In desperate need of computer help. Any techs on the PB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good evening, PB. I hate to post such a topic on the PB but I am desperate for help. I don't have a lot of funds to pay a tech to come look at my computer and I really need to get it fixed before I start school. I would be really grateful if someone could help or help walk me through a potential fix.
I bought a used Dell Precision 690. It worked really well until I tried updating some stuff to run Adobe and some other photo processing software on it. I now get Blue Screens of Death constantly. It has been a year since I fired it up because I got so frustrated with it. Given the time elapsed, I can't remember exactly what I did. I really need to get it running to put Logos on here and start training on it before seminary. Please help!

This is the Blue Screen Stop code that I am receiving.

0x0000003B This BSOD means that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. BSOD error code 0x0000003B may also show "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on the same blue screen

euAg0fT

euAg0fT

Last edited:
If you were trying to update it to run more resource intensive software, one of the changes was likely adding memory. It's been a number of years since I've opened up a box and played, and things have changed a lot, but the first thing I'd do is open it up and make sure all of the DIMMs (if that is what it uses) are properly seated, properly paired, and compatible with the system.

The other thing that comes to mind is you might have switched out the video card. Again, check seating and compatibility.

While Linux wouldn't be a solution for you (given you need to use Logos) you might want to try booting from a Linux DVD or thumb drive to see if it is a hardware problem - if it won't boot Linux, that will tell you something, if it does, then I'd look at the hard drive for problems. And, as noted above, Try restoring to a much earlier restore point - although if you've changed hardware and drivers, that may cause a new set of problems.

If you were trying to update it to run more resource intensive software, one of the changes was likely adding memory. It's been a number of years since I've opened up a box and played, and things have changed a lot, but the first thing I'd do is open it up and make sure all of the DIMMs (if that is what it uses) are properly seated, properly paired, and compatible with the system.

The other thing that comes to mind is you might have switched out the video card. Again, check seating and compatibility.

While Linux wouldn't be a solution for you (given you need to use Logos) you might want to try booting from a Linux DVD or thumb drive to see if it is a hardware problem - if it won't boot Linux, that will tell you something, if it does, then I'd look at the hard drive for problems. And, as noted above, Try restoring to a much earlier restore point - although if you've changed hardware and drivers, that may cause a new set of problems.
Thank you. I didn't open it up and add anything. I will post a photo of the Blue Screen message. Most of the changes made were via drivers and probably firmware.

0x0000003B This BSOD means that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. BSOD error code 0x0000003B may also show "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on the same blue screen

Good evening, PB. I hate to post such a topic on the PB but I am desperate for help. I don't have a lot of funds to pay a tech to come look at my computer and I really need to get it fixed before I start school. I would be really grateful if someone could help or help walk me through a potential fix.
I bought a used Dell Precision 690. It worked really well until I tried updating some stuff to run Adobe and some other photo processing software on it. I now get Blue Screens of Death constantly. It has been a year since I fired it up because I got so frustrated with it. Given the time elapsed, I can't remember exactly what I did. I really need to get it running to put Logos on here and start training on it before seminary. Please help!

euAg0fT

euAg0fT
Majority of the time this would be referring to a conflict between drivers in a program that just updated...

You might want to post at a solid tech help forum.
The best forum for "update" problems help is

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/

The MS MVPs hang out there and are really good and not condescending.

You also never mentioned what version of Windows you're is running. Something that should always be in a post.

If 10, you'd post here https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-a/

If 8.1 https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt/

If 7 https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/

If XP, forget it. You'll get ignored or told to buy a computer that is safe to go on the internet.

I also see that they have a BSOD forum.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/

You might want to post at a solid tech help forum.
The best forum for "update" problems help is

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/

The MS MVPs hang out there and are really good and not condescending.

You also never mentioned what version of Windows you're is running. Something that should always be in a post.

If 10, you'd post here https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-10-a/

If 8.1 https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt/

If 7 https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/

If XP, forget it. You'll get ignored or told to buy a computer that is safe to go on the internet.

I also see that they have a BSOD forum.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/
Thank you for all of the links. I am running Windows 7 ultimate.

