I'm in the mood to laugh-what do I go rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
naaaaachoooooooo!!!!!!

Anchorman! ooops!!! did I just reveal my sinful movie taste...:eek:

If you want something decently pure but still hilarious try Nacho Libre lol, it's soooo stupid! I love it, but maybe u dont like that sort of thing

Good call, classic.

The above movie, Galaxy Quest, is to comedy what Aliens is to horror, what Ben Hur is to drama and what Fried Green Tomato's is to chick flicks. It also has the star power of a John Hughes "rat pack" teen movie. Get if you simply want to see the guy who plays Monk dead pan this line, "Did you see that door stick? I'll get some of my guys on it with some WD-40."

The above movie, Galaxy Quest, is to comedy what Aliens is to horror, what Ben Hur is to drama and what Fried Green Tomato's is to chick flicks. It also has the star power of a John Hughes "rat pack" teen movie. Get if you simply want to see the guy who plays Monk dead pan this line, "Did you see that door stick? I'll get some of my guys on it with some WD-40."

Galaxy Quest is a classic in my family! Evertime we see an nameless character in a tv show, and we can guess the character is about to die, the whole family says, "There's crewman #6, who gets killed before the first commercial break." :)
Seriously, that movie, next to Napoleon Dynamite, is the most quoted movie in my household.:)

Has ANYONE said Monty Python yet? If not, then that took too long! (There is one inappropriate scene, but other than that, so funny)

...Is Tommy Boy clean? I can't remember (there is probably swearing, but I don't remember other than that). That movie is waaaaayy too funny.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is SO, SO funny... a well known book, but the movie didn't do as well as it was supposed too. However, still hilarious, and one of my husband's favorite movies. And totally, totally clean.

Has ANYONE said Monty Python yet? If not, then that took too long! (There is one inappropriate scene, but other than that, so funny)

...Is Tommy Boy clean? I can't remember (there is probably swearing, but I don't remember other than that). That movie is waaaaayy too funny.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is SO, SO funny... a well known book, but the movie didn't do as well as it was supposed too. However, still hilarious, and one of my husband's favorite movies. And totally, totally clean.

Tommy Boy is funny but it is not for the young ones ( no nudity but a scene of poor taste). If you have not seen it I would recommend it for the scene involving the wounded deer alone.

One of the all-out funniest and of course also cleanest films I know is Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma.
Jane Austen is a hoot as a writer, and the movies (so long as you get the right versions, there are some rubbish ones) are also full of laughs.
Freaky Friday is also very funny, though there are some things to wish otherwise, - but perhaps for all these you have to be a girl?!

What's really annoying is to find things that are genuinely comic, clever and inventive and quite a lot of the time inoffensive, but which will suddenly and without warning throw up obscenity/immorality/blasphemy.

It's not a movie, but can you get DVDs of Malcolm in the Middle? That's funny.

-----Added 9/23/2009 at 06:46:37 EST-----

....and talking of tv series,
I Dream of Jeannie any time we're able to catch it always has my entire family rolling on the floor

Ditto on the original Producers with Zero Mostel. If you have young children you'll want to fast forward through the scenes with the mini-skirted secretary dancing or Zero making out with little old ladies, but Dick Shawn as the actor who plays Hitler is one of the best comedy performances I've ever seen. For anyone who remembers the 60's, Shawn's audition for the role of Hitler is in itself worth the rental price. (I can't believe they left that character out of the Broadway version because he's "dated"; my kids were born well after the 60's were over and they think he's the funniest character in the movie.)

Also any collection of Three Stooges shorts - you'll either reject that suggestion out of hand, or you'll laugh for hours, there's no in-between.

And the Marx Brothers: even the later "inferior" ones are funny, but the best are Horse Feathers, Duck Soup (best enjoyed if you approach it not as a coherent movie but as a series of unrelated comedy skits (Harpo and Edgar Kennedy, Groucho and Chico's verbal sparring at Chico's trial, the mirror scene, etc.), and my family's favorite, A Night at the Opera. And close behind is Monkey Business; Harpo is such a comedic genius that when it's time for him to follow his brothers in doing a Maurice Chevalier impersonation, you know exactly what's coming, and it's still fall-out-of-your-chair funny.

Another two funny movies are family loves are "Ollie Hopnoodles Haven of Bliss" (It's never been out on DVD, but you can still find the video in some places). Ollie Hopnoodle is about a boy's summer and their family vacation. Another favorite is is "Cracking Up" with Jerry Lewis. Lines from that movie are quoted repeatedly in my family. There is a pretty raunchy sketch at the beginning which can be fast-forwarded, and missing it will not make any impact on the rest of the film (don't know why they didn't cut it to start with). The rest of the movie is G rated and hilarious.

15hj4td.jpg

It helps to be male, although some discriminating women do appreciate 'the boys'.

I avoided thePython becaue the OP said clean or fairly clean. They crack me up, but usually cross the threshold in a scene or two or ten.:lol:

Going South, with Nicholson and a host of others. I promise you, you will laugh at some point during that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back