Immersion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalvinandHodges

Puritan Board Junior
Hey:

Mayflower posted a rather detailed, and lenghty, thread that sought to prove that Immersion was the only way to define the Biblical words related to "Baptism." He has done a monumental job in advancing the cause of Sprinkling as the only Biblical means by which the Sacrament should be practiced.

Why? You may ask? Immersionists pay attention here.

Immersionists pride themselves on being "Biblical." They even have a joke they pass around about a Baptist going to a Presbyterian book table, and not being able to find a Bible on it. I think they make these jokes because there is no Biblical evidence of an Immersion ever taking place.

Their method of argumentation does not start and end with the Bible, but, like Mayflower has shown, they begin with lexicons, quotations from church fathers, pagan sources, and even paedo-baptists who all agree that the literal definition of "baptize" is to plunge, or immerse.

Consequently, they stand outside of the Bible, find a definition that suits their needs, then they thrust their definition into the Bible at every point they can find. I think Pilgrim's response to this was most appropriate:

So much for sola scriptura, eh?

If I was a Baptist, and I have prided myself about how "Biblical" my views are in light of the "Romish" paedo-baptists, then I would have been embarrassed by Mayflower's post, and repudiate him for his non-Biblical arguments.

In every argument the Immersionist makes he first turns to Greek scholars - both pagans and Christians - church historians, and paedo-baptists who acknowledge the literal definition of the word. They then take this literal definition of the word and apply it to every instance where "Baptism" is found.

If we take the Bible alone, then we find that there is no clear case of Immersion to be found in any of the passages where "Baptism" is referred. The Reformed view of defining a word in the Bible is seeing how the Bible uses it - not how Aristotle may have thought it meant.

The Immersionists has to take his "outside of the Bible" definition, and then cram it into a place where it doesn't belong.

How does the meaning "to dip" fit here:

And when they come from the market, except they baptize they eat not. And many other things they have received to hold, as the baptizing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables, Mark 7:4.

Are the Pharisees Immersing themselves every time before they eat? Do they immerse the cups and pots, brasen vessels as well? The washing of these things is more likely to have been done by pouring water upon it.

What is more remarkable are the tables. Do you honestly think that the Jews carried their tables to a lake or river and fully immersed them every time before they ate? Isn't it more likely that they sprinkled or poured water on the tables, and then washed them with a clean rag?

In these instances the "water" of baptism is being applied to the articles in question. The things are not being applied to the water. The Scriptural mode of Baptism is when the water is applied to the subject, not the subject to the water. This is not only proven here, but in all instances where Baptism occurs.

Buried with Him in Baptism?

After showing from their lexicons that Baptism can only be defined as "dipping" they turn to two passages in Scripture that seem to justify their definition, Rom. 6:4, Col. 2:12. It is on the strength of these two passages that Immersionists claim another argument for their views of Baptism. They say something to the effect:

"Baptism is commemorative of the Burial and Resurrection of Jesus."

Plunging the subject into the water is commemorative of the burial of Jesus, and pulling him/her out of his resurrection.

First, none of the Gospels mention that Jesus was literally buried. The only places where Jesus was said to be "buried" is the above two passages. This seems to indicate that Paul is not talking about a literal burial, but of a figurative one - our sins are buried by our union with Christ.

Second, Immersion is not at all similar to the "burial" of Christ. Jesus was wrapped in a linen cloth and laid in a tomb or sepulchre. They did not dig a six foot hole and "plunge" him in the earth, and then He rose again from the ground. Reading the Gospel accounts how can anyone think that Jesus was "plunged"?

Third, the burial of Jesus has nothing to do with His atoning work - it is His death. They could just as easily left his body hanging for three days, and He still would have been resurrected. Or, they could have placed His body in the Upper Room, and sealed it, and He still would have rose three days later. The mode of His burial has no theological significance whatsoever.

