Imaginary benevolence (C. S. Lewis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The Devil and his angels seem particularly diligent at promoting imaginary benevolence. The very same people who boast of their compassion to those whom they have not seen are often consumed with malice those towards whom they do see. In the Screwtape Letters, Screwtape advised Wormwood to tempt his "patient" along these very lines:

Do what you will, there is going to be some benevolence, as well as some malice, in your patient’s soul. The great thing is to direct the malice to his immediate neighbours whom he meets every day and to thrust his benevolence out to the remote circumference, to people he does not know. The malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary.

C. S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters: Letters from a Senior to a Junior Devil (1942; London: HarperCollins Publishers. Kindle Edition, 2009), p. 28.

Last edited:
I know we all have some theological differences with Mr. Lewis, but wow, he certainly had a particular insight into the heart of man. Thank God for him.

I know we all have some theological differences with Mr. Lewis, but wow, he certainly had a particular insight into the heart of man. Thank God for him.

I read four of his shorter books last week, which are mostly collections of articles, and noticed how well he understood human nature and how relevant much of what he was saying is to the current climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back