I Resigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staphlobob

Puritan Board Sophomore
Well, it finally happened. After 10 years of my praying, preaching and writing against them, the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) finally got rid of me. I read my Letter of Resignation to the church council on Sunday, March 4th (lots of anger at me), and then to the congregation on Sunday, March 11th (lots more anger at me). Here are its contents ...

March 4, 2007

In 1997 the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America entered into complete “altar and pulpit fellowship” with the Presbyterian Church (USA), the United Church of Christ, and the Reformed Church of America. Although I’d previously spoken up loudly at Synod Assemblies and among gatherings of pastors regarding my opposition to entering into unity with such obvious heretics, “full communion” was accomplished nonetheless. Consequently I wrote a Letter of Excommunication to the national bishop and council, as well as to the bishop and council of the Delaware-Maryland Synod, informing them that I could no longer commune with any pastor, bishop, or official representative of the ELCA. (And I have been faithful to this decree of excommunication for 10 years.)

Nothing was ever done in response.

Since 1997, by virtue of a biblically-informed conscience, I have refused to fill out and send in the annual “Parochial Report” as well as any other pertinent pastoral information, to the Delaware-Maryland Synod. Failure to do these things was in clear violation of the ELCA’s constitution.

Nothing was ever done in response.

Since 1997 I have consistently preached, taught, and written against the theological stance (or lack thereof) of the ELCA and these other so-called “church” bodies

Nothing was ever done in response. (In the meantime, the theological and spiritual condition of the ELCA continued to deteriorate … severely.)

In 2005 I brought up the issue of St. Andrew Lutheran Church’s benevolence going to an organization that is as clearly unbiblical and anti-Christian as the ELCA; that the Christian conscience should be bothered by our financial support of such an institution. Consequently, at my prompting, St. Andrew Lutheran Church voted not to provide monies to either the ELCA or the Delaware-Maryland Synod.

THAT got their attention.

In October of 2006 Bishop Knoche and some members of his synod council met with me and several members of St. Andrew Church Council. At that meeting the bishop asked if he could attend our December 2006 congregational meeting. Because we did not have the authority to issue such an invitation we guaranteed that his request would be brought to the full Church Council of St. Andrew, and that he would be contacted regarding the decision. In turn the bishop – in front of everyone there! – promised to abide by such an action.

At the next meeting of the St. Andrew Lutheran Church Council (November 2006) the decision was made NOT to invite Bishop Knoche to the December congregational meeting. Instead the resolution was to have the entire church body, at the upcoming December gathering, vote on whether or not to invite the bishop to the next congregational meeting which was scheduled for February 2007. The bishop was duly contacted with this information.

Yet, in spite of his previously-given word, the bishop nonetheless showed up – knowingly uninvited – to our December meeting.

Following this particular meeting the bishop then asked to meet with me on Monday, February 5, 2007. At that meeting he asked for my resignation as pastor from St. Andrew Lutheran Church, threatening to have me disciplined by the synod council should I refuse. I immediately responded with joy – not at being forced to resign – but because, after 10 years of ignoring me, these people finally responded.

Furthermore, it must be noted that the cause, the motivation, for their actions was certainly not their theology or doctrine. (The ELCA is, in fact, theologically empty and has no discernable doctrine.) Rather, it was simply the issue of money. Sad, but true.

Nonetheless, as a result of the actions of the bishop and council of the Delaware-Maryland Synod I am required to resign as pastor of St. Andrew Lutheran Church. My last day will be April 8, 2007 – Easter Sunday.

My 13+ years at St. Andrew have been the most formative and enjoyable time of my life. I will forever hold you in my heart and my prayers.

Yours in Christ,

Pastor Kevin Guillory

Well God bless you brother. On one hand I'm sad and on the other I want to say congratulations. It looks as if you stood in there and "carried the mail" for a good long time. Good job.

Wow, what a tale. When you touch the apple of the ey--er, wallet, you know you've touched that which matter's dearly.

Why were the council and the congregation angry at you? Or were they? It seemed like you were saying that was their reaction. If they appreciated you all this time, is it just because they are upset that you wouldn't compromise, and thereby stay a little longer for their own sakes?

Blessings on your future.

Good to see men willing to labor long in difficult circumstances when many men will just form whole denominations over minor issues.

Part of me is saddened that your situation occured. Another part of me says good job for hanging in there all this time. It takes alot of integrity to put your head on the chopping block like you did. God bless you for taking a stand.

