In line for iPhone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold it now, Bill hasn't said anything except that his iPhone is cool. Maybe this is just an Apple conspiracy against Fred.

I'm reserving judgment.

Well, Bill can't say anything if he can't get online with it, unless he was posting from a computer earlier.

Okay everyone. I crashed late this morning and didn't wake up till 4:00 PM. I got in line outside the Arundel Mills AT&T store at 9:30 PM last evening. I was first in line. I had an old Treo that I originally posted with but it lacks complete functionality on the PB. There was a core group of iPhone enthusiasts who huddled in a circle. We talked and had a good time. We even got on the topic of homeschooling which was the nearest I could get to discussing the gospel. One guy made a McDonald's run to a 24/7 golden arches across the street.

At 7:00 am a manager came out and instructed us on how the process was going to work. At 7:30 am he came out and started qualifying people on whether they were eligible for an upgrade. There was no fanfare. No ballons. Nothing. I was let in and sent to the first rep at the desk. I wanted a black 16 GB iPhone but they only had white. I got the phone, silicon case and car charger. It took then nearly an hour to get my phone working because the Apple system was crashing constantly. I was blessed. I actually left the store with a fully functioning phone. It really is a great device. The electronic QWERTY keyboard takes getting used to but it is better than what I expected. It switches seamlessly between WIFI and 3G depending on what signals are avaible. In my house it is working off my Verizon Fios internet signal. The App Store is cool. Lot of good free stuff. I did purchase the AppleCare program and MobileMe. Mobile Me allows for push email and integrates with my Outlook 2007.

That's it folks.

Fred,

Why did you opt for an iPhone vice another phone or service?

I'm just curious because I might be in the market when I get back.

I have an older iTouch and was looking forward to installing the new 2.0 software but the iTunes servers are apparently toast. I was able to install the new version of iTunes but it refused to install the new update and eventually went back to saying that my version 1.1.4 is the latest version. The new apps, new calendar features and MobileMe look like they're worth the extra $10.

I agree that only Apple could get away with this. RIM (Research in Motion) would be facing major lawsuits and customer's abandoning them if blackberries worldwide were suddenly (although temporarily) bricked due to server problems.

They knew this was coming and they should have phased the deployment over a few days.

I was looking into the new iphone but the lowered price just didnt seem that great when I have to pay extra for the higher data costs over the next few years. Also the iphones are priced at $199 but that is only for first time ATT sign ups and people that already own an iphone. Correct me if I am wrong but if you are already signed up with ATT and do not have an iphone you have to pay $400

Wow! I was just slipping into a self imposed funk over missing the release and not camping out. Then I hear of Bill and Fred's story. Wowie zowie! I think waiting until the lines thin out next week might be an adequate sliver lining for my cloud.
Dennis, do NOT listen to my Buddy Fred on this! I love the Cat, but he is a (gasp) Anti-Mac bigot. :lol::lol::lol: Hey Fred, the iPhone I got MONTHS back, I shot you some "e's" from it, it has NEVER never given me any problems. Here is the real fact people, we take for granted and even expect shoddy thing's from PC and Microsoft's Universe! It is just when Apple, from which we expect excellence, has a problem that people are surprised. Surprised ,because frankly it is just such a novel thing!;););)

Well, I went to look at the iPhone but gave up after seeing a line of 75 people outside the Apple store in the afternoon a full day after the release. So, I picked up a LP Dare at Verizon. With my discount from Verizon (because my current phone went out of contract already), a generous rebate, etc., it only cost $50 and does virtually everything the iPhone does. Plus the premium family plan will save me $$$ each month over my current plan and MUCH more over the AT&T plans.

Same touch screen, turns sideways, does GPS, internet surfing, e-mail, works with Microsoft Exchange Server that I already have at work, etc.

Sorry guys. I don't want to stand in line for hours to support the Apple proprietary juggernaut, particularly one that crashes on its maiden voyage. BTW, the specs supposedly show that the Dare is faster on the Internet than the 3G.

Pardon me, brother. I should have said that it does everything that I needed/wanted from a phone at a much lower price (initially and over the course of the contract).

The BJ's battery life stinks (but you know this already). You will give up some storage on the iPhone. 16GB is the largest size so far. The iPhone is has WIFI (BJ doesn't). The iPhone has push email for a fee. The screen is larger and higher resolution. You can zoon in and out with a just a few movements of your finger. There is no MMS with the iPod although it is very eash to email pics. There is SMS messaging. The keyboard is electronic with a very good auto-correct. The BJ has a physical QWERTY keyboard. Take your pick on which one you like best.

Go to the neartest AT&T store and play with the demo unit. Get the feel of it. Ask the sales person to show you all the features. Unless you've handled the iPhone you really won't have the full picture.

Pardon me, brother. I should have said that it does everything that I needed/wanted from a phone at a much lower price (initially and over the course of the contract).

Dennis, as a new snobby iPhone owner, I was just displaying my arrogance. The phone you got is a good buy. If it meets all your needs than you made a wise choice.

Joshua/Rich,

When I have time (probably tomorrow) I'll be writing a brief review of the iPhone that may help. I am actually leaning away from the push email, and going with an IMAP Gmail solution (which is nearly the same, I think).

Joshua/Rich,

When I have time (probably tomorrow) I'll be writing a brief review of the iPhone that may help. I am actually leaning away from the push email, and going with an IMAP Gmail solution (which is nearly the same, I think).

Fred, push email is immediate while IMAP isn't, right?

Joshua/Rich,

That's what I am trying to find out. I am currently on hold with support.

I was thinking about push until you told me I had to get a .me address. I don't want that at all (it looks hokey, and is just too Apple TM)

Joshua/Rich,

That's what I am trying to find out. I am currently on hold with support.

I was thinking about push until you told me I had to get a .me address. I don't want that at all (it looks hokey, and is just too Apple TM)

It is hokey but only YOU will know you have a .me address. If you enable email forwarding on your Gmail account those who send you email will still be able to use your Gmail account. Gmail will forward it to Apple and it will appear on your iPhone. I've had people send me test emails to my Gmail account and it works just as I am telling you. From what I have read and been told there is no other way to get push email on your iPhone. You can set your iPhone to automatically check your email in intervals as small as 15 minutes. Of course, you can always check it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back