In addition to sizzling burgers, ...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Well, we're halfway through the week, and I'm starting to think about maybe firing up the grill this Saturday. Anybody have any good bar-b-cue recipes or unusual things that you've cooked on the grill?

A friend at work has been recommending for a while how good vegetables are on the grill. A few weeks ago, we tried corn on the cob cooked on the grill and it came out excellent. My wife cooked a vegetable shishkabob, and said it was delicious.

Any other ideas or recipes?

I'm one of the few non-hippies around who actually appreciates some tofu on the grill. Use the extra firm variety, marinate it generously with your favorite flavor, and slap it on sandwich or serve on the side with red beans and rice. Good for you too!

And if you're afraid of lookin' wussy, just wash it down with some stout beer and you'll be just fine. If you can see light through it in a glass, it ain't stout enough. ;)

I love cooking on the grill. It's one of my favorite summer holiday activities. Besides burgers, hot dogs and bbq (all mouth-watering to me), I enjoy shish kabobs. Here's one recipe:

This is a good recipe to do with the kids on a summer day or any time really. You will need some skewers for this meal and some hungry little helpers. (or big helpers)

1 pound beef roast, sirloin or any cut of meat your prefer (2" chunks)

2 bunches of green onions (medium sized)

Cherry tomatoes (about 2 doz)

Mushrooms (about 2 doz)

3 bell peppers 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green

Cut the meat into cubes and slice the peppers. Clean and remove tops of the green onions.

Place a cube of meat, onion, tomato, mushroom, yellow pepper on the skewer and then place another piece of meat, onion, tomato, mushroom, red pepper on the same skewer, then repeat process again ending with the green pepper this time. If you want you can also add a slice of an apple or potato in place of a tomato.

Kids also like to add some pineapple to the skewers in place of the mushrooms. Make sure you use some good sized chunks of pineapple.

Cook over BBQ grill till meat is brown and veggies are tender.

This will make 4 to 6 kabobs or a couple more if you put less on per skewer.

Janice's salmon sounds good, Andrew's beef and veggies on the skew sounds delicious, and Scott's Italian sausage in a hotdog bun sounds mouth watering.

...and Mike's tofu...um...its good for you. :lol: (jk)

BTW, some have told me that it definitely makes a difference if you use a gas grill vs cooking over charcoals. Any strong convictions either way?

I haven't tried this one myself yet, but I want to soon.....

BEER CAN CHICKEN RECIPE - GAS GRILL

Easy
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 2 hours

The chicken is cooked on a covered grill, over indirect, medium (350 deg.F) heat. If starting with frozen chicken, defrost for 3 days in refrigerator.

3 - 4 pound whole chicken - kosher or free range is best
6 TBSP Memphis rub or spice mix
1 12-14 oz can beer
Grill with cover; oven proof pan or dish; tongs and mitt; skewer

START your grill.

REMOVE any innards or other items from inside of the chicken.

RINSE the chicken inside and out in cold, running water.

OPTIONAL: seal neck of chicken with skewer (shown) for gravy, seal neck, for moister chicken, leave open.

RUB the chicken, inside and out with Memphis rub or your choice of spices.

OPEN a standard can (14 oz) of your favorite beer, punch a few extra holes, and quaff off about 1/4 of the beer.

ADD 2 TBSP rub or spice to beer can.

PLACE beer can on ovenproof pan or dish (this allows the chicken to cook indirectly and catches the juices if you want to make gravy.

ARRANGE chicken on beer can, allow the two legs to form two sides of tripod so chicken is stable (picture).

chick_beera.jpg

WHEN grill is ready, place chicken in grill and close.

BEST when chicken cooks 1 1/2 - 2 hours - check visually after about 1/2 hour and rotate the chicken in a half circle to cook evenly, should brown slowly and evenly.

WHEN chicken is ready, using tongs and oven glove if necessary to separate chicken and beer can, carefully remove to separate platter. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

REMOVE ovenproof pan or dish, and pour in any remaining beer, stirring, if make a sauce.

CUT up chicken and serve. Serve gravy in separate dish.

Here's another one:
Beer Can Chicken

[Edited on 6-22-2005 by Rick Larson]

[Edited on 6-22-2005 by Rick Larson]

My family has cooked that before.

We also had a lot a fun coming up with various names for the poor impaled chicken. However, it does taste rather good.

Janice is right about salmon - one of my favorite things off the grill. Alternatives to Soy Sauce are (1) Thai peanut sauce, and (3) Lawry's seasoning salt (my favorite).

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Now, I assume that since this is a reformed recipe, that the alcohol doesn't burn off in the process? Correct?

