Identifying a petition to King James and sources cited therein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Alexander Henderson cited a petition from "these of the separation" (Brownists?) to King James I and also refers to three CofE Archbishops in favour of Presbyteries. Does anyone know the name of the petition cited by Henderson or any sources to substantiate the claim that these Archbishops favoured holding Presbytery meetings?

To these may be added what upon the one hand is said by these of the separation in their first petition to King James, insert in their Apology to the Doctors of Oxford.

We are willing and ready to subscribe to these grounds of Religion published in the Confession of Faith made by the Church of Scotland, hoping in the unity of the same Faith to be saved by Jesus Christ: being also like minded for and with other Reformed Churches in points of greatest moment. And upon the other hand, That the meetings of Ministers for interpreting Scripture, like unto their Presbyteries were allowed by Arundell, Hutton and Matthew, three Archbishops in England, and proved very profitable in the Northern parts for increase of knowledge both in Ministers and People.

Quoted in Alexander Henderson, ‘To the Reader’ in The government and order of the Church of Scotland (Edinburgh, 1641), unpaginated.

The petition is said to be published in Defence of such true Christians as are commonly (but unjustly) called Brownists (1604). I'm not finding any copy online and it does not seem to have made the TCP projects for transcription. I'm not sure about the 3 archbishops. It would have to be early before Bancroft and the crushing of any such efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back