Inflation ain't new

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a word I didn’t understand in the late 70s and early 80s but I remember hearing it.

It was a word I didn’t understand in the late 70s and early 80s but I remember hearing it.
It was a way of life. Of course, the full description was “stagflation.”

Some folks were paying home mortgages of 12% or more, but it was ok because house prices were rising faster.

And gasoline? From 29 cents a gallon to over a dollar in just a few years.

Last edited:
Flatt & Scruggs? You mean Lester & Earl? And they couldn't even blame Yoko Ono for their breakup.

I recall being all excited to find gas at 51 cents only to find out it was the only way to calculate (x2) gas at more than a dollar.

And gasoline? From 29 cents a gallon to over a dollar in just a few years.
Some pumps would just go up to 99.9 cents a gallon. Shell tried to start pricing by the liter at some stations to try to save money on replacing the pumps.

I didn't remember them putting out this guide. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Shel...-Table-3-Page-Brochure-Pamphlet-/402347994072 but it didn't work out for them in the long run.

And let's not forget the odd-even gas rationing.

Some pumps would just go up to 99.9 cents a gallon.

I guess that lesson went unlearned. I recall when I was coming of age gas was typically around 0.99 but most billboards advertising the price had only space for a 1 in the dollar place, implying 1.99 as the highest price thought possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back