I know many of you don't like Ann Coulter but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a short review

. . Though liberalism rejects the idea of God and reviles people of faith, it bears all the attributes of a religion itself. In Godless: The Church of Liberalism, Ann Coulter throws open the doors of the Church of Liberalism, showing us:

**Its sacraments (abortion)
**Its holy writ (Roe v. Wade)
**Its martyrs (from Soviet spy Alger Hiss to cop-killer Mumia Abu Jamal)
**Its clergy (public school teachers)
**Its churches (government schools, where prayer is prohibited but condoms are free)
**Its doctrine of infallibility (as manifest in the "œabsolute moral authority" of such spokesmen as Cindy Sheehan and Max Cleland)
**And its cosmology (in which mankind is an inconsequential accident)

Then, of course, there´s the liberal creation myth: Charles Darwin´s theory of evolution.

For liberals, evolution is the touchstone that separates the enlightened from the benighted. But Coulter neatly refutes the lie that liberals are rationalists guided by the ideals of free inquiry and the scientific method. She exposes the essential truth about Darwinian evolution that liberals refuse to confront: It is bogus science.

Writing with a keen appreciation for genuine science, Coulter reveals that the so-called "œgaps" in the theory of evolution are all there is "” Darwinism is nothing but a gap.

After 150 years of dedicated searching into the fossil record, evolution´s proponents have failed utterly to substantiate its claims. And a long line of supposed evidence, from the infamous Piltdown Man to the "œevolving" peppered moths of England, has been exposed as one hoax after another. Still, liberals treat those who question evolution as religious nuts and prohibit students from hearing about real science when it contradicts Darwinism. And these are the people who say they want to keep faith out of the classroom.

Liberals´ absolute devotion to Darwinism, Coulter shows, has nothing to do with evolution´s scientific validity and everything to do with their refusal to admit the possibility of God as a guiding force. They will brook no challenges to the official religion.

I hope Coulter appeals to a higher, credible authority on Darwin and the evolution "gaps" theory. Not that I disagree with her, I just hope she has some sources to back up her claim. It's my understanding that she is not a scientist.

As for her list, I don't understand why she would classify abortion as a sacrament. :banghead:

And cosmology is a philosophical view, not a "religion". Other than that, I guess she's cool.

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk

As for her list, I don't understand why she would classify abortion as a sacrament. :banghead:

because it's the flesh and blood of the innocent...

She consulted William Dembski of the Discovery Institute on the evolution issue.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt

because it's the flesh and blood of the innocent...

I see...:detective: I think she's going too far with that one though. It is the flesh and blood of the innocent but it has no connection to a sacrament. I don't believe in sacraments as I'm a Baptist but it is my understanding that you guys believe sacraments to be a means of grace dispensed by Christ?

Brian...you have to take into consideration HER religious background (no clue, but could be catholic). Also...she is being very sarcastic in her list, naturally we would not consider abortion a sacrament...but when compare to, and especially in light of child sacrifices of pagan religions, it is good word play on the liberal agenda.

I hope Coulter appeals to a higher, credible authority on Darwin and the evolution "gaps" theory. Not that I disagree with her, I just hope she has some sources to back up her claim. It's my understanding that she is not a scientist.

Well since Darwinism is not held based at bottom a scientific view but a metaphyscial one, one should ask if she has the philosophical chops to pull it off, and less about the scientific ones.

And cosmology is a philosophical view, not a "religion". Other than that, I guess she's cool.

Well it depends on how you want to define religion vs. philsophy.

You may be right brother. However, nobody is interested in my opinion as I have been told so I will refrain from answering. My apologies.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Brian...you have to take into consideration HER religious background (no clue, but could be catholic). Also...she is being very sarcastic in her list, naturally we would not consider abortion a sacrament...but when compare to, and especially in light of child sacrifices of pagan religions, it is good word play on the liberal agenda.

I would like to say "good point and I agree" but I would be sharing my opinion which nobody wants to hear. I am sorry.

I think Coulter is Catholic, but I could be wrong. Anyway, Catholics see communion as a sacrament that involves actual sacrifice (Christ is being sacrificed on the altar) for the salvation of people (of course this view is in error, but it is what they teach). Anyway, abortion is a sacrifice of a child to save something or somebody else (the mother, her ambitions, or whatever).

Some abortion supporters use the language of sacrament themselves. See the Amazon reviews for Sacrament of Abortion , for example.