"Buried with him in Baptism" means that we are united to Christ through His death. Paul is using the word "buried" figuratively of the death of Christ. He is certainly not using the term literally meaning that the literal burial of Christ had something to do with our salvation. If such would be the case, then it was not the work of Christ alone that saves us, because it took the work of men to bury Christ (Joseph of Arimathaea and his servants, Mark 15:42-47).

Finally, we already have a rite that commemorates the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ - The Christian Sabbath.

The Baptism of Jesus and the Eunuch.

Jesus was Baptized by John in the river Jordan. In examing all of the records of Jesus' Baptism I fail to see the idea of an immersion. They refer to Jesus going "into" the water, and coming out of it.

But did not John go "into" the water as well. Yet, John was not baptized as well at the same time? One can go "into" the river Jordan, but not go "under" it. The words of Jesus tell us that He did not go "under" the water, but was sprinkled.

First, Jesus Christ - the Second Adam - the God/Man - did not need to be washed either ceremonially or spiritually of any uncleanness. John the Baptist acknowledged this when he tries to forbid Jesus Baptism, Mat. 3:14.

Second, Jesus Christ - the Great High Priest - the Messiah - the One who came to fulfill the Law in all righteousness - said He had to be Baptized as a means of fulfilling all righteousness. This can only mean that there is a law in the Old Testament that required the rite of Baptism on Priests.

Third, there is such a law found in Numbers 8:5-7:

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Take the Levites from among the children of Israel, and cleanse them. And thus shalt thou do unto them to cleanse them: Sprinkle water of purifying upon them, and let them shave all their flesh, and let them wash their clothes, and so make themselves clean.

It is clear that John did not Baptize Jesus by Immersion, but was following the Law and sprinkled Jesus according to it. What is also clear is that John saw the Holy Spirit "descending" upon Jesus afterward. Jesus was not "plunged into" the Holy Spirit.

Baptism does not commemorate the burial and resurrection of Jesus, but the "washing and renewing" of the Holy Spirit. It represents the Work of the Holy Spirit. And the Bible always represents the Spirit of God as "descending" or being "poured" upon men and women. Thus, "sprnkling" or "pouring" water upon the subject is the only Scriptural mode of Baptism.

As far as the Eunuch is concerned the Bible says that both the Ethiopian and Philip "went into the water," and that they both went up out of it. I think it very unlikely that Philip was Immersed with the Ethiopian.

That pouring or sprinkling are representative of the Work of the Holy Spirit I will leave that to my brother paedo-baptists to prove.

Using lexicons and quotations is not the same thing as using the Bible alone.

Blessings,

-CH

Last edited:
Greetings:

I guess the onus is on me to show that the true Biblical mode of Baptism is by Sprinkling and Sprinkling or Pouring only.

1. The Baptism of Jesus was by sprinkling and sprinkling or pouring only.

This was mentioned in the OP, but since Immersionists (IM's) so desperately rely on this incident it is good to go over again. First, the IM's argument:

And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him, Mark 1:10.

IM's think this passage settles the issue. The phrase, "coming up out of the water" is a clear indicative (they think) that Christ was plunged into the water, and that he was being pulled out of it. It was during this "coming up out of the water" that the Spirit of God descends upon Jesus like a dove.

In all of the narratives concerning the Baptism of Jesus it is reported that John the Baptist was the one who saw, and testified, that the Spirit descended upon Jesus. There is an improbability here: If John is busy pulling Jesus out of the water, then how can he see the Spirit of God descend upon Jesus? Of all of the Immersions I have seen the one who is administering the Immersion (like John the Baptist) is looking down, not up.

The Bible is emphatic that it was done immediately, "straightway" (eutheos) as Jesus is "coming up out of the water" the Spirit of God, "Descends upon Him like a dove." For the Immersionist picture to work John the Baptist would have to stop pulling Jesus out of the water, turn his head 180 degress, and look up, then watch the Holy Spirit descend upon Jesus as he finishes pulling Jesus out of the water.

The present tense "coming" makes the Immersionist view implausible. The Paedo-Baptist view of this you will find lower down.

