In him was (life?): John 1:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekybo

Puritan Board Freshman
I’m having a hard time understanding what the term life is referring to here.

Poole's annotations has a good summary:

In him was life; in this Word was life corporal, spiritual, eternal; it was in him as in the fountain. Some understand this of corporal life, both in the first being and preservation of it; it is certain that this is in Christ, for he upholdeth all things by the word of his power, Heb. 1:3; Acts 17:28; and thus it is another demonstration of the Deity of Christ. Others think that here is rather a transition from creation to redemption; you hath he quickened, Eph. 2:1. Others understand it of eternal life, because our evangelist most generally taketh the term life, as a benefit flowing from Christ, in this sense, as chap. 3:16, and 4:14, and in a multitude of other texts. I know no reason why we should not understand it of all life; all life being in Christ, as God equal with the Father; and spiritual and eternal life flowing also from him in a more peculiar consideration, as Mediator.
Matthew Poole, Annotations upon the Holy Bible, vol. 3 (New York: Robert Carter and Brothers, 1853), 278.

I don't know any of the original languages of course, but could this be a appropriate way to look at the meaning? The verse goes on to say, "...and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it". Therefore it is saying that that life was the light and further more the light of all mankind. And that that light referring back to the life shines in the darkness. Could it be talking about then the life with which God originally created mankind--perfect and righteous, before it became corrupted with sin and this is what is in Jesus? This is the life which we will attain if we are to die in him? Totally throwing out darts here 'cause like I said I don't know the languages and looking for scholarly critique.

Thank you both. I was trying to understand which type of life it was referring to, without considering that it could be all as Poole said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back