Information on The Pulpit Commentary (23 Volumes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
Does anyone have, use or know anything about The Pulpit Commentary (23 Volumes)? Do you recommend it?

I don't know anything about it but that it's old (late 19th century) which is a possible plus. Perhaps some of you can shed some light on this set for me.

I own the set and enjoy it but I'm no expert in Reformed Theology. I do not know the background of H.D. Spence and Joseph Exell who were the editors of the series. If they are reformed or not. I enjoy the homiletics section on each book. Gives me ideals to meditate upon.

Seeing how I am not a pastor I do not use the set for sermon prep. Just for self edification. So I can not tell you if they would be good for sermon prep. If thats why you are interstead in them.

I have it in my logos library and have only used it for parts of leviticus. I'm not sure of its particular theological bent though. Seemed solid in what I needed it for.

Thanks for the information. Most of the volumes are readable on Google Books. I scanned several pages to get a feel, but thought of asking some of you. From what I could see, it looked pretty solid, but then I didn't read that much. It also appears to be mostly a collection of homiletical resources for any given passage. Kind of like Spurgeon's The Treasury of David, with it "Hints to the Village Preacher."

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

I tried using it a few times and didn't care for the set.

What, may I ask, did you not care for?

I have an electronic version of TPC (a single disk with a PDF file containing all the volumes). It is useful, particularly in helping outline sermons. The homiletical breakdowns are generally good. If I recall correctly, it's not particularly reformed in content, however. I can't remember anything specific, but I noticed an Arminian bend in some cases. But there are several contributors to the series, so this may not be universal.

I use it from time to time. Useful for an outline.

I saw that Wordsearch has released the Job book in the series just last week.

AMR

What, may I ask, did you not care for?

I am sorry, but I don't remember exactly. I know I tried to use it three times and never found what I was looking for each time. I placed it in the same catigory as Barnes Notes. If I use a commentary a few times and I don't get what I'm looking for, I just quit looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back