2) The Baptism of the Ethiopian Eunuch,Acts 8:38,39:

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

After reading all of the extra-biblical lexicons, quotations from pagan and sacred sources, and telling us about how Aristotle and Plato thought about the meaning of Baptism one can be blinded into thinking that this passage confirms Immersion. However, if such preconceived notions are stripped away, then Immersion would be impossible to find.

The most obvious point made here is that Philip and the eunuch, "went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch. The Bible uses the term "both" twice in order to emphatically teach something. What is it saying? That both Philip and the eunuch, "went down both into the water."

Can the Bible be any more plain?

If the Ethiopian eunuch was "fully Immersed" because he "went into the water," then it would follow that Philip was also Immersed because he went "into the water" with the eunuch. The Bible would not be so emphatic if it were not the case. The only way for the IM's to talk their way out of it is for them to cling to their extra-Biblical idea about the meaning of Baptism.

I would like to go to the Paedo-Baptist views on the passages cited above, because I find them fascinating and throughly Biblical. But I think that I should point out the way the Bible defines the word "Baptism" and oppose this definition with the Immersionists use of the Greek Philosophers.

The Bible Alone vs. the Greek lexicons and philosophers:

In the OP I already pointed out the connection between the Baptism of Jesus, Matt. 3:15, and Numbers 8:6,7:

Take the Levites from among the children of Israel, and cleanse them. And thus shalt thou do unto them, to cleanse them: Sprinkle water of purifying upon them, and let them shave all their flesh, and let them wash their clothes, and so make themselves clean.

Again, the Scriptures use the term "cleanse" twice as a means of emphasis. The Priests in the OT were "cleansed" by the sprinkling of water upon them. Undoubtedly, this was the method John the Baptist used when he Baptized Jesus, "in order to fulfill all righteousness."

To "Dip" Jesus into the water when God commanded Sprinkling would have been a violation of the Word of God, and it would have been unrighteous.

2) The Method of John the Baptist was Sprinkling with a hyssop branch, and not Immersion.

John's theology of Baptism was very simple, "...I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the holy Ghost and with fire, Luke 3:16.

It follows that John considered his Baptism as symbolical of the Baptism of Jesus when the Holy Ghost would "descend" or be "poured out" upon all flesh. And, after the Baptism of Jesus he did witness the Holy Spirit descend upon Jesus.

But, Baptism was not an invention of John the Baptist. Ceremonial washings and cleansings are found throughout the Old Testament.

Heb. 9:19 - For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people.

Exo 29:21 - And thou shalt take of the blood that is upon the altar, and of the anointing oil,and sprinkle it upon Aaron, and upon his garments, and upon his sons, and upon the garments of his sons with him: and he shall be hallowed, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him.

Eze 36:25 - Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all, your idols, will I cleanse you.

Dan 4:33 - The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.

In this last passage Nebuchadnezzar is said to be "wet" with the dew of heaven. Yet, the Hebrew word here used for "wet" means "to dip" or "Immerse." Yet, it is clear that Nebuchadnezzar was "sprinkled" by the dew of heaven, and that he was not plunged into a lake, river, or bathtub.

It seems to me both reasonable and clear that a godly Bible Believing Man like John the Baptist would search the Scriptures to find the correct mode for Baptism. I doubt very much he would search Greek philosophies, Hebrew lexicons, and other such things for his method.

Would an Immersionist like to prove me wrong?

That Baptism as it is defined by the Bible is only done by sprinkling or pouring can be shown by many other verses. Of which I will have to demonstrate at a different time.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

Last edited:
It is amazing how convincing the arguments can seem when one is already a convert. ;)

If only I had the time to demonstrate the weakness of the arguments that some find sooooo convincing ......Sigh! Groan!

Just for starters those who want to read of the Jewish practice of washing pots, pans, tables and much much more please refer to:

John Gill's Tracts on Baptism to be found here

It is amazing how convincing the arguments can seem when one is already a convert. ;)

Are you referring to yourself? or someone else?