My regard for Ms. Coulter fall somewhere between pathetic and loathesome. I cannot deny the she stands for certain issues on which believers should also stand, but I personally do not see her as an ally any more than I would see Fred Phelps of the RBC.

Pastor Bruce said this better than I can in a thread a while back on the topic of the Religious Right, but she is another fine example of the "right versus left political paradigm. She construts a polarized political landscape defined stritly by either the political right or the political left. And I believe therein lies her cunning deception, because she forces readers to see issues from only the point of view of the political left or the political right, rather than the principles of the Bible.

Because of some of what she stands for happens to be Biblical, she is viewed favourable by many believing friends I know down in the US. But let us not forget - she is appealling to a political doctrine (of man's invention), not to the Bible. Her occasional use of Biblical references are examples of borrowed capital at best--used only to the extent that they support her "Right" agenda. In the end, her "Right (politicallly) is always right" message is as full of contradictions as that of the political left she attacks. In deference to the overwhelming % of American members on this forum, and to the fact that this is not a political forum, I'll stop there.

I applaud those who seek to expose the bankrupt logic of humanism - but I cannot applaud Ann Coulter. In a recent article on her site entitled, "Lie down with strippers, wake up with pleas" she ends an otherwise exemplary attack on moral relativism with the following:

"But we're all rotten sinners, incapable of redemption on our own. The liberal answer to sin is to say: I can never pay this back, so my argument will be I didn't do anything wrong.

The religion of peace's answer is: I've just beheaded an innocent man "” I'm off to meet Allah!

I don't know what the Jewish answer is, but I'm sure it's something other than, "therefore, what I did is no longer bad behavior" "” or the Talmud could be a lot shorter.

The Christian answer is: I can never pay this back, but luckily that Christ fellow has already paid my debt. "

Need I say more?

dl

[Edited on 5-3-2006 by Cuirassier]

Originally posted by Cuirassier
My regard for Ms. Coulter fall somewhere between pathetic and loathesome. I cannot deny the she stands for certain issues on which believers should also stand, but I personally do not see her as an ally any more than I would see Fred Phelps of the RBC.
[Edited on 5-3-2006 by Cuirassier]

:up:

Very well put!

I enjoy listening to her - she's very entertaining on TV (haven't read any of her books). Its most entertaining when she goes toe-to-toe verbally against liberals. She holds her own as do they. Its like a big-mouth gladiator fight. With either side, I just try and keep in mind to take with a grain of salt broad generalizations made about the other side.

...just thinking out loud about the 'big-mouth' gladiator fight, wondering who would be her most worthy opponent...

I'm trying to think of the name of the actress that was very outspoken against the Iraq war. She appeared on the O'Rielly factor and was quite articulate, and gave him a run for his money. She'd be a worth appointment.

Originally posted by SemperFideles
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
:ditto: Janeane Garofalo
Thank you Andrew. You're obviously a huge fan of Godless entertainers. I try to focus on more Godly things.... ;)
:p Just because I am president of her fan club and have her autograph framed and hanging over my bed does NOT mean I am huge fan...oh, well...never mind. :)

Thank you Andrew. You're obviously a huge fan of Godless entertainers. I try to focus on more Godly things.... ;)
:p Just because I am president of her fan club and have her autograph framed and hanging over my bed does NOT mean I am huge fan...oh, well...never mind. :)
:lol:

I heard the Synagogue she attends, while liberal, sings exclusive Psalmody and without musical instruments.

:lol:

I heard the Synagogue she attends, while liberal, sings exclusive Psalmody and without musical instruments.

Ya, now ya see what I'm talking about, dontcha????? :banana:

Funny, I didn't realize an Irish/Italian atheist was allowed to attend synagogue???

Funny, I didn't realize an Irish/Italian atheist was allowed to attend synagogue???
I was testing you!!

MODS - Andrew is a POSER. He is a huge fan of Janeane Garofalo (note above that Andrew knew how to spell it off the top of his head) and knows not only her Corpus, the spelling of her name, but that she is Irish/Italian! Clearly he is a Spy posing as a Reformed Presbyterian so he can spy out the activities of the Reformed and report back to the National Council of Churches.

I'm of a fan of Coulter's politics anymore, but anyone who can popularize the bankcruptcy of the liberal worldview would be helpful in my opinion. Just use her for the good that she has done. You never know how many people will be shaken from their faith in liberalism and provide us with an opportunity for the gospel.

Yeah, that's the one. She'd be good against Anne.

...hmm...president of her fan club...where DO you find the time for all that you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back