I think we did the right thing, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I sent my wife out to get herself some clothes and gave her a check for $130. She went into the bank, cashed the check, and was on her way. I got a call and she asked me how much the check was for, since she hadn't looked at it. I told her $130 and she told me the bank teller gave her over $900! She asked, "Should I keep it?" I hesitated for a nanosecond and then told her it'd be stealing and she should bring it back to the bank right away.

Needless to say, she told me the bank teller was very thankful and appreciative. He said he couldn't figure out how he made the mistake. The bank teller next to him figured out what he had done - the check number was 932, and that's what he gave my wife!

Thinking back, I don't have any regrets (???) about giving the money back. We did do the right thing...didn't we???

(the $930 sure would have come in handy) :banghead:
:lol:

[Edited on 1-15-2005 by blhowes]

You did the right thing! You may want to bang your head against the wall now, but at least you can sleep with a good conscience! :up:

Bob,

Just to set your mind at ease - you did the right thing. Also, contrary to many TV shows, if you had kept the money, your account would just have been debited. Such a "mistaken" amount would have been found out, and you would have been debited.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
s5oeat.gif

Therefore the Lord the God of Israel declares: "˜I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,´ but now the Lord declares: "˜Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

1 Samuel 2:30

You know, I had a similar situation a while ago, that I still think about. I was at the laundromat, and used the change machine. I put in $2 and got $4 back. I felt really bad keeping it, but there was noone there--for whatever reason, the staff at the laundromat tends to disappear. So I gave the extra $2 to a homeless person. But I still felt like I was stealing. But what could I have done?

All kidding aside, I praise the Lord for events like this. My wife had my two sons and their friend from across the street with them. I think it was good for them to see in a real life situation that obeying God's law is more important than money. I think my boys especially at times know how tight I am with money, so hopefully they'll learn from this.

Fred, to tell you the truth, I don't think there would have been any way for the teller to know that he had given us the extra money. He did the transaction as if we had withdrawn $130, and gave us the receipt for that amount. At the end of the day, he would have been short around $800, and I doubt if they would have traced it. But, like you said, there's no such thing as a free lunch and, even if the teller didn't catch it...be sure, your sin will find you out.

Originally posted by Cottonball
You know, I had a similar situation a while ago, that I still think about. I was at the laundromat, and used the change machine. I put in $2 and got $4 back. I felt really bad keeping it, but there was noone there--for whatever reason, the staff at the laundromat tends to disappear. So I gave the extra $2 to a homeless person. But I still felt like I was stealing. But what could I have done?
Isn't that neat how the Lord works in people's hearts? Most probably would have said, "It's only $2", but breaking God's law is breaking God's law, regardless of the amount.

Yeah, it's funny for you! Seriously, though, think of all the things you can buy with $2.... Used books, chocolate bars, chips, subway fare...

Originally posted by blhowes
I sent my wife out to get herself some clothes and gave her a check for $130. She went into the bank, cashed the check, and was on her way. I got a call and she asked me how much the check was for, since she hadn't looked at it. I told her $130 and she told me the bank teller gave her over $900! She asked, "Should I keep it?" I hesitated for a nanosecond and then told her it'd be stealing and she should bring it back to the bank right away.

Needless to say, she told me the bank teller was very thankful and appreciative. He said he couldn't figure out how he made the mistake. The bank teller next to him figured out what he had done - the check number was 932, and that's what he gave my wife!

Thinking back, I don't have any regrets (???) about giving the money back. We did do the right thing...didn't we???

(the $930 sure would have come in handy) :banghead:
:lol:

[Edited on 1-15-2005 by blhowes]

In the words of Spike Lee..."Do the right thing" and you did. Praise God! :up:

Of course you did the right thing. I've had similar situations happen with me before (several) and I've always opted to give the money back.

I am waiting for a armored car to overturn and random $20's and $100's go flying around the highway and the bank writes it off in taxes and doesn't ask for the money back.... but I'm not holding my breath.....

Yeah, it's funny for you! Seriously, though, think of all the things you can buy with $2.... Used books, chocolate bars, chips, subway fare...

Yeah, can't do without those chocolate bars and chips. :lol:

Originally posted by OS_X
Of course you did the right thing. I've had similar situations happen with me before (several) and I've always opted to give the money back.

I am waiting for a armored car to overturn and random $20's and $100's go flying around the highway and the bank writes it off in taxes and doesn't ask for the money back.... but I'm not holding my breath.....

Or to find a winning lottery ticket while walking down the street worth 100 Million.:bigsmile:

In college, Dominoe's used to have $5 large pizza with 1 topping. We used to have to get 3 or 4 guys together to go in for a pizza. Having $20 was like winning the lottery.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back