I'm Gonna Whine a Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
Not a good day for UGA football. First, I find out that both Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno are declaring for the NFL draft. While that doesn't actually qualify as a huge shock, it doesn't make for a quality day.

But I did see where ESPN Classic was running a National Title Game Marathon. I checked the channel guide this morning and saw that the 1981 Sugar Bowl, where Georgia wins the national title over Notre Dame, was playing from 1-3 pm (just in time to lead in to the Stafford/Moreno news conference). I set the DVD recorder to record it. To ease the pain of the Stafford/Moreno announcement, I settle in to watch the Sugar Bowl game at 9 pm. I fire up the DVD and push play -- only to see that ESPN Classic instead decided to run the 2008 Capital One Bowl b/t Florida and Michigan.

I didn't realize that was a National Title Game. UGA gets foiled by Florida once again. :rant:

I'm a UT Longhorn fan, and believe you me, we can whine with the best of them. :lol: Maybe the moderators could start a Whiners Forum. ;)

'Tis good that Christian brothers can commiserate together!

Trust me, you guys have a LOT to whine about this year. There was a small rationale for UGA getting a shot at the title game last year. You guys smacked around OU, lost on a last second play to TTU, and get left out in the cold. Bummer.

How about that 1976 or 1982 Sugar Bowl there Marrow?

Yeah, well we're not discussing that. Actually they weren't going to show either one of those games (the 1982 game wasn't a National Title game, as Clemson was the only undefeated team that year, and they beat Georgia in the first game of the season). But, to add insult to injury, ESPN did manage to show the 1983 Sugar Bowl, where the Todd Blackledge led Nittany Lions gave Joe Pa his first national title by beating Georgia.

If memory serves, all three of those Sugar Bowls (despite UGA going 1-2) were very good games, all decided by 7 points or less (I think; don't remember the Pitt score). Unlike most of the recent National Title games involving SEC and Big Ten schools ... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back