If only I had the time to demonstrate the weakness of the arguments that some find sooooo convincing ......Sigh! Groan!

No one is going anywhere, take your time, and show us how wrong we are. By the way - I was once a credo-baptist like you.

Just for starters those who want to read of the Jewish practice of washing pots, pans, tables and much much more please refer to:

John Gill's Tracts on Baptism to be found here

"Infant Baptism - a relic of popery" - Gill is a real unbiased source isn't he? ;)

Grace and Peace,

-CH

I usually take a slightly different tack on the baptism of Jesus. For one thing, a Baptist might note that the paedo argument advocated below has difficulty with the pronouns. Who looked up and saw the Spirit descending on him? The pronouns are ambiguous. However, given the fact that the second pronoun must refer to Jesus, and given the fact that Jesus was the subject of the passive and active verbs in verse 9, it seems rather conclusive to me that Jesus is the One who saw the heavens opened, and Jesus was the One upon whom the Spirit descended. However, the passage is completely inconclusive with regard to immersion, given the geography of the Jordan River, which has extremely steep banks leading to a rather shallow river. One would have to be standing in the river to make use of the water in the river at all. So "coming up from the water" could just as easily mean "got out of the Jordan" as meaning "came up from underneath the water." If they were coming up out of the Jordan River, then the baptism is done (though just done: "euthus"), and as they climb out of the Jordan, Jesus sees the heavens open and the Spirit descend upon Him. :2cents:

LOL Okay the real funny thing is i'm actually eating popcorn right now. :lol:

I wish I was! I'm gluing PVC pipe right now, so I can't enter a full reply, especially since I'm a Credo-dunker! This will be my first foray into the baptism debate, since I also affirm the validity of paedo dunking (I wish, o.k., paedo sprinkling). I'm looking forward to this!! By the way, I'm PCUSA, and we have all kinds of things on our tables, but no Bibles!

Just waiting till the glue dries - Grymir

I am personally putting off the ordeal of digging into all of the arguments again for myself until later in the year (due to some other professional responsibilities). However, having a little exposure to arguments by people like Robert ("I was once a credo-baptist like you") and Lane over the years, it seems to me that Satch is correct whether you hold to immersion or sprinkling: "It is amazing how convincing the arguments can seem when one is already a convert."

Both the WCF and the Savoy use exactly the same words to describe the sufficiency of the Word of God to accomplish all that is necessary for God's glory and for our "salvation, faith, and life."

"The whole counsel of God, concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith, and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture; unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men." — WCF

The 1689 LBCF phrases it somewhat differently but to the same effect:

"The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture; unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men."— 1689

We all agree that the NT teaches either immersion or sprinking, not both. As we also probably all agree that it teaches either credo OR paedo baptism. However, upholders of both the WCF and the 1689 are in significant disagrement as to which conclusion correctly renders the teaching of the Word of God. Obviously, the issue is not one of wanting to be faithful to the teaching of the Bible; BOTH sides strive to do that. And, both the WCF and the 1689 use very similar words to describe their adherance to the same standard of authority, despite the fact that they reach opposite conclusions as to the proper teaching of that scripture.

"Infant Baptism - a relic of popery" - Gill is a real unbiased source isn't he? ;)

Grace and Peace,

-CH

Yeah - almost as unbiased as your postings here :lol:

Just an aside, what's wrong with bias, anyway? Are we supposed to be neutral and only read neutral people? I thought this was the PuritanBoard!?!:cool:

WOW.... VIC, actually posted in a Baptism Thread. I am amazed.

I am taking a rest from such at this time. Life is good smelling the flowers of Spring.

O.K. I'm ready!! I finished planting a Mr. Lincoln rose, fresia's, and some zinnia's. My wife and I are cooking hamburgers and some freedom fries. Life is good today so far! Time to debate and discuss, which is what it says above. Which I like. It also says something about all others refrain, but I hope people will jump in with their two cents, because I like to hear good arguments and reasons for both side, no matter tough it sounds to liberals. (Oh why can't we just get along? They don't have any opinions worth taking seriously or fighting for.)