Yes. It will.
Boot to safe mode, preferably with Networking enabled.

Open the command prompt with administrative privileges and enter:
sc start msiserver

Now go to the programs control panel and uninstall any programs you were updating before the BSOD events, then restart.

Perhaps that will restore the computer.

Windows 7 is deprecated, so you will continue to run into problems with this operating system version and software updates. Make sure any updates will support Win 7 beforehand.

Boot to safe mode, preferably with Networking enabled.

Open the command prompt with administrative privileges and enter:
sc start msiserver

Now go to the programs control panel and uninstall any programs you were updating before the BSOD events, then restart.

Perhaps that will restore the computer.

Windows 7 is deprecated, so you will continue to run into problems with this operating system version and software updates. Make sure any updates will support Win 7 beforehand.
Should I bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer Windows? I've heard there were significant more bugs and security risks with newer editions of Windows. Is this accurate?

Should I bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer Windows? I've heard there were significant more bugs and security risks with newer editions of Windows. Is this accurate?
Not accurate. Windows 10 is quite stable. That said, I doubt your current machine can support Win10. You would have to look far and wide to find applicable drivers. I have seen posts that claim your machine can run Win10, but you will have to sort that out.

The program is fine. Microsoft has developed a skill in botching the updates they send out. It does do a lot of spying on you.

As for whether your computer has the muscle to handle Win10 - I have it running fine on a laptop with a dual core AMD C-50 processor (slightly less powerful than a Celeron) with 4 gigs of memory and a decent (for its generation) graphics processor.

But at $139 retail for Win10 Home, you might be better off putting that money toward a refurbished machine .

euAg0fT

euAg0fT
My brother in law is a tech guy. He built the computer I am using right now. If you really need it, maybe I can see if he can talk to you on the phone for a bit to work things out.

One of the quickest ways I have found to resolve these kinds of issues is simply googling the error code or message. You will likely find that someone who has had a similar problem has posted about it on a forum and received helpful advice.

One of the quickest ways I have found to resolve these kinds of issues is simply googling the error code or message. You will likely find that someone who has had a similar problem has posted about it on a forum and received helpful advice.
Thanks for your response. That was the first thing I did. The problem is this error can be a few things. Microsoft had a hotfix for it but they no longer host it .

Seems like a driver conflict issue. You could try going into Device Manager and removing devices from Device Manager. After it reboots it will detect and start reinstalling them. I would try removing the bluetooth device and all USB devices in device manager and see if it boots normally after that. If it then detects and installs something then you'll know it is one of those devices and you could leave it disabled.

I had a similar problem with a Dell I use where the bluetooth radio driver ended up causing a blue screen.

Seems like a driver conflict issue. You could try going into Device Manager and removing devices from Device Manager. After it reboots it will detect and start reinstalling them. I would try removing the bluetooth device and all USB devices in device manager and see if it boots normally after that. If it then detects and installs something then you'll know it is one of those devices and you could leave it disabled.

I had a similar problem with a Dell I use where the bluetooth radio driver ended up causing a blue screen.
I believe I fixed it. It seemed stabkeast night. I am about to fire it up and see what happens. It was an issue with the drivers.

I believe I fixed it. It seemed stable as of last night. I am about to fire it up and see what happens. It was an issue with the drivers.

I don't know. It looks like there may still be an issue with the spell checker.
That is odd. My phone glitched out. I had a revised copy of that message sitting in the reply section. I can't win with technology this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-22-16-22-27.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-22-16-22-27.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, it has been a raging battle with my computer. I have spent so many hours this week trying everything. After talking with a tech, the one solution appears to be a fresh install of Windows. I would have already done that if it were in my capabilities. The seller didn't include a Windows disc when I purchased it. I used software to extract the Windows key. Microsoft wouldn't recognize the key to enable me to download a Windows ISO. Does anyone by chance have an old Windows 7 Ultimate key? At this point, I would be fine with any version of Windows that is 7 and up. This has been so frustrating as I finally caved and purchased Logos. I can't even use it! I am pulling my hair out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back