Informality of prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
What can be construed as informality of prayer? I certainly do not want be informal and irreverent no matter how comfortable I feel with reaching out to the Lord and crying unto him, but I am finding that this is addressed as a big issue in many Puritans. Yet, its almost mentioned in passing.
If I recall DA Carson mentions a man on a good day and a bad day and how he approaches prayer based upon how he feels and I cannot help but wonder that is the way I address God as well. Yet, must I suppress my feelings or emotions in prayer? I try to follow the Psalms as a template even though they seem, at times, very direct to most audiences (though I am not that blunt (?)) most of the time.

Informal and irreverent are two entirely different things. How much is rote formalism condemned in scripture? Without looking it up, a lot.

Perhaps the best way to approach it is to think through the pictures of prayer God has given us.

One picture is that of coming before the throne. You have been given unlimited access to the King, so that you are comfortable speaking to him constantly and you do so boldly. Yet you are still aware that he is the King, and it will affect the way you address him. Be aware that this is your situation and speak accordingly.

Another picture is that of a child with his Father. Again, you will be comfortable and open, and in some ways maybe even casual, and certainly bold, but he is still your Father and the respect you owe him will affect the way you speak to him.

One picture is that of coming before the throne. You have been given unlimited access to the King, so that you are comfortable speaking to him constantly and you do so boldly. Yet you are still aware that he is the King, and it will affect the way you address him. Be aware that this is your situation and speak accordingly.

Another picture is that of a child with his Father. Again, you will be comfortable and open, and in some ways maybe even casual, and certainly bold, but he is still your Father and the respect you owe him will affect the way you speak to him.
Sounds like you have been listening to Martyn Lloyd-Jones sermons on revival :) He makes the same point.

Last edited:
Yet, its almost mentioned in passing.
If I recall, DA Carson mentions a man on a good day and a bad day and how he approaches prayer based upon how he feels, and I cannot help but wonder that is the way I address God as well. Yet, must I suppress my feelings or emotions in prayer? I try to follow the Psalms as a template even though they seem, at times, very direct to most audiences (though I am not that blunt (?)) most of the time.

First. I agree wholeheartedly with what @ZackF said in post #2

Since God knows you completely, you can and should always be as natural and honest with Him as is possible. The truth found in Jeremiah 17:9 will often get in your way, so confess to Him that you do not even know your own heart very well. I can thankfully say that this doesn't happen to me much anymore, but when there are times when I don't feel like praying the first thing I say to God in prayer is, "O Lord, you know me perfectly, and I freely admit that right now I don't feel like praying. Please forgive me and help me by thy Holy Spirit to pray." Or words to that effect, and proceed from there. I call this "prayer regression." There is always a point at which you can start. NEVER put on an air of formality.

About five years ago, when the Lord began to revive my sorry state, again and again, I found that my starting point was, "O Lord, you are my only hope. I have very little else I can say to you right now. If You do not help me, I will not be helped. I have nothing to offer You but to say again, You are my only hope. Your mercy is the only thing that will help me. I haven't much hope, but it is only in you."

There is always a starting point in our praying to God. A point of honesty. Keep backing up (regressing) until you find it and start there.

Psalms 51:6 (KJV)
Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

I recently got into memorizing scripture and one that really humbles me is Psalm 145:1-3.
1 I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. 2 Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. 3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable.
There’s something about reciting this that grounds me. In part because I can’t truthfully admit I can say I can even come close right now to doing this sincerely. But some day, God willing, I will...

First. I agree wholeheartedly with what @ZackF said in post #2

Since God knows you completely, you can and should always be as natural and honest with Him as is possible. The truth found in Jeremiah 17:9 will often get in your way, so confess to Him that you do not even know your own heart very well. I can thankfully say that this doesn't happen to me much anymore, but when there are times when I don't feel like praying the first thing I say to God in prayer is, "O Lord, you know me perfectly, and I freely admit that right now I don't feel like praying. Please forgive me and help me by thy Holy Spirit to pray." Or words to that effect, and proceed from there. I call this "prayer regression." There is always a point at which you can start. NEVER put on an air of formality.

About five years ago, when the Lord began to revive my sorry state, again and again, I found that my starting point was, "O Lord, you are my only hope. I have very little else I can say to you right now. If You do not help me, I will not be helped. I have nothing to offer You but to say again, You are my only hope. Your mercy is the only thing that will help me. I haven't much hope, but it is only in you."

There is always a starting point in our praying to God. A point of honesty. Keep backing up (regressing) until you find it and start there.

Psalms 51:6 (KJV)
Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
Ed, you are always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back