If I could only Keep 10 movies in the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Now, I have more than 10.

But I was musing. What if I could only have 10? What would I keep?

Here is what I came up with in no particular order:

Pride and Predjudice (BBC Version)
Price and Prejudice is just a classic, and the BBC version is spectacular. Its the depth of character that kills me from Mr. Bingly to Lizzy's mother. NOT RATED.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones. Sparked me to become a Archeological / Church Historian. Nuff said. RATED PG.
Nicholas Nickleby (Recent productiion with Jamie Bell, Alan Cumming, Anne Hathaway, Christopher Plumer) RATED PG.
Dicken's is simply awesome. This particular production is outstanding. You can't watch it in parts, you have to watch it all the way throught o get the "affect" it creates at the end. I can never make it through Nicholas' deep devotion to Smike, and then Smike dies. Nicholas' loyalty and firendship - wow! - I wish I were like him.
A Christmas Carol (Any of them, Sim, Finney, Scott, Stewart)
Repentance. I love this story. Hey, it Dicken's again! RATED G
The Matrix
The blue pill or the red pill? Exceedingly well thought out. Exceedingly unique. Nothing in this genre really comes close....except for Equilibrium... RATED R (Violence and Language)
Equilibrium
If you haven't seen this, and like sci-fi, you are missing out. When Scott and I watch this the first time, we were blown out of our seats. It was a sleeper at the movies, but it not only secures action, and sci-fi, but in a really good storyline that I simply haven't come across before. RATED R (Violence)
A Few Good Men
If you don't like this film, well, you can't handle the truth! What can you say about this - though Tom Cruise is a whck job in real life, this was, In my humble opinion, his best role outside of the Last Samurai (which somehwat ties this one but I would watch this before that). RATED R (Violence and Language)
Batman Begins
Outstanding. Bst Comic movie made yet. I think it trumps Spiderman I & II, Superan Returns, Fantastic Four, Punisher, etc. Storyline, edgy, dark knight stuff. RATED PG-13 (Violence and some language)
Galaxy Quest
The only comedy in the bunch. A sppof on Trek, this was so funny, and is so funny, I can't drink water before watching it. RATED PG (Language)
Braveheart
Best thing Mel ever made. Classic from start to finish. RATED R (Lots of war Violence)
Now I have a few others that are runners up. But I could be quite content in letting Star Wars take a back seat, Groundhog Day, Armageddon, Independence Day, The Game, Finding Nemo, Shrek 1 & 2, and a few others go. I thinkt he above list would keep me cinematically content. :2cents:

Thanks for the great tips, Matt!

The Game
The Unforgiven
The Winslow Boy
Casa Blanca
Captain and Commander
The Sound of Music
Brazil
Forrest Gump
Swing Kids
The Terminator

Bagdad Cafe
Blade Runner
The Bounty
Remains of the Day

Last edited:
Is Pride and Prejudice really that good? I have thought of it as a chick flick and that it would have nothing for me.

Equilibrium: Gun Katta, enough said!!!

Matrix: Genre Defining, Bullet Time etc.

Incredibles: The Best thing done by Pixar.

Braveheart was good but I think I would go with Gladiator over it.

Band Of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan: Has to go somewhere on the list.

Tombstone: Yes, I am your huckleberry

That is all I have off the top of my head.

CT

1. Star Wars Saga (the whole shooting match)
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Schindler's List
4. Sound of Music
5. Dances with Wolves
6. The Matrix (first movie)
7. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
8. Braveheart (I descend from the Robertson clan)
9. Field of Dreams
10. Papillon

10's not enough.

O Brother Where Art Thou?
Band of Brothers
Gladiator

Wayne's World
Kentucky Fried Movie
Halloween I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII....

Braveheart
The Godfather
The Godfather Part 2
The Patriot
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The Hunt for the Red October
Forrest Gump
The Shawshank Redemption

I choose these movies based upon the fact I have watched these movies many many times and they don`t grow tired on me.

1. Star Wars Saga (the whole shooting match)
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Schindler's List
4. Sound of Music
5. Dances with Wolves
6. The Matrix (first movie)
7. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
8. Braveheart (I descend from the Robertson clan)
9. Field of Dreams
10. Papillon

If I chose an 11th choice it would be Papillon.Great choice there!

Hermonta

Yes, Pride and Prejudice is really that good. Personally its one of my wife's and I favorites - all 8 hours of it.

Yes, I considered those as well - Incredibles, Godfather, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Tombstone. Also LOTR.

I think if I had to I'd replace Braveheart wit the LOTR Trology.

