Installation Services/Particularization Services on the Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
In my OPC presbytery, we recently had a particularization service for a new congregation. I believe the pastor was also installed at the same time. (I could be wrong about that.)

Someone I know told me that he didn't attend the particularization service because he doesn't believe that such services should be held on the Lord's Day. I don't remember what his reasons were.

I don't see what the problem is, myself.

What say you? Are installation services or particularization services legitimate on the Lord's Day?

Usually, in this part of the world, services to ordain ruling elders take place on the Lord's Day. By way of contrast, services to ordain ministers usually take place on a Friday night. I suspect the reason for the difference is nothing to do with the Sabbath per se, but just the practical reality that more people from outside the congregation are either required or likely to attend a minister's ordination, which they could not do conveniently were it to be held on the Lord's Day.

I don't think I've ever been to one that took place on any other day of the week. Why would it not be included among "public and private exercises of worship"?

Well for one thing the induction/ordination of a minister requires the attendance of the Presbytery, the ministerial members of which (at least) usually have other duties to attend to on the Sabbath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back