Ideas for late night snacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewenlin

Puritan Board Junior
I'm not sure what it is but my appetite always seems to work itself up late at night and realizing that munching on bacon strips an hour before I sleep might not be too good in the long run, I'm asking around for ideas as to what I can eat late at night.

Hopefully its somthing salty. :p

Ewen, with your Asian build you could pretty realistically eat whatever you want whenever you want if you work out a little bit too.

.... but that's probably not what you wanted to hear! (or maybe it was :think: haha)

Andrew: You'd be surprised at how much difference late night bacon wraps can make even if one is Asian. :p

I run and cycle maybe 20+km every week and still I'm just borderline on my physical proficiency test in the army. Sigh!

I don't think we asians are as physically fit as you guys

I'm not sure what it is but my appetite always seems to work itself up late at night and realizing that munching on bacon strips an hour before I sleep might not be too good in the long run, I'm asking around for ideas as to what I can eat late at night.

Hopefully its somthing salty. :p

You got sumthin' against bacon at night?!? Sissy.

Here's one of my late night snack favs- Toasted and buttered english muffin with a fried egg, bacon and slabs of colby jack cheese. It's a nice sandwich- takes all of ten minutes to make.

Leftovers of any kind are a staple of the wee hours... ham, half-eaten chicken quarters, various casseroles and of course whatever has not yet developed alien life forms from fridge languishing.

But if you must do one of those Yoplait yogurt cups, then go for it.

Theognome

Andrew: You'd be surprised at how much difference late night bacon wraps can make even if one is Asian. :p

I run and cycle maybe 20+km every week and still I'm just borderline on my physical proficiency test in the army. Sigh!

I don't think we asians are as physically fit as you guys

Bacon wraps, eh? How much bacon is in a bacon wrap? ur makin' me hungreh :drool:

Ah. I see it is a bad idea to ask for healthy diet tips in the PB.

Alright I shall resign myself to fried bacon at 11pm at night. Now I have to start another thread on what I should tell my commanding officer on why I failed my pt. :(

Ah. I see it is a bad idea to ask for healthy diet tips in the PB.

Alright I shall resign myself to fried bacon at 11pm at night. Now I have to start another thread on what I should tell my commanding officer on why I failed my pt. :(

:lol:

"IT WAS THE BACON, SIR."

Okay, you want late-night snack ideas that you can't blame for your PT failure? Any vegetables, some fruits, nuts and/or drupes (depending on how technical you want to be), pita chips with humus, healthy cereal with skim milk, light yogurt, etc. Basically, anything that would be a healthy snack anyway, although this would be a time you would want to avoid caffeine especially. If you are super-duper worried about the calories in your snack, don't eat a late-night snack! :)

How about cashews and/or almonds? They're healthy, they're easy, and they're salty (at least the can of 'em that we get at Walmart).

also pretzels, chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, celery stuffed with cream cheese (or laughing cow for fewer calories and fat).

How about cashews and/or almonds? They're healthy, they're easy, and they're salty (at least the can of 'em that we get at Walmart).

I always thought that nuts were high in fat content, am I wrong? Sounds good :)

also pretzels, chips and salsa, cheese and crackers, celery stuffed with cream cheese (or laughing cow for fewer calories and fat).

I'l try this.

One pound of cabbage and one pound of celery boiled in plain water for an hour. Eat with salt if you must.

You're joking right? I mean, you must be joking.

Nuts are high in fat, but a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.....much better than bacon strips! Also, you can try some sliced up veggies dipped in some ranch dressing, or maybe some baked corn chips with a bit of salsa.

Well, let me be a little more accurate. A good portion of bacon fat is healthy (monounsaturated fats, just like most of the fats in almonds and other nuts/drupes), however about a third of the fats are saturated, which are very very bad for you. Because of how much fat is in bacon, even a third means way too hackin' much if you are health-conscious.

Yes, but I have heard on several occasions that, becuase of their fibrous nature, cabbage and celery cause your body to burn more calories in the digestion process than the food actually contains. Think about it. Negative calories and plenty of fiber to make you feel full. :drool:

Waffles! The ultimate late night snack. Either that or whiskey.

Well shoot just have whiskey waffles.

Bourbon Whiskey Waffles:
3 cups sifted flour
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sea salt
4 eggs, separated
5 tablespoons sugar
¾ cup Bourbon
3 cups buttermilk
223 grams butter, melted

Bourbon Whiskey Waffles:
Combine flour, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Whip whites with sugar to medium peaks; set aside. Wisk yolks and bourbon and add to buttermilk. Stir in melted butter. Add dry ingredients to wet. Fold in egg whites.

Cook waffle (a la minute) in a waffle maker.

A quick spray of oil on the fry pan, a coupla tortillas , toss a handful of cheese on the first tortilla, top with the second, flip once and you're good to go.

I've been weaning myself off let night sweets with dried fruit -- still a fair amount of sugar, but a lot better than what I had been eating!

Is halvah readily available in Singapore? It's like eating dry vanilla ice cream. Very easy to sit and eat 4 oz. or more. Calming to an upset stomach, too.

Is halvah readily available in Singapore? It's like eating dry vanilla ice cream. Very easy to sit and eat 4 oz. or more. Calming to an upset stomach, too.

That's interesting that you like Halvah....I don't know many people that have even tried it!

I've never even heard of Halvah. :think: It sounds like one of Martin's cousins from Denmark. However, it sounds tasty. What's it made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back