Iconic representations of non-deities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I agree that pictorial representations of the Godhead violate the 2nd Commandment. What about two-dimensional representations of non-divine figures (guys from church history)? What's the difference between that and pictures of Calvin, Knox, and Luther on the wall in the Sunday School room? The only thing is that it seems "icon-y" but I don't see the 2nd Commandment violation.

The sin history of the church has some bearing on what is wise. I'm more wary of things that resemble familiar problem areas than I am of things that don't. The worship of carried icons and statues of saints has been a particular problem area (and still is) in a way that the worship of framed pictures in one's study or classroom has not. So even though there may be nothing inherently more troubling about a statue in a Sunday school room vs. a framed picture there, I might give the statue more scrutiny.

The sin history of the church has some bearing on what is wise. I'm more wary of things that resemble familiar problem areas than I am of things that don't. The worship of carried icons and statues of saints has been a particular problem area (and still is) in a way that the worship of framed pictures in one's study or classroom has not. So even though there may be nothing inherently more troubling about a statue in a Sunday school room vs. a framed picture there, I might give the statue more scrutiny.

I see what you are saying, but...

Representations of Calvin and Company will necessarily be painted, not photographed (so we aren't entirely removed from the problem). Further, a few years ago, the 500th anniversary of Calvin's birth, that whole year seemed a lot like a "Feast unto Calvin" reminiscent of Rome and Byzantium.

Yeah, we need to be careful of idolizing people like Calvin whether we make statues of them or paintings or photographs or none of those things. Yet I agree with you that such things are not inherently wrong. I do think there are ways to create and display such images that are more likely to lead to trouble based on the connotations that come with them due to historical abuses. There are a myriad of subtle and not-so-subtle clues that communicate whether one is effectively worshipping the person pictured or merely appreciating his contributions to the church—the difference between idolatry and a helpful link to the past. I do think it's wise for us to pay attention to these clues. They make a difference in the messages were sending in this regard.

Further, a few years ago, the 500th anniversary of Calvin's birth, that whole year seemed a lot like a "Feast unto Calvin" reminiscent of Rome and Byzantium.

You really are stirring the pot today! :stirpot: Seriously, though, I seem to recall Backwoods commenting at the time that "Calvin 500" reminded him of why Calvin requested to be buried in an unmarked grave.

Yeah, we need to be careful of idolizing people like Calvin whether we make statues of them or paintings or photographs or none of those things. Yet I agree with you that such things are not inherently wrong. I do think there are ways to create and display such images that are more likely to lead to trouble based on the connotations that come with them due to historical abuses. There are a myriad of subtle and not-so-subtle clues that communicate whether one is effectively worshipping the person pictured or merely appreciating his contributions to the church—the difference between idolatry and a helpful link to the past. I do think it's wise for us to pay attention to these clues. They make a difference in the messages were sending in this regard.

Indeed, Jack. I once heard of someone speaking at a Bible study and who made the comment that "We're not like Jesus and the Puritans; we're not perfect". This sort of thing really does not help the cause of those of us who want to return to Reformed confessionalism; hence we need to make it clear that though we receive the dogmas confessed in the Westminster Standards we do not subscribe to every private opinion of the early Reformed, nor stand over every aspect of their personal conduct.

BTW, I realise this is :offtopic: but I always enjoy reading your thoughtful, concise, and interesting posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back