Idolatry in our hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG

Puritan Board Junior
Are we guilty of creating God in our own image? Do we secretly want God to be like us? Could it be that people (you and I) simply pick and choose what attributes of God we like the most and presto that is our GOD? Do we no longer fear God because we have removed the sharp edges?

The reason I ask this question is that recently I read back through the four gospels and realized that Jesus is not really who people think he is. Most think of Jesus as loving and kind and that is true enough. However, in the four gospels Jesus is quite harsh He rebukes, judges and condemns people, at one point He becomes physically violent turning over tables and using a whip, he even threatens to burn down a city kill everyone and throw them in hell (70AD).

Any thoughts?

We often forget that Christ put off His prerogative as Judge to offer Himself as Savior. When he comes again, it will be as Judge. For many, it will be a terrible day. They will not recognize who they thought He was because they only wanted to see the God of mercy, not the God of justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back