I must commence my journey to eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
GOING ABROAD

What a load of business presses me on every hand when about to leave my native country! I must state and clear with all my creditors and debtors before I go! Besides, when I am about my ordinary business, a little pocket-money will defray my charges. But it is not so when going abroad; I must have bills of exchange for a considerable sum, and changes of apparel agreeable to that part of the world to which I am bound. Now, if I am thus busied, thus anxious and concerned about my going from one part to another of this terrestrial globe; with what justice will all this care, anxiety, and concern, be increased, when I must commence my journey to eternity, and set out for the other world? This is an event that unavoidably awaits me; and who can tell how soon? Of what folly would I prove myself possessed, should I propose to go so far without a farthing? But with much greater madness would I be intoxicated, should I launch into eternity without a saving interest in the heavenly treasure! To be poor in any part of this present world, begets contempt among the men. But poverty in the eternal world—is an eternal shame, and an irretrievable loss!

Again, would I not blush to go with tattered clothes and dirty shoes, to a part of the world where it is fashionable to be finely dressed? How, then, shall I appear without the white raiment of a Savior's righteousness, in the presence of God, where angels walk in robes of innocence, and saints in broidered garments? When the marriage of the Lamb shall be come, and his wife shall have made herself ready; if found without the wedding-garment; with what confusion of face shall I be covered, and with what anguish cast into outer darkness!

How I am hurried at the last in setting out, notwithstanding I have been so long proposing, and so long preparing for this voyage! Yes an express arrives, that the ship is ready to sail—and I am taken, as it were, unawares—though for some time I have been expecting such a message. Then, since I have this momentous, this interesting voyage into the eternal world before me, let my daily study be so to set all my grand concerns in order, that when ship of death comes, I may have nothing to do but set my foot aboard, and be wafted over to the land of rest!

Again, though looking for death daily, yet I, and all my friends—may be surprised at last.

Now of friends and acquaintances I take a long farewell. But at death I bid the whole world an eternal adieu.

JAMES MEIKLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back