindle Touch (and questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
For Christmas, I got a Kindle Touch. Yeah, me! I've already read half of one volume of Harnack's History of Dogma.

I have a few questions:

I've heard I can lend/borrow from friends' Kindle libraries. What's that about?

How do I get PDF's onto my Kindle, and can I highlight/mark them?

I just got my Touch, too. As John said, go to "Manage My Kindle" and there are lots of good instructions there. I uploaded a couple of .pdf files to mine the day I got it. It was quite easy. Basically save the .pdf to one file and move it to the documents folder in your Kindle files. Sync it. Done!

I'm not sure about the borrowing from friends thing. But I'll keep my eye out for any answers on that!

Side loading PDFs and non Amazon free books (and MP3s) is fairly easy. Put them in My Documents on your computer, then drag and drop them (PDFs, downloads from Project Gutenberg, etc) into the documents folder of your Kindle while it is attached to your computer, MP3s to the music files. I got mine for New Years. lots of fun looking for free stuff to download.

The web browser does not work very well with Puritan Board, but I'll play with that some more (But BBC is fairly good).

Note about the touch - you can't rotate it like you can some of the other Kindles to more easily view PDFs, but it's better than a Blackberry.

If you look at books you've purchased from Amazon(on the item page), if that particular book is lend-able by the publisher, you'll see the line 'lend this book to anyone' at the top of the page. Click on that link, and type in the email of the person to whom you want to lend. Borrowing from friends, they would go to their lend-able book that you want to read, and type in your email. Instant delivery to your Kindle(they have no access to the book while it is being lent, btw).

If you are a member of Amazon Prime, you can borrow a book from Amazon's Lending Library. You can borrow one book per month and there are no due dates.

Thanks, everyone. You're very helpful. Now I'm off to find a public domain copy of D'aubigne's History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century. (This device is either going to open new frontiers for me or totally ruin my life.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back