OK - New list: the 15 movies I'd keep in the house:

Pride and Predjudice (BBC Version)
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Nicholas Nickleby (Jamie Bell, Christopher Plumer) RATED PG.
A Christmas Carol (Any of them, Sim, Finney, Scott, Stewart)
The Matrix
Equilibrium
A Few Good Men
Batman Begins
Galaxy Quest
Braveheart
Godfather, "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
Band of Brothers, "I'll tell you one thing, though, those German know how to clean up things pretty good."
Saving Private Ryan, "The Lord is my Rock and my Deliverer..." Snipe!
Tombstone, "He's down by the river walking on the water..."
LOTR Triology, "No my little firends, you bow to no one..."

I could be totally content with that list. Completely.:sing:

I'd definitely count in Band of Brothers even though it is not "technically" a movie - is is phenomenal. I'd contest it outdoes Saving Private Ryan. It s of the same ingenious quality and its 9 hours long. Watching Private Ryan after that loses something.

Tombstone, its the best western made. Sorry John Wayne Fans and Clint Eastwood fans. ;)

Godfather. Not much to add. Classic. I watched it recently and was still taken with it. Some of my family in New England could be in the movie, if you know what I mean.

LOTR, yes, I should have added that in at the first. I love the trilogy, especially the extended version.

I'm a big fan of Pride and Prejudice. Great movie even though it's anti-clergy. The dialogue is excellent.

Sorry- Unforgiven blows away Tombstone. The characters in Unforgiven are completely human. Kurt Russel plays Wyatt larger than life.

Definite runner ups: Saving Private Ryan and Shawshank

Tombstone is indeed classic, but I always thought Kurt Russel was the only negative to this film. I think they could have done so much better with casting Wyatt Earp. Val Kilmer made the film. And of course you can't have a good western without Sam Elliott.

Bob -

What did I miss - what homo-erotic ending?

Frodo sailing away - crying on the dock?

Samwise getting married?

I'm not remembering....

On the side of the volcano where they are taking the ring. It was just Frodo and Sam looking longingly at each other and crying and ... it just went on way too long and too romantic. Maybe homo-erotic is too strong a term, tehehehehehehe. I just hated the ending. Sorry all you fans - it isn't you, it's me.

Ok, here is an exerpt from an article in Stylus webzine. (This is not an endorsement.) It's from an article on 'gay' cinema.

During the closing moments of Fellowship of the Ring, as Frodo lovingly states, “Sam, I’m glad you’re with me,” audiences beheld a relationship fraught with romanticism—a relationship that reaches Titanic-levels of doe-eyed melodrama before the hovering lip-lingering prior to the forehead kiss in Return of the King. Claiming Lord of the Rings as gay cinema is debatable, but the endless longing glances and promises of devotion provide room for questioning. The highlight of this romping occurs as Frodo and Sam perch atop a burning mountain, and Sam woefully recalls the face of his sweetheart, Rosie. Frodo gazes at his companion and, just before they clasp hands, informs him that he’s happy to be there with Sam. After Sam’s eventual wedding to Rosie, Frodo, eyes downcast, advises Sam to not always be “torn in two” and abruptly sails into the sunset. Even considering the lack of sexual tension (not that the straight romances feature much action), the homoeroticism provides an interesting subplot to a long and weighty film.

I picked this article at random. So it's not just me. :p

Top 10 movies

Chariots of Fire
Casablanca
Gods and Generals
BBC version of Pride and Prejudice
Ben Hur
Quo Vadis
BBC Narnia Movies
Lord of the the Rings
What's Up doc?
Addams Family Values

In no particular order:

Shawshank Redemption
It’s A Wonderful Life
Best Years of our Life
Crash
Braveheart
O Brother Where Art Thou
A Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Carol ( 1951 Version )
Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Heavy on the Christmas Theme !

Joshua: You forgot For Few Dollars More.

Matt: I put Equilibirum on my Netflix queue. Thanks for the recommendation.

My list:

1. Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Two Towers
3. Return of the King
4. Horatio Hornblower: The Duel
5. Horatio Hornblower: The Fire Ships
6. Horatio Hornblower: The Duchess and the Devil
7. Star Wars: A New Hope
8. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
9. Pride and Prejudice - BBC version (yes, it is great and my wife has seen all 8 hours countless times)
10. ____

1. Die Hard
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. The Dirty Dozen
4. Fail Safe
5. Cool Hand Luke
6. The Longest Yard (The original)
7. Kelly's Heroes
8. Alien
9. High Noon
10. Anything with the DUKE in it!!

Ok, here is an exerpt from an article in Stylus webzine. (This is not an endorsement.) It's from an article on 'gay' cinema.

What a sad moment when the world asserts its own "homoerotic" ideology on some of the most beautiful literature in history. Judas' kiss also gets interpretted in this manner -- or Paul's reference to a "holy kiss" ; Jesus' love language towards the disciples, Etc.

