I need to rant: I went to an emergent church yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVigneault

Bawberator
In order to be with extended family yesterday I took my family to a different church. Now I hate myself.

There was no worship at all. There was a video instead of a sermon. Appalling is the word I can't get out of my head.

But the worst was the attempt at the Lord's Table.

The pastor said everyone was welcome as long as they were a Christian. He had everyone form a line and then come up for communion. He handed the plate to the first in line, then he went and sat down but directed the next in line to serve the person behind. He said this is becasue Peter says we are all priests and we don't need a mediator. So little kids were administering the elements to adults and vice versa. After everyone had the elements the pastor had everyone stand eat the bread and then hold the cup up in the air because, "This morning we are going to toast the ressurection!" He then called out, "Thank you Jesus" and had everyone drink the cup. :barfy:

Even before communion I had already told my wife we would not be partaking.

It was agonizing. But it did give a good illustration by which I could explain to my kids why we do things the way we do in our 'simple' worship service of the OPC.

Originally posted by BobVigneault
Now I hate myself.
I've taken Jennifer to a few :barfy:-like "worship" services at different churches (for educational reasons) . . gives us perspective.

One was like this the whole time:
ole.gif
ole.gif
ole.gif
ole.gif
ole.gif
ole.gif

Well, we don't want to be Pharisee's about the matter . . but it makes it obvious that all churches aren't the same, and that there is a reason why we do things the way we do. :)

You don't have to hate yourself for it. ;)

(Note, I'm trying to expand on my smiley use.
032.gif
)

"Appalling" came to your mind. As I read your account, "Mockery" came to mine.

It would be wise not to return again for any reason.

:2cents:

Oh, GAG! I almost want to say that you deserve it for going...LOL! But I understand your attempt at being with family. Church is the one thing we have decided not to compromise with family on...and they agree and refuse to attend any we go to as well. If we get together on a Lord's Day for a special occasion, then it is always AFTER services.

Awesome use of smileys Casey, and you know personally the wonderful church family I was missing yesterday. (I don't really hate myself, a relative asked me to come for Easter Sunday and I said I would.)

Right Chris and Colleen, I am much sadder but wiser today. I am also being purposely vague about the leadership of the church because it is family. It won't happen again.

In order to be with extended family yesterday I took my family to a different church. Now I hate myself.

There was no worship at all. There was a video instead of a sermon. Appalling is the word I can't get out of my head.

The pastor said everyone was welcome as long as they were a Christian. He had everyone form a line and then come up for communion. He handed the plate to the first in line, then he went and sat down but directed the next in line to serve the person behind. He said this is becasue Peter says we are all priests and we don't need a mediator. So little kids were administering the elements to adults and vice versa. After everyone had the elements the pastor had everyone stand eat the bread and then hold the cup up in the air because, "This morning we are going to toast the ressurection!" He then called out, "Thank you Jesus" and had everyone drink the cup. :barfy:

It was agonizing. But it did give a good illustration by which I could explain to my kids why we do things the way we do in our 'simple' worship service of the OPC.

i had a similar (though not quite as bad) experience one time where the elements were being handed out to any and everybody without even pausing to reflect. most of the women looked like prostitutes and the men look like they just came from a baseball game. No respect for the house of God!! those the eat and drink unworthily....

I'm one of those on the board who think that we push the RWP to overly vigilant extremes at times but that service yesterday was the most thorough tribute to Nadab and Abihu I have ever experienced. When the pastor lifted his cup to toast I got ready to duck the lightning. God was merciful.

sorry, couldn't find a smilie being struck by lightning...we NEED one of those for this board....(admins?)

Yep, we should take away his "Puritanboard Doctor" and in it's place put Master of History and Smilies.

After everyone had the elements the pastor had everyone stand eat the bread and then hold the cup up in the air because, "This morning we are going to toast the ressurection!" He then called out, "Thank you Jesus" and had everyone drink the cup. :barfy:
Just when you thought you'd heard everything...drinking a toast to the resurrection...

Did I make a mistake joining this board?

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk

Did I make a mistake joining this board?

What makes you wonder that? (I'm sorry, I don't totally understand your question)

I had a similar experience Easter Sunday last year at an otherwise solid evangelical church in my area. They had a film depicting the Last Supper and I think had communion before that (although that wasn't the travesty that Bob witnessed yesterday). After the film the pastor gave the altar call.

Brian, the problem was in complete disorder and disrespect towards something and a day that should not be treated lightly.

