If you could have one Reformed book reprinted, what would it be and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beeke told me a month or two ago that, once his 4-volume systematic theology is finished (Volume 1 is out at the end of March, and he's hard at work on Volume 2 for next year), he wants to re-issue his commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism he wrote some years ago. It's been available in spiral-binder form, but I think he wants to go through the text, making any changes he needs to make, and then re-issue it as a set of proper hardbound (hopefully) volumes. So, he has a lot on his plate (and he just turned 66 in December).

That is actually pretty cool. I have those spiral volumes of his HC commentary. I found that these books and his HC sermons are pretty much word for word the same. So, I assume someone transcribed his sermons. Which is actually a great idea. I have listened to his HC sermons over and over to great benefit. And to have these readily available to everyone in a nice format would be a wonderful blessing.

As for the Burgess work, I offered my services to him, to help type out the text from the PDFs. Which I was able to do for a couple of Perkins' writings. So, we'll see.

I'm really enjoying Ruthetford's "Influences of the Life of Grace". In my (relatively uninformed and unimportant) opinion it's much better than Owen's works on grace and sanctification. I heard from Dr Beeke that they're looking into publishing the complete works of Rutherford, including the Latin works. It sounded tentative though so don't quote me on that.

Franic Roberts, Mysterium & medulla Bibliorum the mysterie and marrow of the Bible, viz. God's covenant with man in the first Adam before the fall, and in the last Adam, Jesus Christ, after the fall, from the beginning to the end of the world : unfolded & illustrated in positive aphorisms & their explanation ..

No one ever read a Puritan book title and thought to themselves “Hey, I wonder what this book is about.”

As for the Burgess work, I offered my services to him, to help type out the text from the PDFs. Which I was able to do for a couple of Perkins' writings. So, we'll see.

It's great that you were willing and able to do that! I hope he takes you up on it for Anthony Burgess.

The single book that needs attention more than ANY other, in my opinion, is Anthony Burgess's magisterial treatment of justification. It is probably the most influential Puritan treatment of the subject, and it has never been printed in modern typeface. It is now available in pdf facsimile off PRDL. However, we need a modern typeface version in the worst possible way.
Yes, that one would be swell.

I would add his Vindiciae Legis to the list.

I would add his Vindiciae Legis to the list.
It is one of the few works that can be shown to have been produced at the right time during the Westminster assembly to potentially have affected or informed the debates, in this instance on the law of God. From my half of the 2009 article, "The Westminster Assembly & the Judicial Law: A Chronological Compilation and Analysis By Chris Coldwell and Matthew Winzer," The Confessional Presbyterian 5 (2009): 3, 42.
Anthony Burgess is of interest because of his book Vindicæ Legis; being on the Assembly’s third committee, he would have potentially helped to craft WCF 19 “Of the Law of God,” and his book was published only weeks after that chapter was finalized and approved. Jus Divinum Regiminis Ecclesiastici appeared about the same time and is of keen interest as more than a few of the Westminster divines may be connected with it.....

These lectures were given at the request of the ministers of Sion College, which included a significant number of the Westminster divines amongst their number. The importance of these lectures for this study is assured by the fact that this body of ministers approved of them and asked for Burgess to publish them in a preface dated June 11, 1646. If Burgess lectured once a week without interruption, picking a Tuesday for example, counting back twenty-nine weeks from that date would interestingly enough place their start the week after the chapter on the Law of God was assigned to the third committee on Monday, November 17, 1645 (or if the lectures were given late in the week, counting back places their start the same week of the committee assignment). Burgess was a member of this grand committee of the Assembly. This interesting dating does not prove a formal linkage to the Assembly’s work. However, the fact that the impetus to request the lectures may lie with Burgess’ committee formally taking up that subject, does add strength to a case for their relative importance for shedding light on the subject of the judicial law; a case already made strong by the fact that we can presume a good number of the Westminster divines approved of them....​

Burgess’ dedication is dated September 21, 1646, and the book came out according to Thomason’s date on October 12, 1646 (the same date as the Stationer’s record, A Transcript, 1.248), only a few weeks after the chapter on the Law of God passed in the Assembly. Given the dating and the interest of the Sion College ministers and Burgess’ membership on the third committee, his comments are perhaps some of the most significant in this survey, only second in importance to those in Jus Divinum Regiminis Ecclesiastici (see December 2, 1646).​
This article is in volume five and can be purchased, while it remains in print, at this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back