I'm in the mood to laugh-what do I go rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano Hero

Puritan Board Sophomore
The title pretty much speaks for itself...
I enjoy laughing (who doesn't?), and would love to watch a movie that causes me to do so, yet most of the recent comedies are polluted with innapropriate content. Therefore, I don't usually pick up anything labled "comedy" unless it's a "classic" (such as The Princess Bride). Do any of y'all have good recommendations for clean or fairly clean comedies?

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

An oldie but it still holds up. That or any of the Marx Brothers movies.

Two movies from the Thirties: "Bringing Up Baby" (Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn) and "It Happened One Night" (Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert). "The Philadelphia Story" (not its remake "High Society," which is not funny at all) with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart is also good for some laughs.

All are classics that I've watched numerous times when I needed a laugh. And I never really like Hepburn.

Charlie Chaplin classics can also be very, very funny.

"Up" is good, and while watching it I managed to forget that it's voiced by Ed Asner.

Margaret

P. S. Another funny movie is "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy...

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Its a Mad Mad World are two of my favorites. :) My favorite comedy of all time though is "The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!" Fantastic. :D

If you are looking for something a little newer, I would recommend a season of The Office (American not British version). Seasons 1,2,and 3 are best. There is some crass humor, but I think its MUCH less offensive than most of what is on television to be honest. And it is hilarious. I laugh so hard my stomach hurts - probably because I've worked in offices just like this.

-----Added 9/21/2009 at 04:37:53 EST-----

Also, I'm pretty sure "Mall Cop" is only funny if you are a male. I have yet to meet a woman who enjoyed that film....

You know Andrew, I didn't mind that until...

*SPOILER BELOW*

The Hot Sauce scene, that was horrible.

Hot Sauce scene . . . Hot Sauce scene . . . Oh yeah, now I remember. :lol: At least Paul Blart doesn't drink, right?

I did see that movie, and enjoyed it.
"I don't drink...." :lol:
And the hot sauce scene was skipable, but overall it was an enjoyable movie. :)

-----Added 9/21/2009 at 05:02:18 EST-----

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

An oldie but it still holds up. That or any of the Marx Brothers movies.

Was It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World the one with all the celebrities and the people who were trying to find a hidden treasure? If so, I saw that, it was hilarious! I should watch it again...

Not a movie...

But if you have cable, they've been running Andy Griffith show on some channel lately, and I've been watching them as I settle in at night, soooo clean, soooo funny....rent the first couple of seasons...Brilliant!

Nothing like good clean comedy to erase the tensions of the day. Great thing about them not being a movie, quick 20 min per episode, so perfect as a night cap before bed.

I agree with Office too, super funny, although, not quite as clean....nothings as clean as Andy.

Napoleon Dynamite always makes me crack up. Also super clean.

Blues Brothers.

Since other people mentioned tv series, I will throw in my all-time fave as well - The Cosby Show! It is hilarious and very clean. It did fall-off quite a bit in the later seasons, as most sitcoms do, but the earlier seasons will make you bust a gut! One of the best gifts I ever received was the complete box set on DVD last Christmas from my in-laws.

Princess Bride
Pink Panther series
Babe
Father of the Birde (I and II)
Toy Story (I and II)
What About Bob? (can't remember the language)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjJE60RI-g]YouTube - What About Bob - Trailer[/ame]

How 'bout the the Pink Panther cartoons? Some are available on Hulu and some via paid download.

And I found parts of the new Julie and Julia tears-rolling funny, although like any modern movie it has its "moments."

Anchorman! ooops!!! did I just reveal my sinful movie taste...:eek:

If you want something decently pure but still hilarious try Nacho Libre lol, it's soooo stupid! I love it, but maybe u dont like that sort of thing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9em-ZCddWk&feature=related]YouTube - Brian Regan on Flying[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-JRQXYy9wk&feature=related]YouTube - Brian Regan- Emergency Room[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A194vDpXzyA&feature=related]YouTube - walkie talkie![/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back