I'm EP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I'd like to thank you for your guys' faithfulness to the Scriptures. I have recently come to hold the view of Exclusive Psalmody.

Whoever heard of a PCA minister holding to EP (Frank Smith was one)? I don't know any currently. Burden of approximately 8 years lifted! :)

Last edited:
How? I've argued against it previously.

Beats me. I've never followed EP threads that carefully. Maybe you've defended the Psalms in worship somewhere and that stuck in my mind as EP for some reason. Furthermore, I can just plain be a space cadet sometimes.

I'm curious, practically speaking what happens when an elder changes ones mind on this issue? Do they wait for a majority of the elders to come to the same conviction before any attempt is made to change the practice toward the RPW on Sunday? In other words, how does one hold to EP and not split a church apart that holds to hymns, or contemporary hymns for that matter? Does one insist at least one Psalm is sung every Sunday?

I identify with your experience. Forty plus years ago, it was if a light was switched on and things clarified, almost like a second conversion!

We already sing mostly Psalms, now we will sing only Psalms. Our church will not split over this issue. Other churches would be different than ours.

I'm curious, practically speaking what happens when an elder changes ones mind on this issue? Do they wait for a majority of the elders to come to the same conviction before any attempt is made to change the practice toward the RPW on Sunday? In other words, how does one hold to EP and not split a church apart that holds to hymns, or contemporary hymns for that matter? Does one insist at least one Psalm is sung every Sunday?

That's just wonderful, Rev. Barnes!

As to the question of other ministers in the PCA holding to EP, I know of a ruling elder who intends to go into the ministry (and occasionally preaches at his congregation) that holds to it. And I would not be terribly surprised to see him pastoring that church one day.

We already sing mostly Psalms, now we will sing only Psalms. Our church will not split over this issue. Other churches would be different than ours.

How wonderful that in the providence of God, you already had mandated psalms in your worship and on top of that, agreement within the Eldership. I'm guessing here, but I don't think many churches could make such a peaceful transition without some fallout from within the congregation.

Do you currently have accompaniment with your singing?

How wonderful that in the providence of God, you already had mandated psalms in your worship and on top of that, agreement within the Eldership. I'm guessing here, but I don't think many churches could make such a peaceful transition without some fallout from within the congregation.

Do you currently have accompaniment with your singing?

Yes and no. Depends on if there is a piano player present that week or not.

Congrats on your decision! I still love instruments with music.....pretty sure I always will :D

Wayne:

Terry Johnson served on the Composition Subcommittee (of which I was chairman) for the soon-to-be-published Trinity Psalter Hymnal before we entered into working arrangement with the URCNA.

I can assure you that, though Terry loves the Psalms and uses them heavily, he also loves many of the great hymns of the faith. I can thus testify that Terry does not, nor does IPC of Savannah (in which I've worshiped several times and in which Lowell Mason worked and worshiped), subscribe to or practice EP.

Peace,
Alan

Congrats on your decision! I still love instruments with music.....pretty sure I always will :D

EP in and of itself is a separate issue from the use instrumental accompaniment in worship, and I don't think Pastor Barnes has changed his commitments on the latter.

"Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound of Exclusive Psalmody!" I think that's how that goes. :hug:

Welcome aboard, brother!

While not yet EP myself, I do see the merits of the argument and am sympathetic. Currently I am in limbo and am not solidly convinced one way or the other. I am happy to hear that you are convinced and are in a situation where it won't lead to division. Should I become convinced of EP, I will be in a very tiny minority in my congregation. Perhaps that's what holds me back from serious inquiry.

Brett, in all my years of studying the issue (and there were many), the most thorough argument and case for EP has so far been from this book: http://www.crownandcovenant.com/Songs_of_Zion_p/ds210.htm

As being one who was non-EP before, if I had the opportunity, I would communicate to Bushnell that his constant unneeded slaps (attacks via one off statements) at the beginning would actually hinder many from hearing his argument (those who would not agree at first). If he cut most of those out and let his arguments stand on their own without the side comments, it would be a great book. As it is, I could see it be unconvincing and put off readers at the start of the book where they'd not actually get to the arguments themselves. :( But it is the most thorough work I know on the subject.

Brett, in all my years of studying the issue (and there were many), the most thorough argument and case for EP has so far been from this book: http://www.crownandcovenant.com/Songs_of_Zion_p/ds210.htm

As being one who was non-EP before, if I had the opportunity, I would communicate to Bushnell that his constant unneeded slaps (attacks via one off statements) at the beginning would actually hinder many from hearing his argument (those who would not agree at first). If he cut most of those out and let his arguments stand on their own without the side comments, it would be a great book. As it is, I could see it be unconvincing and put off readers at the start of the book where they'd not actually get to the arguments themselves. :( But it is the most thorough work I know on the subject.

The previous edition does not suffer from this problem. I started reading the most recent edition a few years ago and had to stop because it was making me angry against the evil of uninspired hymns in worship. For that reason, I am glad that I kept the previous edition and, as an EPer in a non-EP church, I may be better just re-reading that one instead.

Well . . . This is the 4th edition of "Songs of Zion."
If you think his "slaps" were bad in this edition, you should have seen the first, written in 1978!!

It was definitely a no holds barred howitzer blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back