information on a theological Controversy within the Korean Presbyterian Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris M

Puritan Board Freshman
Recently I have been hearing about a theological controversy within the Korean Presbyterians Church - especially in South Korea but also influencing Korean Christians in North America. Speaking to some Koreans in my context there seems to a rejection of the covenant of works, and the active and passive obedience of Christ - specifically whether the active obedience of Christ is accounted to those who believe in Christ as is summarized the q. 60 Heidelberg Catechism.

"Question 60: How art thou righteous before God?
Answer: Only by a true faith in Jesus Christ; so that, though my conscience accuse me, that I have grossly transgressed all the commandments of God, and kept none of them, and am still inclined to all evil; notwithstanding, God, without any merit of mine, but only of mere grace, grants and imputes to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ; even so, as if I never had had, nor committed any sin; yea, as if I had fully accomplished all that obedience which Christ has accomplished for me, inasmuch as I embrace such benefit with a believing heart."

When I googled this / searched the forums on Puritan Board nothing came up. If you have any information or resources which deal specifically with this controversy within the Korean Presbyterian Church I would appreciate them!

It depends which Korean Presbyterian Church you're referring to. I know that the Kosin church has been influenced somewhat by the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands (Liberated) -- also known as the GKV. Those views would certainly not be unheard of in the GKV. But perhaps Federal Vision theology is also making inroads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back