iDrive Online Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I recently signed up for https://www.idrive.com/index.html.

I've used Carbonite and Mozy in the past to backup my computer. I have a lot of important data (including about 65 GB of digital photos) and I have a pretty good backup strategy so I'm not likely to lose data locally but offsite backup is critical.

Mozy became very buggy and slow for me. Although it offers "unlimited" backup for $4.95/month it turned out to be a bit too slow and unreliable for my needs.

I've been very impressed so far with iDrive. I'd actually rather pay $4.95/month to have a solid 150GB storage and pay more if I need more. I wish I was in the States right now because it'd be great to see how fast the upload is on a fiber connection. It's uploading at the max speed of my slow DSL connection at home but at a measely 500Kbps it's going to take about 50 hours to backup my files.

They offer 2GB for free. Perhaps someone with a screaming connection can tell me if their upstream is reallly good like I think it is.

The nice thing, also, about this account is that you can use it on more than one computer where Mozy was limited to one. You can browse to any file in your backup set from a web browser and it even has the capability of maintaining multiple versions of files in your backup set.

As somone whose hard drive has just crashed without a complete backup I would recommend that everyone really thinks seriously about an off site back up.

It really is too late after the event and the cost of lost licence codes etc dwarf what a decent back up service would cost.

Saying that with a fresh install and no programmes cluttering up the start menu up it works like a dream now:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back