If You Like Country Music...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
...then you may have heard that Charlie Louvin died last week, aged 83. He was, of course, the surviving half of the Louvin Brothers (with his brother Ira [1924-1965]). The Louvin Brothers (active from 1940-1963) were one of the best "brother acts" in country music. Ira (mandolin and vocals) and Charlie (guitar and vocals) were experts at the intricate high-harmony vocal style rooted in Appalachian hardcore country.

Bill Monroe was once asked who the best tenor singer in country music was. He is said to have replied, "There are only two, and Ira is dead."

Fortunately, there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing the brothers, both together and Charlie alone. And, best of all, Charlie was a believer.

Charlie continued to record and perform right up until shortly before his death. What is now his last album, "The Battle Rages On," was released last November, less than 3 months before his death.

As for other CDs, a good overview of the Louvin Brothers work can be found on "When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of the Louvin Brothers," available from Razor & Tie Records (catalog no. RE 2068). It contains 24 tracks recorded from 1952 to 1962, including many of their best-known recordings.

I actually was a bit choked up when I heard of his passing. I was privileged to meet Mr. Louvin a couple of times. I always wondered why they changed their names. Loudermilk is a great name for a singer.

I actually was a bit choked up when I heard of his passing. I was privileged to meet Mr. Louvin a couple of times. I always wondered why they changed their names. Loudermilk is a great name for a singer.

They changed their names, according to Charlie in an interview, because people always mispronounced "Loudermilk" and sometimes even made fun of it. I haven't heard where they got "Louvin" from. By the way, the songwriter and sometime performer John D. Loudermilk is their cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back