For anyone well versed in the books, the moment with Frodo and Sam is some of the most touching --- revealing a bond not unlike David and Jonathan. Of course, the gay agenda loves to point-out that "homoerotic" relationship in the OT, frequently.

Frankly, I suspect Jackson knew what might happen if he had the guts to portray the relationship as it is in the book (as it turned-out, it's rather toned down. This must mean Tolkien was gay/bi!)

Could Sauron ever imagine a beauty, wisdom and devotion needed to destroy the Ring? How could those ensnared in the gay lifestyle conceive of the the noble traits of platonic friendship? Is it possible? This is what it means to be "lost."

There will always be those twisting what is good and calling it evil. The risk on Jackson's part (and/or the Bible's for that matter) is though some will twist the truth or be offended, there is also an opportunity to learn of a goodness, majesty and beauty at a higher level than was previously known. Ironically, this is Tolkien's (one of many) theme(s) in the book!

What a springboard/opportunity to use to reach the homosexual in conversation on these distinctions. ??? !!!

:2cents:

Robin

"Captain & Commander" Russell Crowe as Captain Jack Aubrey (Patrick O'Brien books.)

This movie had an interesting portrayal of a relationship between a "Calvinist" sea captain and a "Naturalist/Darwinist" ship's doctor.

Uncommon in today's cinema; dignified; gut-wrenching; harsh yet noble. Mr. Crowe plays the violin in this one --- for real!

It was amazing to see/hear the Lord's prayer recited entirely - by the Captain along with the deep love these men had for eachother. (They could've been gay?) However, it's not likely the gay agenda is going to go after Captain Aubrey. ??

Fathers, share this film with your sons. It is such an outstanding depiction of history and what men were like at sea during Napoleon's war.

Robin :p

Braveheart
LOTR
Gods and Generals
Chariots of Fire
The Patriot (not enough backwoods swamp fighting, though).
pick any otheres

For me, I found that more of a David and Jonathan kind of relationship.
I wish I had a host of friends like the bond the two of them had.

Lonesome Dove
Gladiator
Braveheart
Tombstone
Remember the Titans
We Were Soldiers
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
So I married an Axe Murderer
Uncle Buck

In the last few years, I have come to the conviction that drama of itself is evil. As such, I no longer have any movies in the house. This is also the historic, reformed position.

Introduction

"Drama is evil." Who would ever dare to say that today? Who would dare to say that when drama is so widely accepted and enjoyed by many Christians?

The drama of radio, television, movie, video, and film is widely welcomed and enjoyed by many Christians who have failed to examine critically what they are actually doing. Today, we have become so accustomed to drama that it has become an acceptable part of our daily life. Many children have grown up with it in the home and continue entertaining themselves as they have learned. Keeping in step with those homes, many Christian school boards have integrated drama into the curriculum as a tool to instruct their elementary and secondary school students in Bible classes or Church History classes, for example. Many churches promote drama for Sunday school programs, Christmas programs, or even for "special" services. The result of having accepted the form of drama is that the people of God have opened the gates, and allowed this sinful practice of the world to invade and firmly to occupy their Homes.

Against this evil practice, which is well-rooted in many Christian homes today, the Reformed believer must take up the sword of the Word of God to examine himself, reform himself, and to protect himself from the fascinating and riveting allurements of drama.

Make no mistake, the root issue that the believer faces is not the evil of the sinful content of drama, but the form of drama itself. In opposition to that evil the believer must look to the Word of God for direction and protection. By evaluating the form of drama in the light of Scripture and the Three Forms of Unity the believer discovers that drama is an evil which must be forsaken.

To read the whole article:

http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_92.htm

Pride and Prejudice (A&E-BBC)
Henry V (Kenneth Branaugh, Derek Jacobi)
Ernest Goes to Jail
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Wives and Daughters
The Shop Around the Corner
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Corpse Bride
The Incredibles

Of course my husband would be not be happy if we threw out his Batman Begins and Bourne and Matrix movies.

David, I think that intuiting anti-clergy sentiments from P&P is rather reading into it. Jane Austen was anything but anti-clergy – in Mansfield Park for instance (the book, please please not the movie) the hero is a minister, as in Sense and Sensibility and even Northanger Abbey. But she wrote the ridiculous wherever she found it, and in both Emma and Pride and Prejudice the minister is something of an idiot. The movie was simply being faithful to the book, which happened to have an idiot minister in this case instead of a hero minister.

Has anyone who likes Pride and Prejudice seen North and South (based on the book by Elisabeth Gaskell)? I'm told it's even better.... which is hard to believe.

Last edited:
Robin,
You are so right!

Captain and Commander

Swing Kids

Ben Hur

BTW Kurt Russel looks terrible in mascara. Also continuity was bad. One moment it's late afternoon, next moment sun is overhead, next moment late afternoon.......Oh well, I guess it beat the heck out of Kevin Costner's movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back