Important Information About Energy Saver Light Bulbs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube - IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT ENERGY SAVER LIGHT BULBS!

The incandescent light bulb is going to be outlawed in the future.

I cannot access the clip from my present location.

I can say that those fluorescent bulbs are filled with mercury among other things and are ultra toxic. The U.S. government, which many put their trust implicitly, is mandating their universal use by, I think, 2016 by banning incandescent ones.

Some basic research will expose the fraud that they are either "better for the environment" or are "more economical" than incandescent bulbs.

Hummmphhh....a bunch of hogwash; nothing like the government running every detail of life. What's next?

I'm stocking up on incandescents. From my [-]cold[/-] hot dead fingers! :cool:

When they outlaw lightbulbs, only outlaws will have lightbulbs. I can imagine the smuggling to come. It will be almost as bad as the national emergency we had a while back when people were sneaking in toilets from Canada.

Ugh.

CFL contain mercury, but the bulbs can be recycled. Because the US relies so heavily on coal to produce its energy (which contains mercury), more mercury is released into the environment from using incandescents than is contained in a CFL.

The lighting manufacturers are actually taking the lead in this. Philips announced some time ago that it will produce its last incadescent bulb in 2016.

For what it's worth, those cool white bulbs are not only cheaper, they're better for plants. The spectrum is much closer to the sun than the other kind, and instead of expensive grow bulbs I've switch over completely to those 99 cent cool whites in my propagators. Don't know anything about the composition of the gas in relation to other sources of electricity, though.

They are outlawing incandescent light bulbs up here in Canada by 2012. Every time one burns out, I have been replacing it with a compact fluorescent light bulb. I like the idea of not having to replace bulbs as often, but I can't comment on either the over-all energy saving or their toxicity. What I can say, is that the fluorescent bulbs throw off a dimmer (somehow "less warm") light, that I have had problems fitting the "compact" fluorescents into some old housings, and that the fluorescent bulbs break quite easily.

I don't like government intervention. When someone tells me that technology B is sooo much better than technology A, and then proceeds to tell me that government coercion is required for the public to buy into technology B, I get suspicious. I would like to think that if compact fluorescents are really much more energy efficient that the market would gradually weed out their less efficient competitors without the need for government bans. :2cents:

It's a good point, Eric. I think the emerging lighting technologies (maybe not CFL, but possibly LED) are going to be found to be superior, and there will be no need for government coercion.

It's a good point, Eric. I think the emerging lighting technologies (maybe not CFL, but possibly LED) are going to be found to be superior, and there will be no need for government coercion.

I hope that will be the case. My own experience with CFLs is not so happy. I've tried them twice, in different fixtures. The first one started emitting an awful smelling epoxy smoke after 6 hours of use, dripping smoldering plastic onto the kitchen sink.

Did I mention the foul smell? It was the worst sort of smoke I'd ever smelled. Also, I had to replace the fixture holding the bulb because it warped from the heat.

The other one lasted for about 4 months before dying. It was a premium brand. I figured my energy savings from that bulb paid for around 2% of its cost. :um:

I like LED technology. I cobbled together 30 little white LEDs about 6 years ago for a reading lamp. It uses hardly any power and is easy on the eyes.

BTW, I think the mercury aspect is something of a red herring. But that's probably because I used to play with it as a kid, rolling it around the floor and picking it up. No question the fumes are toxic, but I think the EPA haz-mat regs are typically way over the top.

When I was a lab technician at the University of Missouri - Columbia the OSHA regulations were way over the top. For example canned soda is much more acidic that is allowed by regulations to be poured down the drain. So, in half jest of OSHA, we sometimes would titrate to netural leftover soda so we were properly disposing of that chemical. My old chem professor used to wash his hands in benzene to get various types of grease/oils off but now in chemistry labs they make is sound like you will fall over dead if you touch benzene etc.

The C-Crane company sells a lot of LED lights for various purposes. They have an LED reading light if the one you rigged up ever goes out.

Aeonic LED Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back