Good to see men willing to labor long in difficult circumstances when many men will just form whole denominations over minor issues.
:amen: Your story is thoroughly inspiring, Rev. Guillory. Faithful service to the Lord in the face of much opposition, even from within your congregation will not be for naught. May the seeds you have planted in your time there blossom gloriously.

Kevin, I admire your stand. I trust God blesses the new congregation.

Kevin - I pray that the Lord will sustain you through the coming days. Do have immediate plans after Resurrection Day?

Why were the council and the congregation angry at you? Or were they? It seemed like you were saying that was their reaction. If they appreciated you all this time, is it just because they are upset that you wouldn't compromise, and thereby stay a little longer for their own sakes?

Though some are grieving my departure, others (leaders mostly) are angry because of my signature. Take note of it at the end of my posts.

Redeemer Christian Congregation is composed of a handfull of previous members of St. Andrew Lutheran Church. For 13+ years they have faithfully attended most of my Bible studies. As I would write or speak about the theological and spiritual conditions of the ELCA they refused to simply take my word for it, but instead carried out very thorough examinations on their own. Needless to say they were shocked at what they discovered. (E.g., herchurch.org - this being only one very small part of the larger ELCA picture.)

While initially praying for the conversion and renewal of the ELCA, they eventually came to the conclusion that such a thing was not God's will (or the will of those who lead the ELCA). So they began to speak out in public regarding the denomination. This, in turn, caused them to suffer quite a bit of verbal and emotional abuse from other - heterodox, ELCA-supporting - members. The situation actually went on for several years.

Eventually this group got together for mutual support and prayer (they did so on their own and without my knowledge). Though they originally thought of going to some other church, they eventually decided to form their own congregation. Knowing I would probably be forced to leave St. Andrew, they called me to be their pastor at 1/2 time and 1/2 pay. After the hammer came down (Feb 5, 2007) I then signed the Call Letter (Feb 26, 2007) to Redeemer Christian Congregation.

Hence the anger. As someone said, it appears that much of it is aimed at the fact that I actually have a place to go when leaving St. Andrew. Perhaps many were hoping I'd simply be thrown out on the street. If that is the Lord's will (and it may yet be - we're not sure if RCC will survive or not) then I will joyfully accept it and move on. But for the moment I will continue to be a pastor.

In the meantime there is lots of anger at the secrecy of the formation of the RCC and my call to it. I wrote an article on the topic of secrecy and will be posting it here.

Kevin - I pray that the Lord will sustain you through the coming days. Do have immediate plans after Resurrection Day?

Just praising the Lord face-to-face.:amen:

BTW, both of being from Maryland, I just attended a "9 Marks of a Health Church" conference at Sandy Cove. The members of Capitol Hill Baptist Church (Mark Dever and others) who spoke at this gathering, were nothing short of phenomenal. This was an extremely practical conference. Lots of solid, down-to-earth teaching regarding the health of a church. For example:
- diagnosing the success of a church (faithfulness to the Word)
- guarding the front door (making membership difficult - people must believe before belonging)
- keeping the back door wide open (make leaving membership easy - public and unrepenant sinners have to be excommunicated)

Very good, biblically solid, stuff.

Just praising the Lord face-to-face.:amen:

BTW, both of being from Maryland, I just attended a "9 Marks of a Health Church" conference at Sandy Cove. The members of Capitol Hill Baptist Church (Mark Dever and others) who spoke at this gathering, were nothing short of phenomenal. This was an extremely practical conference. Lots of solid, down-to-earth teaching regarding the health of a church. For example:
- diagnosing the success of a church (faithfulness to the Word)
- guarding the front door (making membership difficult - people must believe before belonging)
- keeping the back door wide open (make leaving membership easy - public and unrepenant sinners have to be excommunicated)

Very good, biblically solid, stuff.

Kevin - my pastor just attended the 9 Marks Conference in February (I know this because I had to preach in his absence!). He came back with a lot of "good stuff." I was encouraged by Capitol Hill Baptist's recommendation to a couple from Pasadena, MD who were traveling all the way to D.C. to attend their church. The leadership at Capitol Hill Baptist suggested this couple attend our church. On the 9 Marks webiste (under church locator) we were the closest Baptist church that embraced the sovereignty of God. They are now attending and considering membership. Isn't that reason to give praise to our God? Instead of trying to grow their own rolls, they understood the common sense of joining with a church close to home.

btw...after you are done with your church, I would like to invite you to be our guest on the Lord's Day. I understand your Lutheran, but while you're inbetween churches I would be honored if you would worship with us. After worship service we have a fellowship meal. You're welcome to stay and fellowship with some of your Baptist brethren.

