Imago Dei (Image of God): Lost or Retained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

totorodaisuki

Puritan Board Freshman
In my latest blog post, I argue that the Imago Dei (Image of God) was lost in man and is restored at the time of regeneration. I demonstrate this was the de facto position of Reformed theology for approximately 350 years and was held to by the Reformers, the preeminent Reformed theologians, the Puritans, the historic Reformed confessions, Reformed catechisms, and the Synod of Dordt!

https://zachuramblog.com/2022/10/15/imago-dei-lost-or-retained/

Zach, what Reformed authors started to realize was that Genesis 9 clearly states the image of God is still present in humanity after the fall. This is also true in the book of James. Hardly a pernicious position. It was retained, but tarnished. That is the standard position.

Genesis 5 uses the image of God language for humanity in general (assuming there are non-elect in the genealogies). Same with Genesis 9.

Of what I understand, is that the Imago Dei is what is common in man, or thus, can be observed by the virtues of natural revelation. But the adoption of man as children, results in that image that can only be accomplished by sons and daughters, as a result of the fall; by special revelation as a result of the inworking of the Spirit in the children of adoption. For example, while the heathen for the most part will agree that murder is wrong; only children will reflect Gods image that unrighteous anger against a brother is the same thing. But I could be conflicting some things as I am not the most versed in theology or the historical positions on the Imago Dei.

Let's face the problem this way. Is the imago dei what makes someone human? If they lack that, per the unregenerate, then they aren't fully human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back