I have a few questions -

1. What does O.T. ritual washing have to do with baptism?

2. Jesus' baptism was not our baptism. His was to fulfill O.T. law. Jesus said that the Prophets and the law were untill John. (By the way, John dunked, not no hyssop)

3. Since the N.T. does talk about dunking, why is this not the norm.

The sprinkling and pouring started with the church when the water was scarce and/or they were in hiding in the catacombs. In which case sprinkling/pouring would be O.K. and justified. So shouldn't immersion be the best, and sprinkling/pouring be allowed if a dunking place is not availiable.

Anyway, let the great conversation begin. - Grymir :judge:

P.s. I understand people's hesitation in getting involved. These things can degenerate. But that's o.k. Believe it or not, some of us really consider the things said, even if I am biased. :deadhorse:

Grymir:

1. What does anything in the NT have to do with the Old? Promise-> fulfillment

2. I am not entirely convinced that Jesus baptism is (entirely) normative for ours but I am convinced that since He came to fulfill all righteousness (Matthew 3:15) it does has something to do with me. Romans 3:21ff.

3. Where? And if the NT does cite dunking as a valid mode of baptism (which many would agree) does it make it the norm?

4. The mode of baptism depends upon what is taught by scripture in accord with what best fits the NT model. This is what CalvinandHodges has attempted to demonstrate. Perhaps you would do well to interact with his arguments and show where they are fallacious?

Hi Poimen! I thought I was. Some debates end up with people not relating to each other, but just copying and pasting there representative authorities. I was taking a different approach and questioning his premises. The question on what does OT ritual washing have to do with baptism relates to what CalvinandHodges was using as one of his main arguments. But since they are not related, I was questioning its use.

Calvin was also talking about John using hyssop to baptize Jesus with. That statement is based on the ritual washing in OT. John's baptism of Jesus wasn't a ritual washing. ie it says when he came out of the water. So that premise is fallacious.

One of the hermetical rules is that types and shadows exist, but if they are not specifically linked in the Bible, we can't link them either.

CalvinandHodges quote - "In every argument the Immersionist makes he first turns to Greek scholars - both pagans and Christians - church historians, and paedo-baptists who acknowledge the literal definition of the word. They then take this literal definition of the word and apply it to every instance where "Baptism" is found.

If we take the Bible alone, then we find that there is no clear case of Immersion to be found in any of the passages where "Baptism" is referred. The Reformed view of defining a word in the Bible is seeing how the Bible uses it - not how Aristotle may have thought it meant.

The Immersionists has to take his "outside of the Bible" definition, and then cram it into a place where it doesn't belong." - end quote

This is a straw man argument and probably ad homium. There's nothing wrong with the study of church history, and early church history is great because they were around when this stuff was first proclaimed. There are 2 examples in NT, Jesus and the Eunuch at least. Not to mention what Baptiso means. The stuff about cramming, well, need I explain it? And Aristotle? (A good theologian is a Platonist anyway :rofl:)

I was trying to start a dialog to see were he got these premise and to challenge them on that level, to take a more personal and conversational approach. I wanted to know the connection between OT ritual washing and Baptism, as he is claiming to want Biblical Proof, and I don't see Biblical Proof for the connection.

Anyway, I hope you are reading CalvinandHodges, because I am mostly answering Poimen with this post, And I do want a dialog. - Grymir

This is a straw man argument and probably ad homium. There's nothing wrong with the study of church history, and early church history is great because they were around when this stuff was first proclaimed. There are 2 examples in NT, Jesus and the Eunuch at least. Not to mention what Baptiso means. The stuff about cramming, well, need I explain it? And Aristotle? (A good theologian is a Platonist anyway :rofl:)

With respect, brother Grym ;), you missed C&H's point: He argues that baptiso does not mean what you think it means. He's got a good argument.

