If MP3 is dying, what do we use?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by fredtgreco, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredtgreco

fredtgreco Vanilla Westminsterian Staff Member

2. Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh Puritan Board Sophomore

Maybe, but it's still pretty good for voice. Here's an article that helped me a bit. But in the end, the only thing I really learned is that the original recording should be made in a lossless format.

https://goo.gl/Q6yGSz

3. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

https://marco.org/2017/05/15/mp3-isnt-dead

4. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

I think Mr. Fidelis got it right - the big boys are trying to push everybody to a new proprietary format so they can keep raking in the patent royalties.

For the rest of us, I suppose, there is Ogg Vobis.

5. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Yes, I don't know how a bunch of news sites got the memo that MP3 is dead. In fact, now is the best time to use it, because not only does everything support it, but you don't have to pay the price to use it.

6. Edward

Edward Puritan Board Doctor

But that doesn't sell a bunch of new hardware. How can anyone make money if I can still use a 10 year old $20 MP3 player? And for that matter, if folks don't have to buy and download new music to replace the MP3s they bought to replace the music on their cassette tapes.

7. Logan

Logan Puritan Board Junior

Yes, the main takeaway is that the patent for MP3 has expired. So it's not dead, it's actually more alive than ever.

Fake news! :)

8. Timotheos

Timotheos Puritan Board Freshman

9. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I think the bottom line here is how widespread MP3 is in terms of support across devices. Other formats may be superior but MP3 sounds great even at 32 kbps for sermons and I archive them at 64 kbps (which is what Sermon Audio offers).

If there is ever a format in the future that supplants the ubiquitous support across devices (my recorder records directly to MP3) then I can easily use a converter to re-encode but I don't see that ever happening.

JPEG was a patented format as well and, as noted, there are more superior choices and yet I take pictures with my DSLR using JPEG and even use a program called JPEG Mini that shrinks files without any visually discernible loss in quality. I've saved over 40GB in stored files over several years using that program. I don't ever see JPG losing its foothold either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.