The leadership at Capitol Hill Baptist suggested this couple attend our church. On the 9 Marks webiste (under church locator) we were the closest Baptist church that embraced the sovereignty of God. They are now attending and considering membership. Isn't that reason to give praise to our God?

Amen! Those CHBC people are great guys! I have nothing but respect for them, and praise to God for giving them to us.

btw...after you are done with your church, I would like to invite you to be our guest on the Lord's Day. I understand your Lutheran, but while you're inbetween churches I would be honored if you would worship with us. After worship service we have a fellowship meal. You're welcome to stay and fellowship with some of your Baptist brethren.

Thank you very much for the invitation. I'll be checking my schedule and, if possible, I'd LOVE to attend your church.

Pastor Guillory,

Will you and your congregation be seeking to join the LCMS or Wisconsin Synod? Praying for you guys.

It is encouraging to hear of faithful servants as yourself.

May God bless you and this new congregation as you all seek to glorify Him.

Pastor Guillory,

Will you and your congregation be seeking to join the LCMS or Wisconsin Synod? Praying for you guys.

No, that's not a possibility for me. I'm a full-fledged 5-pointer and the 2-points of Lutheranism don't do it for me anymore.

We'll probably stay independent for a while. Later on we'll be checking out a number of possible affiliations.

Thanks for the prayers

Change in Perspective

I think its easier (at least in some LCMS churches) to be a 5 pointer as a layman and not pastor. However, I really don't have too much of a problem with the BoC on election.

Well, my questions are mostly out of curiousity:

Anyway, do you, and your church still hold to the "lutheran" view of the sacraments and christology?

If so, what do you think are the options for affiliation?

With the maturation of your Theology to what other confessions would you subscribe?

;)
I think its easier (at least in some LCMS churches) to be a 5 pointer as a layman and not pastor. However, I really don't have too much of a problem with the BoC on election.

Well, my questions are mostly out of curiousity:

Anyway, do you, and your church still hold to the "lutheran" view of the sacraments and christology?

If so, what do you think are the options for affiliation?

With the maturation of your Theology to what other confessions would you subscribe?

My wife is still "Lutheran" in her understanding of the sacrament of Holy Communion. I am more Reformed (i.e., the presence of the divine nature of Christ, but not the human - John 16:7 is what finally did it for me). Chances are there are some in this small group who tend more towards a Lutheran pov, while others differ.

Our understanding of baptism is more uniform. We hold to a covenantal - not a regenerative - theology.

Our Charter Document simply states that we believe in "the mysterious and indefinable presence of our Risen Lord in the proclamation of His Word and the celebration of His Sacraments (Baptism and Holy Communion)".

While the BOC is a grand, even glorious, document, I cannot see us going in a Lutheran direction. As a thoroughgoing 5 pointer I personally could not subscribe to it. We'll probably be looking along the lines of the Reformed Episcopal Church, or the Traditional Protestant Episcopal Church, or the Evangelical Free. Or we might just remain independent. But it's still too early to begin speculation.

Personally I hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith, though not everyone in Redeemer Christian Congregation does ... yet!;) The above groups - especially the REC and EFCA - might provide us with some leeway. That is, a Reformed pastor of a bit more diverse group.

The details of your journey, given in this thread, are very interesting and quite inspiring. Thanks for sharing so freely. May God continue to bless your new ministry.

Pastor,

Like others I am both saddened it came to this, but joyful that even during it all God had been preparing the way for you to continue pastoring a remnant of your former congregation.

I imagine when the synod brings in an interim or new false teacher, some will be convicted and their hearts seered with a hot iron (after having been under sound doctrine for many years) that something isn't quite right about what they are preaching, and they too will leave. Maybe not all of them, but I imagine some of them will leave in the future as well.

Good Bye

I wish you well in your endeavourers. May the Lord guide you to make the best decisions. I know many at St. Andrew's wish they where informed of your intentions regarding the ELCA.

The Puritan Ninja

Though some are grieving my departure, others (leaders mostly) are angry because of my signature. Take note of it at the end of my posts.

Redeemer Christian Congregation is composed of a handfull of previous members of St. Andrew Lutheran Church. For 13+ years they have faithfully attended most of my Bible studies. As I would write or speak about the theological and spiritual conditions of the ELCA they refused to simply take my word for it, but instead carried out very thorough examinations on their own. Needless to say they were shocked at what they discovered. (E.g., herchurch.org - this being only one very small part of the larger ELCA picture.)

