I know not how long I shall live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
February 5, 1788. I know not how long I shall live. I know not how, when, or where I shall die. I know not the length or the kind of my last sickness. But this one thing I know, that after I die, I shall cordially approve of every step of holy providence in my life, and of every circumstance about my death.

March 4, 1788. Every day saints and sinners are carried to their long home. But O! the happiness of the one, and the misery of the other, are so vast—that all the bitterest afflictions of time are lost in the felicity of the godly; and all the good things of time are wholly forgotten in the anguish of the damned.

When death comes into a family, and carries off father or mother, sister or brother, son or daughter, or the dear wife—how familiar to us for a while are the thoughts of death! Now, death comes every day into the family of mankind, and carries off every relation. And though the sorrow cannot be so sharp, yet the instruction is equally strong—to remember our mortality.

JAMES MEIKLE

So true and while I feel so blest to have been granted these years beyond my three score and ten there are so many whose lives end early!

The mother of my grandson's friend drowned last week in the family backyard pool where she daily did exercises. She was 51. I pray for her two sons and husband who will feel this great loss in their life! Thankfully they are believers and yet we know how very painful grief is for all, but different for those who have a great hope!

It is beyond our understanding but comforting to know all is within the realm of God's providence! I am thankful for each day and love this time to come to know Him better daily through His word!

My favorite Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson quote bears well in this discussion:
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" -- Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

My favorite Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson quote bears well in this discussion:
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" -- Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

That is so true: "as safe in battle as in bed." We who are His can always feel like that. We can feel as safe in a cold, stainless-steel tricked-up operating room as we would in Jesus' arms, for the truth is that we can never leave His arms.

As I went through cancer the first time in the early '90s, I didn't know the Lord. I was still loosely a Catholic. "Terrified" doesn't begin to describe the feeling I had at that time, as I went through the diagnosis and treatment... :eek: Now, next Friday, my various "constellation of maladies," including myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), moderate aplastic anemia, internal bleeding of unknown etiology, among others, is going to be presented by my hematologist before the tumor board of a major hospital - and I couldn't be calmer. :) Treatment (or "no treatment") is going to be recommended, and the type... My (relatively) young age is militating in favor of treatment, but I'll be happy with whatever the Lord provides. Whatever is His will, not that of doctors who want to go "as far as available resources" will let them go with me, that's what I want. If it's not His will, who needs it? And He has promised to be with us always, through everything. He doesn't promise it just to the church, but to us as individuals.

How little any of us has to fear! How grateful we must be that we would be the objects of His graciousness, mercy, kindness and care in every situation! He knows the end from the beginning, and He will never let any of us out of the grasp of His everlasting love. We may not even have family or friends or a congregation with us - but we always have Him.

We're all sailing towards that other shore, where Jesus awaits us and has prepared our place. Nothing can ever really go wrong for those who are His... :) :) :)

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back