And the main reason I'm not joining in is not because of timidity, but, rather, fatigue. Mode is not a hot button for me, but an interesting argument can be.

Sorry Grymir. But since you really didn't address CalvinandHodges evidence/arguments in your questions I assumed you were simply asking these questions out loud.

A few books I've read recently (Fairfield, Sommerville, et al.) take a slightly different tack.

Usually when the definition of baptizo is cited as evidence of immersion, it's the classical meaning or definition. But such does not determine biblical usage... especially when used to refer to a rite or ordinance. The other sacrament is the Lord's "supper" (deipnon) -- a word that, in classical Greek, meant a full meal... but in the Bible refers to partaking of a small helping of bread and wine. Likewise, baptizo may very well have meant "immersion," "dipping," "dunking," "plunging," etc. in classical Greek. But that is quite irrelevant to our consideration.

Kaalvenist - That's a good point, although not totally irrelevant. I've read a bunch of the church fathers and early history. It seems that Baptism was done by dunking, but that a lack of water (in Africa, which was debated by them, and in the catacombs under Rome during the persecution). That's when the sprinkling, or more to what they said, pouring out of the Holy Spirit came to exist.

The use of the Lords 'supper' is spelled out clearly, so we know that it's bread and wine. And the context in scripture spell out dunking to. ie, coming out of water, going to the water. Which brings us to the premises that I was getting at in my previous posts.

Personally, I can go either way, but I'm a dunking is best.

O.K. I'm ready!! I finished planting a Mr. Lincoln rose, fresia's, and some zinnia's. My wife and I are cooking hamburgers and some freedom fries. Life is good today so far! Time to debate and discuss, which is what it says above. Which I like. It also says something about all others refrain, but I hope people will jump in with their two cents, because I like to hear good arguments and reasons for both side, no matter tough it sounds to liberals. (Oh why can't we just get along? They don't have any opinions worth taking seriously or fighting for.)

I have a few questions -

1. What does O.T. ritual washing have to do with baptism?

2. Jesus' baptism was not our baptism. His was to fulfill O.T. law. Jesus said that the Prophets and the law were untill John. (By the way, John dunked, not no hyssop)

3. Since the N.T. does talk about dunking, why is this not the norm.

The sprinkling and pouring started with the church when the water was scarce and/or they were in hiding in the catacombs. In which case sprinkling/pouring would be O.K. and justified. So shouldn't immersion be the best, and sprinkling/pouring be allowed if a dunking place is not availiable.

Anyway, let the great conversation begin. - Grymir :judge:

Hi Grymir:

Before getting to your questions I will mention others above.

Zadoc works a non-argument - apparently thinking that a bias causes an argument to be void. My point was that his citation of John Gill is just as biased as a paedo-baptist. Until he can form an argument his own "bias" should be made known to him.

Victorbravo: There is nothing wrong with a bias until someone, like Zadoc, tries to point one out on his opposition. As a VanTillian Presuppositionalist I have no problem with a bias. I am simply using Zadoc's own argument against himself. Since he seems it is an effective argument, then he should be able to swallow his own points.

Is that fair?

GreenBaggins: I appreciate your use of the pronouns. But it was John the Baptist who saw and witnessed the descent of the Holy Spirit:

Joh 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
The testimony of the Scriptures are greater than that of lexicons, and pronouns.

Now to Grymir's questions - which I believe are excellent:

1) OT washings and baptisms have great bearing concerning how John the Baptist would conceive of his baptism ministry. Why?

Ans. Because John was the greatest of the OT prophets, Matt. 11:11, and an OT prophet worked according to the revealed Word of God, and did not do things on his own.

Ans. Because Baptism was not invented by John the Baptist, Jn. 1:25. Therefore the OT view of Baptism would have profound effect on John's view of Baptism. If John were Baptizing improperly, then he would have been condemned for it.

2) I agree. However, the Immersionists make a large fuss over the idea that Jesus was "immersed," and, therefore, we should follow Jesus and be immersed.

