I was invited to a church service today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
I saw a friend of mine today that I have not seen in a while. When I shared with him what is going on in my life he invited me to his church, at least for a one-time visit he said.

It's called "The Fireplace" and the pastor preaches in shorts and a t-shirt. He told me that the church is full of homosexuals, drug users, and drunks! He said, "It's a hospital man, the Lord is really doing something there!"

I smiled and told him that I would consider it, but that I was a Presbyterian now and liked order in my church services.
:bigsmile:

Wow. I guess the question is "Is the church full of *practicing* homosexuals, drug users and drunks?" or "Is the church full of *former* homosexuals, drug addicts and drunks?" :eek:

Originally posted by houseparent
I am most certain he would say BOTH.

If lives are being transformed and cleansed, surely God is at work.

It reminds me of Brooklyn Tabernacle. They also have both. So many of thier elders, deacons, choir members etc. are people the Lord rescued from a destructive way of life!

Our God IS awesome!:bigsmile:

Without knowing anything about this particular church, it is true that every faithful church is full of sinners, both repentant and sometimes not.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. (I Cor. 6.9-11)

Why would anyone want such people in a church? The church isn't a hosptial, it's the house of God. A little Puritanism here would be nice....

I, for one, think it speaks well of your friend that he even asked you to his church. He may have some misguided views on ecclesiology, but I do think it is commendable that he cared enough for you to even give the invite.
I would attend, just once, just to get a feel for how things are going over there... that is, unless you've been to this type of church before. I always find it helpful to visit churches with whom I disagree because I many times find that they're not the stark raving mad, chaotic bunch of heretics that we so often describe them as. :candle:

Originally posted by ConfederateTheocrat
Why would anyone want such people in a church? The church isn't a hosptial, it's the house of God. A little Puritanism here would be nice....

Matthew 9:11-13

11And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, "Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"

12When Jesus heard that, He said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13But go and learn what this means: "I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

I have no problem with sinners attending church because we were all once lost just as they are. I would have a problem if that church wasn't preaching the gospel but so far we have no evidence that the particular church being mentioned in this thread is not doing so. How can they hear unless there is a preacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back