I'm Really Excited About This Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
The author has done it again. He has translated quite a few Reformed confessions into English for the first time. We are forever in his debt simply from his editing the Giger translation of Turretin. But now this first volume of a projected three-volume series will certainly become the definitive place to go for the historic Reformed Confessions. As much as anything, it will be a one place stop to know what Reformed theology said in the 16-17th centuries. This is a must have resource for all Reformed pastors.

There are 33 confessions of faith in this first volume, including such noteworthy contributions as Zwingli’s 67 Articles, Farel’s Summary, the First Helvetic Confession, all of Calvin’s Catechisms, the Consensus Tigurinus, and many, many others. They are arranged in chronological order, also a wonderful help to historians. Furthermore, there is a brief introduction with necessary historical and background information on each confession. This treasure-trove will also be a wonderful devotional resource. Therefore, all Christians should purchase these volumes.

I was candidating in a church a number of months ago and during the QA time with the congregation one woman asked me what I thought of James Dennison. I thought that it was a strange question, but I went on to tell some of the articles/books/resources of his that I have used and how I have really enjoyed him. I told her that his United Presbyterian denominational magazine was really helpful for some research that I did last year. Then I went on to say that I knew he had been working on this European Creeds set with RHB.:blah::blah:

After I exhausted everything that I knew about him... she said.... I was just wondering because HE IS MY BROTHER!!! :banghead:

Imagine if he was heretic or something! :bouncy::bouncing:

I was candidating in a church a number of months ago and during the QA time with the congregation one woman asked me what I thought of James Dennison. I thought that it was a strange question, but I went on to tell some of the articles/books/resources of his that I have used and how I have really enjoyed him. I told her that his United Presbyterian denominational magazine was really helpful for some research that I did last year. Then I went on to say that I knew he had been working on this European Creeds set with RHB.:blah::blah:

After I exhausted everything that I knew about him... she said.... I was just wondering because HE IS MY BROTHER!!! :banghead:

Imagine if he was heretic or something! :bouncy::bouncing:

:lol:

That is some quality right there.

I am really looking forward to this set as well--perhaps more than any other set besides Bavinck. Do you have any idea when the second and third volumes will come out?

There are 33 confessions of faith in this first volume, including such noteworthy contributions as Zwingli’s 67 Articles, Farel’s Summary, the First Helvetic Confession, all of Calvin’s Catechisms, the Consensus Tigurinus, and many, many others. They are arranged in chronological order, also a wonderful help to historians. Furthermore, there is a brief introduction with necessary historical and background information on each confession. This treasure-trove will also be a wonderful devotional resource. Therefore, all Christians should purchase these volumes.

Do you know what the other 2 volumes are giong to contain ?

Patrick and Ralph, I do not know the answer to either of your questions. I would assume, however, Ralph, that all the Reformed confessions will be included in chronological order, and will therefore contain every confession of importance up to the end of the 17th century. Patrick, I don't know when, but I would probably guess that they will come as quickly as possible. It is never good to start a series, and then have five years in between volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back