In the Hour of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Among the works of Alexander Smelllie (1857 - 1923), Free Church of Scotland minister, such as Men of the Covenant, The Reformation in Literature, Torchbearers of the Faith, and a biography of Robert Murray M'Cheyne, were some devotionals, such as Moments of silence: A book of daily meditations for a year and The well by the way: A second book of counsel and company for the sabbath evening. I recently obtained a copy of In the Hour of Silence: A Book of Daily Meditations for a Year (HT: Adam King).

Here is a sample from the preface and introduction to the month of January:

This abiding, what is it? It is the perpetual recollection of Jesus -- Healer, Teacher, Captain. It is the continuous surrender of our bodies and our souls to the grace of the Holy Spirit. But, just as certainly, it is the habitual study of the Word of Christ, written in the Holy Book. What Christian men and women urgently need, in this hard-driven time, is to sit down in company with the Bible, and not only familiarise themselves with its contents, but hear through its verses the voice of their Redeemer and King speaking intimately to themselves. This will rekindle faith, and give wings to hope, and keep the flame of love aglow. In the strength of such heavenly Bread, the soldier girds himself anew for the long campaign, and the traveller turns with invigorated heart to the difficulties of the pilgrim-march on to the City of God.

Sometime we complain that we have fallen on an unheroic period of the Church; that we are mere

"Lingerers by the pool
Where that desired Angel bathes no more."

We see none of the visions and the miracles which our fathers saw. But we shall have the lost powers restored, and shall find ourselves in the line of the true Apostolical Succession, witnesses and warriors of Jesus Christ, if only we brood and meditate more on His Word. That divine Word will be, to these dull and uninspired souls of ours, spirit and life, wine and balm, wisdom and might.

To help towards an end so greatly to be wished, this book has been written.
[January]

This is the beginning of months, and God gives me a fresh start. He says: "Behind you the road has many places where you have failed. Your memories are not sweet as I meant them to be. But, behold, I make all things new. For the dear sake of Christ, I blot out the mournful errors of your past. To-day I anoint you with the grace of the Holy Ghost. I send you to the untried experiences in front, pardoned, hallowed, armed in the panoply of heaven."

Since He crowns me so with His kindness, let me return the response He craves. New reverence of His sanctity, new gratitude for His tenderness, new trust in His supply: these be the feelings of my soul. New delight in prayer, new earnestness in studying the Word, new waiting for the unction of the Spirit: these be my exercise when I am with my Father. New brightness in my look, new certainty in my testimony, a new beauty of the Lord about my conduct: these be the lineaments of my life.

Great book! Glad you are enjoying it Andrew. I have yet to see the other devotionals but I would like to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back