While initially praying for the conversion and renewal of the ELCA, they eventually came to the conclusion that such a thing was not God's will (or the will of those who lead the ELCA). So they began to speak out in public regarding the denomination. This, in turn, caused them to suffer quite a bit of verbal and emotional abuse from other - heterodox, ELCA-supporting - members. The situation actually went on for several years.

Eventually this group got together for mutual support and prayer (they did so on their own and without my knowledge). Though they originally thought of going to some other church, they eventually decided to form their own congregation. Knowing I would probably be forced to leave St. Andrew, they called me to be their pastor at 1/2 time and 1/2 pay. After the hammer came down (Feb 5, 2007) I then signed the Call Letter (Feb 26, 2007) to Redeemer Christian Congregation.

Hence the anger. As someone said, it appears that much of it is aimed at the fact that I actually have a place to go when leaving St. Andrew. Perhaps many were hoping I'd simply be thrown out on the street. If that is the Lord's will (and it may yet be - we're not sure if RCC will survive or not) then I will joyfully accept it and move on. But for the moment I will continue to be a pastor.

In the meantime there is lots of anger at the secrecy of the formation of the RCC and my call to it. I wrote an article on the topic of secrecy and will be posting it here.

Brother, I will keep you in my prayers.

It saddens me that some would be angry with you. Especially people within your own church. It seems as if their love has grown cold.

In Christ,
Andrew

I wish you well in your endeavourers. May the Lord guide you to make the best decisions. I know many at St. Andrew's wish they where informed of your intentions regarding the ELCA.

The Puritan Ninja

Hey Mike. How ya doin'? Just got a voice mail from you (cable and cell phones sometimes take DAYS for these things to go through - someone said they even waited 10 days for one of them). I'll call back asap.

If many at St. Andrew didn't know of my intentions regading the ELCA, then they weren't paying attention for the past 10 years. Things like open forums, sermons, newsletter articles, Bible classes, only to be followed by more sermons, more open forums, etc. Kinda hard to miss.

Brother, I will keep you in my prayers.

It saddens me that some would be angry with you. Especially people within your own church. It seems as if their love has grown cold.

For some the love may never have been there. For others it may be the passion of anger that's (hopefully temporarily) eclipsing their love for the Lord.

Pastor Guillory,

:pray2:

While I and others would be biased in wanting your congregation to affiliate with a proper Presbyterian body, still this lowly layman would encourage you and your flock to at least make contact with a home missionary of one (or several!) like minded denominations, just to see where you might 'fit in' in six months or a year or so... no strings attached...

Last edited:
Pastor Guillory,

:pray2:

While I and others would be biased in wanting your congregation to affiliate with a proper Presbyterian body, still this lowly layman would encourage you and your flock to at least make contact with a home missionary of one (or several!) like minded denominations, just to see where you might 'fit in' in six months or a year or so... no strings attached...

Have no fear. That WILL happen.

Last year when this group was meeting on an informal basis, they originally had no intention of forming a congregation. The idea was to examine various church bodies that they might be interested in visiting and/or joining. I had already lined up a number of pastors from several denominations to come by and make presentations. But then things began to change and they became a church, causing me to cancel the appointments.

But I still have the names and phone numbers. They'll be contacted asap.

BTW, starting in September we'll be studying the WCF. It's already found in the back of the Trinity hymnal we'll be using.

While the BOC is a grand, even glorious, document, I cannot see us going in a Lutheran direction. As a thoroughgoing 5 pointer I personally could not subscribe to it. We'll probably be looking along the lines of the Reformed Episcopal Church, or the Traditional Protestant Episcopal Church, or the Evangelical Free.

Yes...Yes.....Yessssss...... UNNNNLIMITED....POWE.....oh wait. :D

Yeah, keep lookin' at that Free Church :D (and talking with my pastor). There seems to be a huge upsurge of reformed folk in our denom right now, especially with a large number of the faculty at Trinity being reformed. :)

Yes...Yes.....Yessssss...... UNNNNLIMITED....POWE.....oh wait. :D

Yeah, keep lookin' at that Free Church :D (and talking with my pastor). There seems to be a huge upsurge of reformed folk in our denom right now, especially with a large number of the faculty at Trinity being reformed. :)

I go to a Free Church, and we are Reformed in our theology. :ditto: :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back