Interesting places on the outer banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlcnwy

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey all. I am currently on vacation on the outer banks of North Carolina. I am attending my church via zoom, so that is covered. I was wondering if any of you on this board had suggestions for interesting places to go?

My favorite spot on the Outer Banks no longer exists. I used to enjoy the Hatteras Lighthouse when it sat right on the beach, before they moved it. The point at Hatteras Inlet is still a nice "end of the world" spot, though, if you have a vehicle that can take you there.

The Wright Brothers Memorial is a must-see, especially if the indoor exhibits are open and if the ranger talks are happening. The Wright Brothers' story is highly interesting, and hearing it told by someone who knows it well can be a treat.

If you care to venture that far, Ocracoke is the perfect Outer Banks town. I don't know where you're staying, but consider making Ocracoke a day trip. The ferry to Ocracoke Island is part of the experience, and the town itself is delightful. An unhurried meal overlooking the harbor can't be beat, even if it means you have to travel back to your base after dark.

I've never stayed on the Outer Banks over a weekend, so I haven't really looked at churches. Pickings are slim, I think. Still, you might want to consider actually trying to meet and worship, face to face, with some of Christ's people in that area.

My favorite spot on the Outer Banks no longer exists. I used to enjoy the Hatteras Lighthouse when it sat right on the beach, before they moved it. The point at Hatteras Inlet is still a nice "end of the world" spot, though, if you have a vehicle that can take you there.

The Wright Brothers Memorial is a must-see, especially if the indoor exhibits are open and if the ranger talks are happening. The Wright Brothers' story is highly interesting, and hearing it told by someone who knows it well can be a treat.

If you care to venture that far, Ocracoke is the perfect Outer Banks town. I don't know where you're staying, but consider making Ocracoke a day trip. The ferry to Ocracoke Island is part of the experience, and the town itself is delightful. An unhurried meal overlooking the harbor can't be beat, even if it means you have to travel back to your base after dark.

I've never stayed on the Outer Banks over a weekend, so I haven't really looked at churches. Pickings are slim, I think. Still, you might want to consider actually trying to meet and worship, face to face, with some of Christ's people in that area.
Some years back (before covid/zoom) I did stumble across a fine baptist church when I was down here one Sunday. Kitty Hawk Baptist, I believe.

Where in the Outer Banks are you Daniel? My family is currently in Duck on vacation for the week.

Yesterday we went to the aquarium on Roanoke Island and then to Darrell's for a seafood lunch. On a previous trip we visited The Lost Colony on Roanoke Island, which was fun.

I agree with Jack on the Wright Brothers Memorial. We visited there previously and enjoyed it.

Enjoy your vacation!

I agree with everything else posted here.

I have family in Southern Shores and visit almost yearly. There is also Bodie lighthouse and Manteo is a nice small town.

You could also go to to Corolla at the NC/VA border and see the wild horses run. If they are open again, you can rent ATVs on the beach.

Don’t forget Jockey’s Ridge which is the largest sand dune on the east coast. You can hang glide there. A local trick is to go about an hour before sunset since it’s not that hot anymore and you can get incredible views of the sound and ocean during sunset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like fishing, I've enjoyed fishing off the piers in OBX. The sand dunes are also amazing!

Where in the Outer Banks are you Daniel? My family is currently in Duck on vacation for the week.

Yesterday we went to the aquarium on Roanoke Island and then to Darrell's for a seafood lunch. On a previous trip we visited The Lost Colony on Roanoke Island, which was fun.

I agree with Jack on the Wright Brothers Memorial. We visited there previously and enjoyed it.

Enjoy your vacation!
My family (extended) and I are down on the opposite end of the island, near Hatteras village. What a wonderful coincidence that you are down here this week. Tell me, do you have a single adult male in your family 30 years old or so? I have a single niece that I would like to introduce to some quality people. I have a beach permit for the jeep so I could take him offroad.

Jockey’s Ridge

I have memories of those dunes from my youth.

I'm not sure how you are going home, but New Bern is a nice, small, coastal town - though possibly (much) too far out of your way. Not sure if the Tryon Palace is open, but it is worth seeing if you are in town.

My family (extended) and I are down on the opposite end of the island, near Hatteras village. What a wonderful coincidence that you are down here this week. Tell me, do you have a single adult male in your family 30 years old or so? I have a single niece that I would like to introduce to some quality people. I have a beach permit for the jeep so I could take him offroad.

No, no single adult males in my group.

Hope you enjoy your vacation friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back