Originally posted by blhowes
Now, I assume that since this is a reformed recipe, that the alcohol doesn't burn off in the process? Correct?

Well, if that's your attitude do you want my recipe for Magic Brownies too?

I love barbecues, but I LOVE BROWNIES. Can I have the recipe, oh can I, can I? I'll even change my attitude to one of your choosing.

Originally posted by Solo Christo
I'm one of the few non-hippies around who actually appreciates some tofu on the grill.

Now it shows why you are a Dawg fan. :p

In the foothills of TN you throw any meat on the grill (has to be charcoal) that you can get your treads on.

I love barbecues, but I LOVE BROWNIES. Can I have the recipe, oh can I, can I? I'll even change my attitude to one of your choosing.

Check with your country's laws before buying the ingredients, of course:

Magic Brownies

1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg (beaten)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup marijauna
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 square melted chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix shortening, sugar, honey, syrup, and egg. Then blend in chocolate and other ingredients, and mix well. Spread in an 8-inch pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Check with your country's laws before buying the ingredients, of course:

Magic Brownies

1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg (beaten)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup marijauna
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 square melted chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix shortening, sugar, honey, syrup, and egg. Then blend in chocolate and other ingredients, and mix well. Spread in an 8-inch pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Nice recipe. I'm sure smelling the brownies cook and then tasting them will put a smile on my face, perhaps even more so than usual.

Originally posted by govols
Originally posted by Solo Christo
I'm one of the few non-hippies around who actually appreciates some tofu on the grill.

Now it shows why you are a Dawg fan. :p

In the foothills of TN you throw any meat on the grill (has to be charcoal) that you can get your treads on.
Hey, if you live around the diversity of Athens you'll learn to branch out beyond squirrel burgers and opossum casserole. Although I must say there's not much out there that competes with fresh n' tender gator meat. :cool:

FLAMING PINEAPPLES

Slice up a fresh pineapple into about 8-10 rings
Dip rings into melted butter and then into a mixture of cinnamon and Sugar.
Put the pineapple tings on the grill for about 5-10 minutes.
Heat up some dark rum, don't let it boil
Put the Pineapple on a platter
Light the rum (turning your head to avoid the flame:candle:)
Pour the flaming rum over the pineapple.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

1.Boil bratwurst in beer for 10 minutes, then grill to your liking over mesquite charcoal. Dress with Bavarian style sauerkraut (sprinkled lightly with celery salt) and brown mustard. Serve with a side of German Spaetzle. Wash it down with a German pilsner, Hefeweizen, or an Irish Stout. (Simple, but good)

All I brought to work for lunch today was a small bowl of American Chop Suey - you guys are starting to torture me now!

slap a piece of halibut on that puppy and douse it with butter and lemon...don't grill it too long or it'll fall apart.

Allan,

Some grilled corn would be great with that. And take a big soup can and fill it about 2/3 full of water and add a stick or two of butter in it and put it on the side of the grill. Pull back the corn and dip er in the can and, mmm mmm, some good corn!

Originally posted by govols
Allan,

Some grilled corn would be great with that. And take a big soup can and fill it about 2/3 full of water and add a stick or two of butter in it and put it on the side of the grill. Pull back the corn and dip er in the can and, mmm mmm, some good corn!

Good idea. Maybe with the butter, a light sprinkle of blackened seasoning.

It's the time of the year for Noonday onions. Slice them about 1/2" thick, brush them with a little oil and grill them until just starting to carmelize. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinager. Nothing better. You can do the same with peppers, asparagus, squash, or almost any firm vegetable. Tasty and healthful. What more can you ask?

In California, BBQ is Beef Tri-Tip! This is a common cut in CA, but outside the golden state you'll have to get it special from the butcher. Grilled over charcoal and served rare with fresh homemade salsa, avocado and warm fresh tortillas. Good cowboy beans cooked over coals in a dutch oven are a must have side-dish.:scholar:

And this is standard fare at most church functions.:cool:

[Edited on 6-23-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

At least it is summer for you. I wont be having a summer until the end of next year....

Egg plant is good on the BBQ. Just cut it up and put it on - I never cooked it - that is just watching my brother do it.

Cooking eggs on the BBQ is good also although you need a special item to cook it.

Man I may have to try that noonday onion idea.

I don't want to offend any PETA folks but I have more than once thrown a nice fat freshly skinned rattlesnake on the grill with the hotlinks or chorizo and ribs.

No I didn't even have the above mentioned brownie recipe and I still grilled the old diamond back. Just salt to taste and dab it in some salsa or barbecue sauce afterwards. We usually do it to freak out my yankee inlaws when they visit!

We do a little outdoor goat cooking down here (West Texas) too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back