If you want to teach...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Bell

Puritan Board Freshman
So this is based purely off rudimentary research on professors exclusively at US Seminaries. I simply looked through every full-time professor's profile and gathered statistics on only those who earned a PhD, ThD or DPhil.

Here's the fruits of my (laymen's) research!

If you want to teach at a Broadly Evangelical Seminary/Graduate School:

US Based PhD Program:
1. Dallas Theological Seminary
2. Fuller Theological Seminary
3. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
4. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
5. Hebrew Union College

Foreign PhD Program:
1. Aberdeen
2. Cambridge
3. Oxford
4. Edinburgh
5. St. Andrews

If you want to teach at a Confessionally Reformed Seminary:

US Based PhD Program:
1. Westminster Theological Seminary
2. Catholic University of America
3. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
4. Calvin Theological Seminary
5. Notre Dame

Foreign PhD Program:
1. Cambridge
2. Edinburgh
3. Aberdeen
4. Oxford
5. Durham

Again, this is purely laymen research, adding up those who went to various universities, and aggregating the data to come up with this!

Do with it as you will :)

So this is based purely off rudimentary research on professors exclusively at US Seminaries. I simply looked through every full-time professor's profile and gathered statistics on only those who earned a PhD, ThD or DPhil.

Here's the fruits of my (laymen's) research!

If you want to teach at a Broadly Evangelical Seminary/Graduate School:

US Based PhD Program:
1. Dallas Theological Seminary
2. Fuller Theological Seminary
3. Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
4. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
5. Hebrew Union College

Foreign PhD Program:
1. Aberdeen
2. Cambridge
3. Oxford
4. Edinburgh
5. St. Andrews

If you want to teach at a Confessionally Reformed Seminary:

US Based PhD Program:
1. Westminster Theological Seminary
2. Catholic University of America
3. Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
4. Calvin Theological Seminary
5. Notre Dame

Foreign PhD Program:
1. Cambridge
2. Edinburgh
3. Aberdeen
4. Oxford
5. Durham

Again, this is purely laymen research, adding up those who went to various universities, and aggregating the data to come up with this!

Do with it as you will :)
Honest question: what would be the incentive to earn a PhD from Notre Dame?

Honest question: what would be the incentive to earn a PhD from Notre Dame?

PhD's are usually about studying under a supervisor who's an expert in a given field. You usually don't go for Christian Orthodoxy, rather, you go where you can study under someone who's the top in the field you want to be in.

I'm with those who believe the MDiv is for grounding yourself in Confessional Reformed Orthodoxy, and any post-graduate work is to explore specialties.

PhD's are usually about studying under a supervisor who's an expert in a given field. You usually don't go for Christian Orthodoxy, rather, you go where you can study under someone who's the top in the field you want to be in.

I'm with those who believe the MDiv is for grounding yourself in Confessional Reformed Orthodoxy, and any post-graduate work is to explore specialties.
Well, ok. But those with specialized knowledge and expertise still carry their own presuppositions don’t they?

I think Puritan Reformed deserves an inclusion

No doubt it’s likely an incredible program. But it’s too new and hasn’t produced a graduate yet. This only includes current professors of graduate schools/seminaries, and the institutions they graduated from.

PS: I’d love to pursue a PhD from Puritan after my MDiv!

Well, ok. But those with specialized knowledge and expertise still carry their own presuppositions don’t they?

They absolutely carry their own presuppositions. I’ve heard it’s better to do a PhD under someone who’ll be more critical of the scholarship of your work than sympathetic. It tends to produced a far more thought out and “apologetic” work when confronted with consistently opposing views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back