LadyFlynt, thank you for answering but in the quote below I am failing to see where there was disorder and disrespect. Everyone is welcome to partake of the Lord's Supper as long as they are Christian. We are all priests so I personally don't see a problem with everyone serving each other. And it doesn't sound to me like the "toast" to the Resurrection was disrespectful. I guess I would have had to have seen it myself to be able to form a realistic opinion but just to read it in a post, to me I don't see anything wrong with it. Finally, I think it is fine for him to say "thank you Jesus".

"The pastor said everyone was welcome as long as they were a Christian. He had everyone form a line and then come up for communion. He handed the plate to the first in line, then he went and sat down but directed the next in line to serve the person behind. He said this is becasue Peter says we are all priests and we don't need a mediator. So little kids were administering the elements to adults and vice versa. After everyone had the elements the pastor had everyone stand eat the bread and then hold the cup up in the air because, "This morning we are going to toast the ressurection!" He then called out, "Thank you Jesus" and had everyone drink the cup."

LadyFlynt, thank you for answering but in the quote below I am failing to see where there was disorder and disrespect. Everyone is welcome to partake of the Lord's Supper as long as they are Christian. We are all priests so I personally don't see a problem with everyone serving each other. And it doesn't sound to me like the "toast" to the Resurrection was disrespectful. I guess I would have had to have seen it myself to be able to form a realistic opinion but just to read it in a post, to me I don't see anything wrong with it. Finally, I think it is fine for him to say "thank you Jesus".

"The pastor said everyone was welcome as long as they were a Christian. He had everyone form a line and then come up for communion. He handed the plate to the first in line, then he went and sat down but directed the next in line to serve the person behind. He said this is becasue Peter says we are all priests and we don't need a mediator. So little kids were administering the elements to adults and vice versa. After everyone had the elements the pastor had everyone stand eat the bread and then hold the cup up in the air because, "This morning we are going to toast the ressurection!" He then called out, "Thank you Jesus" and had everyone drink the cup."

I found what was shared to be extremely offensive personally. I do not think find the LORD'S Supper to be something we take lightly. I believe what went on in that church was indeed Blaphamy. Please, take a few minutes to think through what went on.. A toast to the resurrection????? in the drinking of the blood??? ect...
:mad: :mad:

But who says they were taking it lightly? And who says a "toast" to the Resurrection is wrong? I have a feeling that it wasn't really a "toast" but even if it were...so what? Don't we say thank you for the Resurrection on a daily basis? I am sorry...I just don't see the problem.

But who says they were taking it lightly? And who says a "toast" to the Resurrection is wrong? I have a feeling that it wasn't really a "toast" but even if it were...so what? Don't we say thank you for the Resurrection on a daily basis? I am sorry...I just don't see the problem.
Brian,

It's a difference in perspective as to what the Scriptures prescribe in terms of worship. It resonates with those of us who agree that worship is solemn and serious and that God has much to say about how He is worshipped. Many Christian Churches are very ignorant of what the Scriptures say about God and His view of how we ought to worship Him.

I encourage you to read through Judges, I & II Kings and I & II Chronicles especially. You will see a pattern that God, who is Holy, takes great umbrage at His people regarding Him lightly or worshipping Him in a way that He has not commanded. Israel (the Northern Kingdom) is repeatedly accused of the "sin of Jeroboam" as the principle reason they were cut off. The sin of Jeroboam was not that he worshipped a false God but introduced elements and places in worship that were in violation of the command of God. Over and over we see God chastising Israel for their disregard of His holy character in the way they worship Him.

Thus, a pattern is established: God, who is immutable, takes worship very seriously. It is common tody for people to believe that any contemporary element that seems meaningful to us, is appropriate for worship. Why not let kids serve adults communion? Why not lift a toast to the Resurrection? Why? Because it is not commanded. Because it is crass. Because elders are entrusted with care of the flock and ensure that their congregants are not partaking in an unworthy manner and chlidren should not be given the authority of serving the table of the Lord to a person who is their elder.

Worship is not a free form expression of what seems right in our own eyes. It is an expression of what God has commanded us to render to Him. Worship is about God and not about us primarily. God is a Holy God who, if we were to stand in His presence, would be brought low in fear and trembling as Isaiah was for He is mighty, wondrous, and awesome. Worship should be profound and reverant.

If that is not your experience of worship then I only request that you study the issue of worship from the Scriptures. If you believe that the worship of God permits invention on the part of worshippers then please present your case from the Scriptures. The reason why you might find the posts "strange" might have as much to do with the Church culture you are accustomed to but let that not be your guide. If you can present a Scriptural case that the behavior above is acceptable worship then present the Scriptural arguments. Stating we are all priests, however, needs a bit of definition as priestly worship has never been free-flowing in the Word of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back