3) Where does the NT talk about dunking?

If you had read the OP carefully, then you would know that this thread was composed against a thread written by Mayflower. I have pointed it out enough in the OP for it not to have been noticed.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

PS: In all of my posts on Baptism I have sought only to use the Bible without extra-biblical resources as "proof" of my position. I do not cut and paste.

Last edited:
If you had read the OP carefully, then you would know that this thread was composed against a thread written by Mayflower. I have pointed it out enough in the OP for it not to have been noticed.

Grace and Peace,

-CH

PS: In all of my posts on Baptism I have sought only to use the Bible without extra-biblical resources as "proof" of my position. I do not cut and paste.

Oh, yeah I know that! (that you didn't cut and paste) That's why I decided to get my baptism debate feet wet with your thread. I'm gonna try and find the Mayflower thread to see his line of arguementation. And yes, you pointed it out enough, but I chose to ignore it. Most of the threads us the same stuff over and over and over with the people talking past each other, so I assumed the same. Sorry, I'm gonna go track it down and read. Then I'll be back to disscus premises. Tally ho - Grymir

[insert Dr. Who Theme music emoticon here]

I'm back. Man. What year is this? Now I understand you're cut and paste comment, and how mine seemed. I hadn't read Mayflower's thread yet, but now that I have, I wouldn't have made the cut and paste comment.

I did think there was one quote that summed up the whole baptism debate in a couple of sentences - "It is often, but erroneously, supposed that the controversy between our baptist brethren and the rest of the Christian Church with respect to Baptism is a question of mode; they affirming that the only right mode is to immerse -- we affirming that the best mode is to sprinkle. This is a great mistake. The real Baptist position -- as stated by Dr. Alexander Carson (p. 55) -- is, that the command to baptize is a simple and single command to immerse, in order to symbolize the death, burial, and resurrection of the believer with Christ. The true position maintained by other Christians is, that Baptism is a simple and single command to wash with water, in order to symbolize the purification wrought by the Holy Ghost. Hence the mode of washing has nothing to do with it."

As an immersionist, I'm theologicaly saying it's one thing, and a sprinkler would be theologicaly saying another. The mode reflects the theology. hmmm.

Anyway, I'm gonna climb back aboard the Tardis and go back to the 21st. century - Grymir.

p.s. - that doesn't mean I'm leaving this thread.

Last edited:

Grace and Peace,

-CH

Oh, yeah I know that! (that you didn't cut and paste) That's why I decided to get my baptism debate feet wet with your thread. I'm gonna try and find the Mayflower thread to see his line of arguementation. And yes, you pointed it out enough, but I chose to ignore it. Most of the threads us the same stuff over and over and over with the people talking past each other, so I assumed the same. Sorry, I'm gonna go track it down and read. Then I'll be back to disscus premises. Tally ho - Grymir

Hi:

I appreciate your spirit, and I patiently await your arguments/questions. I should remind you, though, that Sprinkling does not prove infant baptism. One can hold to Sprinkling and still believe in Believer's Only Baptism.

I would like to submit an idea to all those reading:

If the Bible teaches that the Mode of Baptism is important, then it would follow that those who are apathetic concerning the Mode are unscriptual. In other words: If you allow one and the other Mode to be acceptable, when the Bible teaches only one Mode, then you are adding to the teachings of the Bible, Rev. 22:18,19.

Blessings,

-CH

[insert more Dr. Who theme music emoticon here]

Hi Calvin! My mighty Tardis did it's posting milliseconds before yours. And you are right about the If the Bible teaches that the Mode of Baptism is important stuff. But most of my views got worked out by the Bible and reading of the Church Fathers. They were discussing African Baptism's with the water shortages, and the Roman's that were hiding in the catacombs. The discussions (and hurled anathema's :p) were discussing the validity of the baptism's that didn't have enough water to Baptize by immersion, then sprinkling was allowed. Then the pouring out of the Holy Spirit theological reason started too!

[insert more Tardis sounds emoticon here]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back